Dijkmans' 2006 Tour

Hendie

We are planning a tour this August, mainly of Ontario, The Great Lakes, Niagara Valley, Ottawa, and then as a side trip on our ways back through the 'States, a visit to Mount Rushmore. Below is a map of our intended route. I would VERY much like to meet as many SACanadians on the way as I can, so PLEASE reply to this about where on our route we may stop a while to say hi to you. :( Also we are still looking for places of interest en route, so please tell us about the sight-worthy places along the route that you know of and would recommend!

2006toursmall.gif

click for bigger version (500kb)

Detail of Ontario

:rolleyes: Hendie

Well now....if you would take your route a bit more east...... :rolleyes:

Nice trip you have planned there Hendie.

You guys are more than welcome to look us up when in the Burlington area.

Do you have more specific dates as to when you will be on this side of the planet?

Will you be hoteling, camping, B&Bing?

Is there a reason why you will be going south into the States at Sault Ste. Marie. If not, I would say carry on on Hwy 17 until you get to Espanola and then come south to Manitoulin Island, from there you get the ferry down to Tobermory.

I would suggest that you stay away from the area from Sudbury, Parry Sound down to about Barrie, thats if you don't like holiday crowds. It will be peak season around August and this area known as 'cottage country' is know to have upset a family vacation due to congestion, irritation, short tempers and huge traffic snarl-ups.

The area around Tobermory has some of the worlds best fresh water diving, with trips in glass bottomed boats going out into the lake to view the shipwrecks. The water is crystal clear.

Coming further south down the Bruce Peninsula you get into Amish/Mennonite country which is really neat if you want to see how they did it yesteryear and still to this day. St Jacobs is pretty much the centre of it all.

A lot of stuff still gets done by hand and it's not uncommon to see horses and carriages along the road.

Unfortunately the folk have realised that these are enterpising times that we live in, so their prices do reflect this. ;) The furniture and quitling is impressive.

Niagara falls is nice, but once again prepare yourself for the prices and crowds.

The wines in the area are not too bad either :rolleyes: with wine tours and tastings on offer, OK so it's not what you would have been use to back in your old valley, but they do try :(

How about MN instead of Iowa? Take the family to see the land of 15 000 lakes? Mall Of America? :rolleyes:

Edited by Monique

Hendie,

In South Dakota, you may want to stop in at the Badlands National Park, some 80 miles or so east of Rapid City. You'll sommer feel at home there. Between it and the City you can also visit the Minuteman National memorial ( I think it is a "memorial") . There you can tour the actual silos. If that's not available that day ( you have to book), you can catch the one at the Ellsworth Air force Base at Rapid City. Do stop in a Wall Drug Store in Wall. You'll have to buy some or other cowboy thing there.

Go see the Gutson Borglum Museum ( I think it was in Keystone near Rapid City) and look at the miniature statue of the Returning Boer Fighter. Beautifully done. I'd like to ask George Bush to donate that to the Afrikaner Nation before it finally is erased as an ethnic group.

Sleep over in Custer.....the food is very good and it is the cheapest place to eat in North America as far a I am concerned. Take a drive through Custer State Park and go see the massive Crazy Horse memorial being "carved".

Soon after crossing into Wyoming, you'll get Sundance. Go to the County Courthouse and see the statue of The Sundance Kid sitting in front of the building.

A few miles further is Devils Tower. You obviously can't miss that.

If you have a bit of time, I suggest you add the following to your trip:

From Sheridan in Wyoming, take the Alternative Route 14 to Cody. This will be the one of highest ( and certainly steepest) passes you'll ever do in your life. On top of the Big Horn Mountains you can go see the Medicine Wheel ( if you have the guts at 9,000 feet). I strongly suggest you sleep in Cody. Places to stay get tough from there.

From Cody turn north and do the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway ( route 296), but do not enter Yellowstone. Instead turn back northeast to do the Beartooth Pass at 10,947. ( do not put in alcohol mixes in your car at high altitude...gas is cheap enough in Wyoming)

If the Beartooth is closed, double back through Yellowstone's northern loop if you don't want to be stuck in its traffic. Mammoth Springs in the north are alway impressive. You can obviously do the rest of Yellowstone if you want. Most folks might want to make that a separate trip, though.

Glacier National Park is not on your trip....have you seen it before? You are passing very close to it on the Canadian border.

When exactly Hendie?

I am sure we could organise a meeting at the Niblick and you could meet the Boeremafia here and have a drink or two.

By the way I did almost exactly the same trip around the St Lawrence River last year. There are plenty of interesting places to go and see along the way.

Hendie, I assume your route will take you through the Yellowstone Park.

As far as Great Falls, Montana, is concerned - there is not much to see, just another town without any falls.

But if you have not been through the Galcier Ntl Park, that would be a worthwhile detour to make in Montana.

If you have to skip MN :rolleyes: then I do recommend seeing the Corn Palace in Mitchel, South Dakota - Corn Palace Pics It is pretty cool.

