South Africans getting together

Guest Laura

I would love to come and wach the game at Champs this saturday morning.

But unfortunately I have french class from 9 till 12 on saturdays.

Enjoy the match those of you who are going to see it.

Marcelo

• 1 month later...

Hi Montreal

My family and I will be relocating to Montreal in April, courtesy of an expatriate transfer to my wifes company Head Office for 3 years. A big change in store as our last expatriate stint was in Maputo, Mozambique for 4 years. Sun, sea, palm trees, ski-boat fishing, snorkling and never colder then 19 deg C in mid winter.

We have had 2 short trips to Montreal in the last 4 weeks and would like to make contact with other Seffricans in Montreal and would appreciate some more info on areas to live and English private junior schools there. The company seems to be interested in showing us areas where they think we should live like Beaconsfield and Pointe-Claire, but what about off island areas and are there any off island english junior private schools - I haven't found any on the net. The better schools all seem to be in the Westmount area, does anyone have any experience with the private schools there, the one we saw on the west island side did not really make the grade.

A question for the educators on the forum. Our eldest is starting GR2 in RSA now but I assume because of the difference in the start of the school year and also because she is a year younger than the starting age for Gr2 in Canada they will put her back to GR 1 and not let her start and catch up to the rest of the GR 2's?

Thanks and looking forward to learning to ski next winter! Hot and humid in PE today, took the kids swimming at Sardinia Bay. One last thing - any RSA PPL pilots or EAA'ers in Canada on this forum?

Dave

HI There

Welcome to SACANADA!

I use to live in Montreal but have moved to Calgary so from my experience a few pointers.

LEARN FRENCH, Learn French, Learn French!

IF you plan to become Permanent Residents in Quebec, the province will send you to for French lessons free of charge although they are radically behind so you may have to wait a few months. In the meantime there is only 5% of the population in Montreal who speak English, these people mostly live on the West Island and some in Westmount on the island. Downtown you wont have a problem getting service in English but off the island I wont count on it. There also is a lovely shopping mall in West Island where service is first in English then French.

The Montreal transport system is wonderful so if you have to work downtown you can get there from anywhere, some journeys will take longer than others ie. South Shore is a quick trip but completely French with small pockets of English communities like Greenfield Park, which is a very nice area.

In your case schooling will probaly dictacte the are you live in, I didnt have that challenge to face so goodluck with that. You can visit this website it will offer advise on different issues www.immigration-quebec.gc.ca.

As for Montreal, as you probaly already know, it is one of the most beautiful cities

in Canada if not the best. April can still be a bit cold and you may even have snow. The summer will delight you with all the festival offerings like Festival of Jazz, Comedy Festival and the Grand Prix something to look forward to. ;)

If you are bringing furniture be sure that if you bring your bed from SA you bring the bedding because- lesson learnt queen in SA and queen in Canada is not the same size.

Hope I have been able to answer some of your concerns. You can feel free to contact me on my personal email address as well.

Good Luck, exciting times ahead! :D

• 2 months later...

I have kids that go to school in Westmount. This is a great area as both the Private and public schools are very good.

Don't hesitate to give me a call at 514-963-5860

Yours Sincerely

Andy Myron

andymyron[at]pcmall.com

• 3 months later...

Hi there I am English speaking South African living and working in Montreal. Would like to catch up with any other SA in the area, maybe a meeting in a bar there is a great micro brewery near were I live Dieu Du Ciel (God of sky) its on cnr Clark and Laurier. Call if you are interested to make a time (514)777-4993

I see that this sight is a bit old but I am hoping to get It up and running. If there is any one out there in Montreal and are interested in getting together leave a note.

• 3 weeks later...

[hi ryan...yep I AM DEFINATELY interested in getting us saffies together out here in montreal. Laat weet as daar iets gebeur asb....my tel by die huis is. 450 674 2127. Tot later...baai.

