PE Coffee Club

Warren

OK I see the EC is not the best region for coffee clubs IC - but hey let's give it a bash - even virtually; My partner and I are awaiting our docs from Home Affairs and Police Clearance and then it's all systems go for our submission - anyone else in this process, or been there or considering - let's chat an support each other. Post your thoughts here :)

OK FORGIVE THE SPELLING MISTAKE - HOPEFULLY IT CATCHES YOUR EYE!

Edited by Warren

Hello Warren,

Drop me a PM and we can arrange to meet. I have tried before to get a coffee club set-up for Port Elizabeth but there was no interest shown. If there is enough time on my business trip to Johannesburg, I may be joining the Gauteng coffee club for their meeting on 16th June. I know Cathy from the Gauteng Coffee club visits Port Elizabeth occasionally; we can maybe arrange a get together when next she visits.

Kind Regards,

Hi guys

Don't wait for me I've used up all my trips to PE for the year and hopefully by the time Christmas rolls around I'll be in Calgary (wishful thinking).

The Coffee Club meeting in Gauteng is on the 17th June and hopefully we'll see you there Lawrence.

Our Coffee Club started off with just 3 families. Word spread and the last meeting we had about 12 families. You yourselves will get some satisfaction from just meeting somebody else in the same boat that understands what you are going through.

Last week Charlvs, his lady and I had a lovely evening at a Mugg and Bean in Cape Town. I left with renewed enthusiasm for the wait ahead.

Hello Cathy,

Got my dates mixed up; there is an 80% chance that I will attend the Gauteng Coffee Club meeting on 17th June 2006. I will PM you once my arrangements have been finalised so you can give me detailed directions on how to get to the Irene venue from Johannesburg International Airport.

Regards

Edited by Lawrence

Guest CharlvS
Hi guys

Don't wait for me I've used up all my trips to PE for the year and hopefully by the time Christmas rolls around I'll be in Calgary (wishful thinking).

The Coffee Club meeting in Gauteng is on the 17th June and hopefully we'll see you there Lawrence.

Our Coffee Club started off with just 3 families. Word spread and the last meeting we had about 12 families. You yourselves will get some satisfaction from just meeting somebody else in the same boat that understands what you are going through.

Last week Charlvs, his lady and I had a lovely evening at a Mugg and Bean in Cape Town. I left with renewed enthusiasm for the wait ahead.

I concur Cathy! Thanks so much for showing us your wonderful LSD pictures... it just confirmed for both of us that Calgary is the place where we have to go and settle.

It was so nice meeting you and we look forward to drinking coffee with you guys in Calgary some day.

Cheers!

Charl

• 1 month later...

We arranged to have coffee with the Lemmer family on Friday, 21 July, a sort of informal Port Elizabeth coffee club meeting. The wife and I thoroughly enjoyed meeting and sharing our immigration process thus far with the Lemmers. Meeting and sharing does make the long wait a little more bearable and future meetings are definitely on the agenda, so if you are from Port Elizabeth, drop us a PM.

:angry: Regards,

Glad to see you've got together. Personally I find getting together with someone who knows what you are going through is really useful. You leave feeling that you are not the only ones frustrated and ready to throw rocks at CHC Pretoria.

Next time maybe you can get Warren along as well.

You are right Cathy. Chatting to others in the same boat really does help and sharing thoughts and plans and ideas are all good. Especially as you get to the long final stages of so near yet still so far. Wish CIC would update the website so we would know if they have got to 2004 applications.

Lemmer

Edited by Lemmer

• 2 weeks later...

The key in getting a club going is to arrange REGULAR meetings, even if you are only two families. Our restart earlier this year had only 4 or five families (about 10 people) - by July we had more than 40 people.

Best is to set a schedule so that people can plan around it. A lot of people like consistency. Also people might not consider joining immediately, however when they see that meetings is held regularly, then they will drop in. That is the time when you start to reach exponential growth until you hit the "natural" size.