Also Sturgis (SD) in general is going to be pretty busy in August seeing the 66th Annual Black Hills Motorcycle Rally :rolleyes:

Oe ja, for sure the trip Harry is suggesting....... it is fabulous! We did that same route some 22 years ago - absolutely recommended!

Somehow I just can't imagine Hendie at Sturgis. :rolleyes::rolleyes::D

Although a friend of mine was there two years ago he told me that there where four pins in the world map (where you come from map) from SA.

Good idea Charles, I am in for a Niblick night when Hendie is in town, you are of course also welcome to join us at home and throw a "mossie" or two on the braai. I am fairly certain I can find somewhere around here to buy some beer too :rolleyes:

This attraction is on your route. We visited it once, and it's difficult not to stand in awe. Have a look at some of the photos on the website.

House on the Rock

House on the Rock 1

Cathy K.

Edited by Die Kotzé's

OK, lemme answer some of the questions and suggestions (you will notice the route has been updated somewhat) :

Liz Nie dié keer nie Liz. Vir die Maritimes dink ek ons sal liefs uitvlieg en iets daar huur. Maar dis 'n ander jaar.

shaun Thanks for the suggestion of the Chi-Cheemaun Ferry Shaun, route adjusted accordingly. We actually DID plan to do that, but for some reason MS Streets and Trips 2003 would not allow me to follow that route, with the 2006 version the ferry route is included, and I could change the map. Our trip TO Niagara is going to be some hard driving (except for a one day layover in Thunderbay), so we won't have much time to stop for sightseeing this time - we will keep an eye out for tourist attractions along the way though! My father-n-law is a wine farmer, and that is part of the reason why we're aiming for Niagara. He has seen the Okanagan and Nappa on previous visits, so all that's really left is the Niagara valley.

Monique Ons beplan nog die VSA gedeelte van die toer, so wie weet, dalk maak ons die swenk in MN in. :ph34r: Sover is Mitchell op ons roete, so ons sal verseker by die Corn Palace 'n draai maak, thanks! Ons sal maar wyd hou ommie ysterperde in Sturgis, dankie vir die waarskuwing. :D

Harry Ek sal verseker jou voorstelle in ag neem, weet net nognie presies hoeveel tyd ons in die VSA gaan oorhê nie. Sal julle op datum hou met hoe die toerbeplanning vorder!

Charles We're at the KOA in Niagara from Aug 6 to 13. So let me know whether that would work for you, and I will do my best to meet you guys there!

Pierre Ons sal nog sien of ons deur Yellowstone sal kom, Oupa en Ouma was al daar, so dis nie so belangrik vir ons dié keer nie. Ons sal waarskynlik net deurry by Great Falls, het al 'n naweek daar deurgebring, so ons ken die omgewing. Glacier Park is een van ons gunsteling naweek wegbreke, maar op daai stadium sal ons al uitgekuier wees en 'n lyn sny huistoe!

Die Kotzé's Dankie vir die verwysing Cathy, ons sal sien hoe ons planne loop en of die House on the Rock 'n oornag moontlikheid kan wees. Die beplanning gaan nog voort!

Please keep the ideas coming, esp. in the Niagara region, we'd prefer recommendations from you than to have to rely on travel magazines.

Thanks so far, you are a wonderful bunch of friends!

:blink: Hendie

Hendie

If you are aiming for Niagara and not wanting to go into Toronto from Thunder Bay, then I'd suggest staying on Hwy 6 and don't do the little eastward leg north of Toronto. Just keep going south on hwy 6. It's mostly an 80km/h zone I know but at least you can travel at 80km/h all the way down to the 403 except maybe for a short section or two through the Guelph area. It's almost a straight line south from Tobemory to the 403/hwy 6 junction.

Looking at your map it looks like you will be using the 400 south into Toronto this is a 100km/h zone, but the chances of you getting up to 60 km/h are pretty slim (depending on the time of day/night). Remember it's cottage season and that is the major (basically only) route to and from the north. You will get some heavy traffic along that part of the road.

If Toronto is on your radar purely for sight seeing then rather settle in in Niagara and drive through to Toronto for one of the days.

You wouldn't need to drive all the way. Only as far as Hamilton, Burlington, Oakville, etc and then use the http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/home.htm to get you into Toronto. No parking hassles or driving in our (Jo'burg on steroids) traffic. All the sight seeing tours, CN Tower, Centre Island Ferry, subway system, etc are within 10min walking distance of the major train station (Union) in down town Toronto.

The wine region starts basically just south of Grimsby all the way down to Niagara, once you are on the 403 it will only be a 20 min to half hour drive before you start seeing the vinyards. I do believe that there are one or two exSA wine farmers in the area too. Looking at some of the farm names there are a few Dutch farmers aswell.

I would agree with Shaun that instead of going across to the 400 stay on 6 south and go through Guelph...but...be careful as the Highway stops at one junction and continues on further west as 6 again at the norht end of Guelph.