Hallo almal... meeste van julle ken my al...maar net van een of 2 briefies hier....ek wil graag in aanraking kom met Suid Afrikaners hier in Montreal...RYAN waar is jy? stel jy belang om my te ontmoet? lyk nie of jy terugkom na my toe nie... EN vir enige ander Suid afrikaners hier in Montreal...Laat hoor asb van julle.....my selnommer is 514 962 8843 en my huis nommer is 450 674 2127...ek heg in foto aan sodat julle kan sien ek is nie n PEDOFIEL OF REEKSMOORDENAAR nie...(JOKE), net n Saffie hier wat REGTIG met my eie mensie bietjie wil kommunikeer.... so nou ja....NOU VOEL ek beter....lol.... Bietjie meer oor myself....ek rook nie...ek drink nou en dan n bier...ek hou van Rugby en ek gaan nou en dan uit na n pub, maar ek geniet dit baie meer om by die huis n lekker vuurtjie te maak en te BRAAI...ek hou van visvang... en het n klein chi wa wa hondjie(verkeerde spelling ek weet lol) ek maak nou en dan my eie biltong hier in montreal...en dit gaan lekker af met n koue bier as ek rugby kyk...ek woon in Longueuil op die suide kant van montreal (Rive Sud) en is absoluut omring deur die Franse hierdie kant..so help bietjie uit en maak nou kontak met my...lol...dan kan ons in Afrikaans van hulle skinder en daardie dom uitdrukkings op hul gesig lekker uitlag as HULLE vir n verandering niks verstaan nie....ek sien uit daarna om van julle te hoor...Groete

Ruan

Hi Ruan

Unfortunately I dont live in Montreal.. In fact, I'm on the other side of the country in Vancouver. I just wanted to say that I know the feeling you talk about in being surrounded by French people. I sometimes feel like that as I live in a neighbourhood that is probably about 90 % chinese and they often dont speak English.

It is for this reason that i've always been hesitant to move to a country where I dont speak the language. I think one feels really disconnected when you can't read the signs on shops, newspapers, listen to random conversations or understand what the group of kids in the street is laughing about.

Purely out of curiosity, why did you decide to go to Montreal? Do you speak French? I know it is none of my business... I'm just curious.

Marli

[hi marli...jip jy slaan die spyker op die kop...maar wat nog meer frustrerend is as dit alles..is die feit dat daar wel suid afrikaners hier in montreal is en van hulle is ook aktief hier op sacanada en self nadat ek my nommer al herhaaldelik geplaas het om met hulle kontak te maak het GEEN persoon my nog geantwoord nie..so ek weet nie of hulle regtig wil in aanraking kom met ander suid afrikaners nie, maar as hulle die dag besluit om dit te doen...dan weet hulle waar om my te vind...Dit is ook grotendeels my HOOF rede waarom ek na vancouver island toe trek voor die einde van die jaar..ek het hier gelees dat daar n groot suid afrikaanse gemeenskap in Nanaimo is en dat hulle by mekaar uitkom en "get togethers" hou. Ek het hiernatoe gekom omdat ek n frans kanadase meisie gehad het vir meer as 4 jaar..(ek het onlangs met haar opgebreek) ons het in London, Engeland, ontmoet en het daar gewoon vir 2 jaar...daarna het ons in Suid Afrika gaan woon vir 1 en n halwe jaar..toe kom ek hiernatoe en 1 jaar en 6 maande later en toe breek ek die verhouding...Grotendeels agv Franse en Afrikaanse "Barriers' as jy dit so wil noem...hehe.. Ek WEET ek sal maar uiteindelik n AFRIKAANSE vrou kry...dit is wat ek wil he en weet ek sal dan werklik gelukkig wees...so nou "spend" ek maar my laaste somer hier in Montreal en dan gaan ek Nanaimo toe! groete

ruan

• 2 months later...

Did the once a month get together every get going, just found this sight? I am a Saffie with Cape Town and Zimbabwean roots, been living here for 2 years now with my partner who is also from the motherland, I have yet to meet a South African Montrealer??

Can be e-mailed at nicfenner[at]sympatico.ca if there is a get together on the go, always up to watch some rugby or have a beer.

• 5 months later...

Nic where are you are you back yet?

If so give us a call

tel(514)2781693

fax(514)7774995

• 2 years later...

