Stores of Note - where to buy things in Canada

BevBrad

There are many seductions here in North America. Many temptations that seduce us into parting with our hard earned money, and yesterday I found the ultimate store that is sure to break me financially :cry:

It is a mans store, it is for those that enjoy tools and spending time tinkering in the workshop. Temptation thy name is Lee Valley. My advice to the man in the house, visit this store and drool, grab a catalogue and drool. Visit their website and sigh.

To my two friends in Halifax who encouraged me to visit this store, may the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits!!

www.leevalley.com

Enjoy, remember, this place is not recommended for unaccompanied males and the faint hearted.

Brad

Lets start a thread for all newcomers detailing where to by what products at which stores. I know in the beginning a lot of time was wasted looking for things.

Canadian Tire

Another store that all males should get to know upon arriving in Canada, general tools, car spares, electrical and sports goods. etc sort of a super hardware store

Also, whatever you do, stay away from Michaels! It's the ultimate store for hobbyists. They supply everything for every craft under the sun, and there's always an expert on hand to give advice. Sometimes classes are conducted over the weekends and many skills are taught to the uninitiated.

If you have some extra cash, venture in these stores at your peril. If not, avoid them at all costs!

Cathy K.

Chapters! Books, books and more books.....and to add to it all, the tempting smell of Starbucks coffee all over the place.... :cry:

My favourite stores are Costco, Sears, and Chapters. For clothing, books, bulk shopping, they have it all. I also like buying gifts at Amazon.com or .ca - everything was mailed to my family in Florida, and got there in time for Christmas. My favourite bakery is Prairie Mills in Calgary - there is one in the NW. The best bread I've had since coming to NAmerica. :) Otherwise,k I don't generally enjoy the shopping experience. :cry:

Chapters! Books, books and more books.....and to add to it all, the tempting smell of Starbucks coffee all over the place.... :cry:
As much as I would stay loyal to Canadian stores (and who knows who owns whom these days!) you should always also check amazon.ca as well - they are often cheaper than Chapters, and with a wider variety of goodies too.

Hendie,

don't look now, but I think the ladies like to browse trough the books, see.....and then have some latté! :cry: (wait for the blows, Harry!)

You probably have a point there Harry - I guess we men shop differentl: Decide on what book you need, find the best price, and buy the sucker! And stay out of the store if at all possible! :cry:

Speak for yourself, Hendie! The two Kotzé men can't stay away from Chapters in Canada and Barnes & Noble in the United States. There's nowhere better to be when the snow is thick on the ground, or it has rained continuously for .....how much Harry? Twenty days!!

They prefer the magazine shelves, though, and never miss out on that latté.

We all browse in the bookshops, but I'm afraid amazon.com usually wins when it comes to purchasing the slightly more expensive stuff.

Cathy K.

For tools etc. Canadian Tire is hard to beat for price and selection. A lot of their tools are also guaranteed for life! (don't know whose life though :cry: )

For electronics stuff, there are loads of liquidation stores in the Toronto area, try www.factorydirect.ca for example, they have some amazing deals on things quite often.

Of course we can't forget about the "mainstream" electronics stores, Futureshop and Bestbuy, a guy can go broke in there :)

There is also a chain of stores, don't know offhand if they are only in Ontario excess cargo (or something like that). There is a store on Dundas, just west of Dixie in Mississauaga, they also have loads of electronics and other household items too. You can save yourself a fortune shopping at this kind of store.

Then there is also the chain called "Liquidation World", I think they are nationwide, but it is another place you can get some great deals on brandnew stuff.

For home reno's/improvement etc, home depot is the place to go (it is an American chain, but their selection and prices are excellent.

Guest User Name

BevBrad - yes Lee Valley - originally from Ottawa is a hard store to walk out of without accumulating all sorts of

interesting stuff -especially great for gardening. Bird-feeding and handy-man. They have a great catalogue, which contains droolable items.

My understanding of the history is that the orginal owner got fed up with not finding tools for the job and started making them.

The store treats their staff real well on top of all the wonderful merchandise.

I am afraid that Canadian Tire is not even close when it comes to "neat" stuff. And I am a big fan of Canadian Tire.

Dougie

If you start looking for affordable furniture shortly after your arrival (because you have decided to leave all your old stuff behind in SA), the odds are very high that you will end up in Ikea. I always find it interesting to visit an Ikea store, although from what I have heard from others, it would appear as if most men don't.

Hendie,

don't look now, but I think the ladies like to browse trough the books, see.....and then have some latté! (wait for the blows, Harry!)

10 out of 10 Harry, at least you are in touch with your feminine side! :cry: It's all about the browsing & the latte's, of course!