Arrange something interesting everytime, no matter how little that "interesting" might be. Last time Cathy surprised us all with a present to all the males in the form of a Canadian keyholder. Next time we will have a presentation by Kobus from his recent trip to Canada. It's also good to have a person to take the "lead" and a backup should the "lead" not be there. The lead should not overshadow the event, but rather be a facilitator to encourage all to participate.

A short agenda is also appropriate, leaving space for open discussion afterwards (often without a formal closure)

Hopefully one day the owners of this site will place a 1/2 page advert in the EP herald and /or Sunday times paper and on the latter newspaper web address ( or in all major newspaper) about this site and it wealth of information on immigration - seen that the exchange rate would be next to nothing for the owners coupled with there sponsors it would be minimum business expence and have small tax advantage.

OR

perhaps ur coffee members can take up a collection for this purpose

Alternatively perhaps all the us members can start a trust fund for this very purpose and other purposes such as charities in SA seen that we all seem so hopeless on this side but with exchange rate to our advantage.

If u need a small donation pm me

The owners of this site is not there to make a profit from it. I bet the little bit of ads on the site barely covers the cost of running the site, let alone the actual labour time to maintain it.

Thus the funds will have to come from somewhere else. IMHO, the purpose and use of the funds will have to be well specified as well.

Smith007,

Johan is right. We don't charge a large sum of money for the adverts. It is just to cover the hosting and server fees. No member takes a wage from it.

Also most the people attending DON'T want it advertised that they can attend a meeting as you may get some 'snoopers' who have ulterior motives for attending.

As and example I have hosted a fair amount of functions here as an Event's hostess using SACanada to bring out the folks to functions. I rely solely on my own funds and sponsorships of SA owned businesses.

I find companies like Nando's who many South African's know and approach them to support SA functions. Now Nando's might support a SA coffee club for those going to Canada if you explained the benefits of the function to them. But they also don't want to be seen as supporting people who are taking their money with them.

If the individual Coffee club members wish to make a donation to take an advert out in the newspapers for the next meeting it would be up to them to maintain the integrity of that situation. But I have a feeling it may reduce your attendance.

We are doing it by word of mouth and the SACANADA site. There is a number of people that would like to stay anonymous for various reasons. Hence, we do not breach their acronyms on this site, nor do we anounce such elsewhere. In other words, we have to owe up in protecting those that visit the clubs to the extend that they need it for their personal reasons. Remeber, people can loose their jobs when their companies knows that they are planning to leave the country.

Back in 1998/9 we attended a few of those 'come pay 50 bucks and we'll give you a free evaluation' get togethers. One at the Marine hotel and the other at the PE Club.

From there four or five people got together to compare notes and soon via word of mouth there was an informal social at Homeleigh Farms ( just off Kragga Kamma ). That was attended by 9 families.

Three months later there was another meeting on a Saturday at Apron Strings (off Schoenies Road) and the number of attendees had risen to 14 families.

This was all done by word of mouth and e-mail. No-one 'ran' the meetings, it was more of a social gathering with plenty of info being shared.

I'm saying this in jest now so don't ya'll get ya knickers in a knot, but I think the originators of SACanada had absolutely no idea what they where on to when they created this site. Purely from a coffee club point of view the meetings are almost not needed anymore because of the scope and the functions (e-mail, PM, forums) that this site offers.

In the same breath I'd say that it is nice to get together (face to face) with others in the same situation as you though.

To the Lemmer family,Warren and to Lawrence I'd say get together one Saturday afternoon, say at a coffee shop or a tea garden. Advertise the fact here on this site that you are doing so (throw an e-mail address around), because there are plenty of 'lurkers' that have not registered as members that will see your get together. If they don't join you for the get together I'm almost sure you will get a few e-mails and you (or someone ) can take it from there.

I have a number of family members that have come to visit us here in Canada over the last few years. Although none of them are intending to ever immigrate and only came over as tourists, I'm sure they wouldn't mind answering a question or two if anyone has basic questions, or if someone just wants to have a quick chat. They are all in the Sunridge area.

*Had to edit this post, Johankok and I posted at the same time.*

I was going to mention the fact that a lot of people want to and in some cases are forced to remain anon.