It is good to hear that there are so many of us living here in Quebec! We have not met another South African in Canada as yet, not like England there are thousands of us! Me and the family have be living here in Quebec for about a year and five months now. We moved from rainy London England and have started up a catering company here in quebec, we are based in the lovely ski resort of Mont Tremblant! Visit our website at www.southafricanconnexion.ca or email Natalchef@gmail.com for details. We cater in Ottawa, Mont Tremblant, Montreal and the surrounding area.

many thanks

Ashley

Hallo almal... meeste van julle ken my al...maar net van een of 2 briefies hier....ek wil graag in aanraking kom met Suid Afrikaners hier in Montreal...RYAN waar is jy? stel jy belang om my te ontmoet? lyk nie of jy terugkom na my toe nie... EN vir enige ander Suid afrikaners hier in Montreal...Laat hoor asb van julle.....my selnommer is 514 962 8843 en my huis nommer is 450 674 2127...ek heg in foto aan sodat julle kan sien ek is nie n PEDOFIEL OF REEKSMOORDENAAR nie...(JOKE), net n Saffie hier wat REGTIG met my eie mensie bietjie wil kommunikeer.... so nou ja....NOU VOEL ek beter....lol.... Bietjie meer oor myself....ek rook nie...ek drink nou en dan n bier...ek hou van Rugby en ek gaan nou en dan uit na n pub, maar ek geniet dit baie meer om by die huis n lekker vuurtjie te maak en te BRAAI...ek hou van visvang... en het n klein chi wa wa hondjie(verkeerde spelling ek weet lol) ek maak nou en dan my eie biltong hier in montreal...en dit gaan lekker af met n koue bier as ek rugby kyk...ek woon in Longueuil op die suide kant van montreal (Rive Sud) en is absoluut omring deur die Franse hierdie kant..so help bietjie uit en maak nou kontak met my...lol...dan kan ons in Afrikaans van hulle skinder en daardie dom uitdrukkings op hul gesig lekker uitlag as HULLE vir n verandering niks verstaan nie....ek sien uit daarna om van julle te hoor...Groete

Ruan

Ruan - ek stuur vir jou 'n private boodskap! Jy klink darem net te oulik en sal jou graag besoek wanneer ons weer in Montreal is om ons dogter te sien (student by McGill Universiteit).

• 1 year later...
Hello again everyone

It would be great to meet you all

also if anyone needs help or can help with French let me know

Paul

514-598-8630

Hi Paul,

I am a French-Canadian guy living on the South Shore (Saint-Hyacinthe Area). I saw your message and thought I would offer to help.

I speak both English and French. If interested, you can send me an email at rpboisseau@hotmail.com or reach me on my cell at

450-513-3713. If I don't answer, just leave a message on my mail box.

• 10 months later...

Hi All, we are new in Montreal from SA. Been here just over a month in Montreal. Would love to meet up with fellow South Africans if anyone is keen in getting together. We are on the south shore but work in Montreal so we can meet downtown too.

Look forward to some replies!

• 5 months later...

Hi All, we are new in Montreal from SA. Been here just over a month in Montreal. Would love to meet up with fellow South Africans if anyone is keen in getting together. We are on the south shore but work in Montreal so we can meet downtown too.

Look forward to some replies!

Hi,

I am a SAffer in Montreal area (Laval). Would be great meeting up with other SAffers here.

Post is relatively old....so here is a long shot !

Hope to hear from some.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am a SAffer in Montreal area (Laval). Would be great meeting up with other SAffers here.

Post is relatively old....so here is a long shot !

Hope to hear from some.

Cheers

HI, My name is Andy, I am from POrt Elizabeth. Been in Montreal for 16 Years.

Give me a call 514-865-5474

Andy

• 2 months later...

hi greenleader and andy - sorry only caught up on these replies now. would love to meet up!

i guess downtown would be a good central location since my husband and i are in the south shore :)

Let us know for soemtime in the next week or in march?

hi greenleader and andy - sorry only caught up on these replies now. would love to meet up!

i guess downtown would be a good central location since my husband and i are in the south shore :)

Let us know for soemtime in the next week or in march?

Hi,

There is now a facebook page of "South Africans in Montreal".

Take a peak there to meet more and they are doing get togethers.

Besides that....yeah ...I would like to meet up sometime. Downtown would be great.

Let me know what suits you guys.

here is my number 514-946-0904

Cheers

Ric