By the way it goes past Sleemans as well! :blink:

I think I will put the Niblick back to the 9th August so that we can have an opskop with Hendie as well.

Shaun is right as well. Do youtrself a favour and go to Burlington and catch the GO train form there and spend the day in Toronto. Much less hassle than braving the local driving conditions.

• 4 weeks later...

Hendie,

I have moved the normal Niblick Meeting back to the Second Thursday of August and will notify everyone as to why and hope we get a good turnout to welcome you.

No doubt Merv, Shaun, Clive will make an effort to have a frostie at least.

Hendie, ek gaan jou lewendig slag....... erens kom julle mos op Dieulefit ook kamp, reg?! Klerk en ek het reeds rondgestap om te kyk waar julle jul karavaan kan plaas - BAIE beter as KOA! Anyone else for camping on Dieulefit?!

Hendie,

I have moved the normal Niblick Meeting back to the Second Thursday of August and will notify everyone as to why and hope we get a good turnout to welcome you.

Wonderful Charles, we're still camping at Niagara that Thursday, and I will most definitely join you that evening!

Looking forward to meeting the Eastern SACanadians!

Ek sal vanaand die finale roete plaas vir almal om te sien, maar hier is ons oorstaanplekke vir dié wat belangstel:

• 02/08 - Brandon, MB
  • 03-04/08 - Thunderbay, ON
  • 05/08 - Sault Ste. Marie, ON
  • 06/08 - South Bay, ON
  • 07-13/08 - Niagara, ON
  • 14-16/08 - Barrie, ON
  • 17-19/08 - 1000 Islands, Kingston, ON
  • 20-22/08 - Ottawa, ON
  • 23/08 - Ithaca, NY
  • 24-26/08 - Port Huron, MI
  • 27/08 - Mackinaw City, MI
  • 28/08 - Oakdale, MI
  • 29/08 - Souix Falls, SD
  • 30/08 - 01/09 - Mount Rushmore, SD
  • 02/09 - Billings, MT
  • 03/09 - Great Falls, MT
  • 04/09 - Home in Calgary!

So, ANYONE along that route who would like to meet the Dijkmans, just shout, and we will try (TRY!) to include a visit.

:D Hendie

Hendie,

If you find yourselves in the York Region area, please be sure to call me and pop in for a cuppa and a swim. I will also take you to the SA store near my home for a few nostalgic purchases from the old country!

Have you considered visiting the St Jacob's area? It really is worthwhile, especially to see the Mennonite way of life and the market, which has an amazing variety and even cattle auctions. We stayed at an inn in Elora when we went up there, and it was a fabulous weekend.

When you are in Niagara- on - the Lake, try and take in a play at the Shaw Festival - definitely worthwhile if you are theatrical types, and the kids will enjoy Fort George very much. We took ours there in their mid teens, and they still talk about the visit.

The Inn in Elora (on the river) has a Rhodesian lady working at reception, forgot her name now, but I do visit the Inn regularly for a meal and overlooking the river when I visit my folks, who live in that area! Elora, Fergus, Elmira and St Jacobs are all places worth visiting and not to forget about Stratford! Too much to see and the Dijkmans will have to return...... .

Hope you have a good trip, Hendie and family! Been to most of those places, and loved it, especially Niagara Falls, Barrie, and Montana (Great Falls is a nice little city - we drove through there and stayed overnight in 1999). We've always wanted to go back and visit Yellowstone Park, and will do so one day. Our only trip this summer is to Seattle, otherwise will be exploring the island. :ilikeit:

Thanks for all the well wishes, my voete jeuk nou al behoorlik vir dié trip. Ons sien VREESLIK uit daarna.

Kaart is ook nou bygewerk met die finale roete.

:ilikeit: Hendie

• 3 weeks later...

Skryf gou hier uit Barrie se KOA kamp se winkeltjie. Net om te laat weet ons reis vreeslik lekker en ons ryg die besienswaardighede in. Lekker saam met Charles en kie gekuier by die Niblick, aandete gehad by Klerk en Engela, vir Jan en Chanie ontmoet (nie forummense nie ... nognie!) en by Chanie ook gaan tee drink op pad deur Owen Sound.

Hiervandaan nog Kingston, Ottawa, en dan suid deur die states!

Tot later!

B) Hendie

Vir die wat ons iewers langs pad dalk nog wil ontmoet, my selnommer is (403) 561-2208 en email (kry darem met my Treo, hendie[at]sacanada.org).

Enjoy the rest of your trip Hendie and family. We love camping at the KOA campsites. B)

Hallo Hendie

Toe julle op 2 Augustus by Brandon oorgebly het, was ek nog nie bewus van julle toer nie. En so mis ons toe uit op julle. Maar nou ja, geniet die res van die toer. Dit lyk werklik na 'n baie besonderse roete wat julle volg. Ry veilig en "hou net aan die regterkant van die pad."