Trust will have to be built up between the people meeting and respect for those with anonimity issues.

Edited by shaun

How are you PE folks doing after all the recent flooding and storm damage to your area?

It seems like PE was hit extremely hard...

How are you PE folks doing after all the recent flooding and storm damage to your area?

It seems like PE was hit extremely hard...

There are still places under water and some house just down the road from us are still under water. (Boundry Lane in Mount Pleasant for those who know PE).

Yesterday they had a pump trying to pump the water away but judging by the "Dam" they will be busy for some days to come. The municipality is busy all over town reconstructing roads that have been washed away.

When Lawrence gets back form his trip to Canada we will plan another coffee shop meeting so any one esle in PE must just contact one of us. (Warren, Lawrence or Lemmer). I have since contacted Laminda who applied the same time as we did so we have someone else to chat to who is at the same stage as us. Only thing we don't live anywhere close to one another but email will do!!.

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone,

We had our second informal PE coffee club meeting arranged by the Lemmer’s. There were in total 6 of us and we welcome our newcomers, Warren and partner. For our next meeting we are hoping for one or two more new members to join us.

Come on Port Elizabeth, there are many forum members from Port Elizabeth already in Canada, there must be a few more closet forum prowlers, come join us at our next meeting. We had lots to discuss and enjoyed plenty of laughs. I for one feel a lot better today after our PE Coffee Club night out.

Maybe one day :huh: , when we have as many members as the Gauteng Coffee Club, we can invite johankak to visit us and share his expertise in arranging meetings etc.

:unsure: Regards,

Hello Everyone,

We had our second informal PE coffee club meeting arranged by the Lemmer’s. There were in total 6 of us and we welcome our newcomers, Warren and partner. For our next meeting we are hoping for one or two more new members to join us.

Come on Port Elizabeth, there are many forum members from Port Elizabeth already in Canada, there must be a few more closet forum prowlers, come join us at our next meeting. We had lots to discuss and enjoyed plenty of laughs. I for one feel a lot better today after our PE Coffee Club night out.

Maybe one day :) , when we have as many members as the Gauteng Coffee Club, we can invite johankak to visit us and share his expertise in arranging meetings etc.

:) Regards,

Johan apologies for the typo, :) (meant to be KOK and not K*K), eish, I am in the process of teaching myself to touch type and tend to at times get my fingers in knots. I must admit this touch typing thing is like learning to dance. We have had many :D laughs at my attempt to touch type and the new spelling of some of the words in documents I have typed.

Fortunately no documents for clients have slipped through with typing errors, this is a first.

:holy: Regards,

Johan apologies for the typo, :holy: (meant to be KOK and not K*K), eish, I am in the process of teaching myself to touch type and tend to at times get my fingers in knots. I must admit this touch typing thing is like learning to dance. We have had many :) laughs at my attempt to touch type and the new spelling of some of the words in documents I have typed.

Fortunately no documents for clients have slipped through with typing errors, this is a first.

:) Regards,

Goed om te hoor dit was net n tikfout, ek dog amper jy soek kok met die man.

OomDee

Goed om te hoor dit was net n tikfout, ek dog amper jy soek kok met die man.

OomDee

Ja nee wat Oom Dee, dat n' mens nou op my ouderdom moet leer om te touch type. Ek moet se, bo en behalwe n' "kok" spel fout so elke nou en dan, kom ek mooi reg. Ek glo nie ou JohanKok sal te upset wees met die fout wat ek gemaak het nie, mens moet so af en toe vir jou foute :holy: lag.

:) Groete,

Edited by Lawrence

Janee dit lyken my alteveel dat al lankal hier moes begin inloer het.... Lawrence, jy kom ons mos besoek??? Daar kan net dalkies so 'n verassing of twee in die rontes wees, wie weet. Ek is nou nie so seker wat ek aangevang het om dit te verdien nie --- 'n O en 'n A is darem maar alte ver van mekaar af op die sleutelbord. Die verskoning van leer tik klink dus 'n kleine bietjie te dik vir 'n daalder..... :P