Sign in to follow this  
Guest joe

Canadian French

Guest joe

Can someone please answer this question and settle a disagreement.

Is Canadian French very different to the french spoken in France and would somebody from Quebec sound to a Frenchman the same as a english speaking North American sounds to somebody in the U.K.

Hope this makes sense.

thanks

thelategans

AND I would like to know why bilingualism is not compulsory in Qubec, but it is in the rest of Canada.?

Stuart

Karen

Canadian French is grammatically the same as French French, and yes, French people would totally understand a CF, but would find his/her accent amusing! CF is like kitchen french and there are different idioms and expressions, which once again, the real French would probably not know, but it is still French, as much as SA English is quite understandable to English speaking Canadians.

Karen

Why would bilingualism in Quebec be an issue - they are a separate country, remember?!!!

Guest Guest

I am South African living in Montreal. I speak French now. The French that we speak here is the same as in France except for the fact that there is a different accent.

It is the same as South African English. There are many Afrikaans words that we use.

It is funny that you say that bilingualism is an issue. This is the only province where most people (in Montreal) can speak or understand both languages.

However, I believe that it is shocking that such a low percentage of Canadian are fluent in both official languages. I think that most South Africans can speak Afrikaans and English.

I was in France on rugby tour a few years ago. Everybody understood me when I spoke French!

Andy

thelategans

Guest why I asked is for two reasons

1. As a visitor it is very difficult to get around when most of the street signs etc are only in french

2. One of the elections issues with block quebec is that the conservatives want to do away with bilingualism in various depts, yet they do not practise what they preach.

Stuart

Guest joe

Just as a bit of interest on my part, are there many English only speakers in Quebec?

I go to France a couple times a year as I love it there ( I live in the UK) but my Frence has never gone much beyond very basic. I do know that if you make the effort, the French do respond in a positive way.

I am too old now but I wish I would have tried to move to Quebec years ago.

To me it seems you have the best of both worlds, the traditions & culture of europe, with the progresive & modern ways of Canada.

I am truely jealous.

Thanks for info.

Guest Guest_Andy

Joe.

Yes there are English speaking people in Quebec.

You are right. THis is a wonderfull part of the world to live in. We have all that Canada has to offer and we European culture that the rest of our continent misses.

Where in the uk are you?

Andy

Guest Guest

Thelategans.

The Bloc Quebecquoise oppinion is an opinion! I don't agree with it, nor do I like the conservatives!

If you go to Paris, the signs are in French. If you go to Amsterdam the Signs are in Dutch. Toronto English.

All the French Canadians are trying to do is protect there culture. This is North America. If they didn't do this they would loose there culture.

Look at Afrikaans in South Africa now. More people speak English. Less Afrikaans. Before we know it. It will be a lost culture.

Andy

thelategans

Andy, I hear what you are saying about culture and I have no issue with that. But why then must bilingualism and the implementation thereof only be legislated in the rest of Canada (if that is the case - I am not sure of my facts as the politicians are making all kinds of propoganda right now). Cultural segragation is very natural and normal all around the world, but the moment you legislate to protect it you get "apartheid" as we all know.

Stuart

Guest joe

Andy

I live in Southend Essex but I was born in London's east end which means I have a cockney accent, so never mind speaking French I have enough trouble with English.

I've always been interested in Canada, as a youngster I lived in Chicargo and my mother had many Canadian friends, who used to tell me all about it, also at school I remember a keen interest in the great lakes which continues to this day. I did a job for a Canadian woman recently, who told me I was the first English person she had met who could name all 5 of them.

Many years ago I applied and was accepted for a job in London, Ontario but my wife's mother was suffering from a terminal illness, so we let the job go, I still regret the decision to this day.

Reading some of the other posts I seem to have opened a can of worms, sorry

Guest jayd

HI everyone,

My name is Martine and I am french canadian myself. i just brought my SA boyfriend here about a month ago. He has got a hard time liking montreal because of is lack of french abilities. He won't let me teach him french because he's shy and think I just wanna take the B) out of him. I know it's hard for you guys to insert in a new society, nevermind a whole new language. I can't help my boyfriend but maybe I can help some of you. I am not a french teacher, and never done it but I can offer my services for conversation, some basic grammer and vocabulary. Anyone interrested ??? You can email me at martyne280@yahoo.ca to talk more or to take arrangements.

Good luck with you french,

Hope you will enjoy quebec fully!!!

Regards.

Ricky

I live about 60 kilometers east of Québec City and where I am everybody is french, but there are a few that speaks English as well. I find in Québec City and Montmagny where I am, that if I speak french to them, they hear my accent and start to speak in English. I tell them that I must practice my french and they want to practice their English. The people here are very friendly and want to speak English and don't get to much chance.

I lived in Guinea, West Africa, for 9 years and it is a french country. There I met people from all over the world. From everywhere the french is very different, like the African french is very clear and they speak slowly so you can understand it, but the people from France speak very fast and it is difficult, same for the Belguim french, that is much different as well. I am so used to listening to all the different french that I can tell where people came from.

BevBrad

A few days ago while in Spain I asked a French colleague the question " is Canadian French any different from "French" " This interested me as my son is being taught in French at school (French immersion class). His answer, "we can understand the words but not the sentence". Huh, explain I say. So as an example he cites the words for car, translated into English. In France it would be vehicle and in Candian French its Charriot. So there you have it. As I do not speak French I cannot comment on the accuracy of the above. I simply report what was said :angry: Personally I think its a little bit of one upmanship.

andymyron
A few days ago while in Spain I asked a French colleague the question " is Canadian French any different from "French" " This interested me as my son is being taught in French at school (French immersion class). His answer, "we can understand the words but not the sentence". Huh, explain I say. So as an example he cites the words for car, translated into English.  In France it would be vehicle and in Candian French its Charriot. So there you have it. As I do not speak French I cannot comment on the accuracy of the above. I simply report what was said  :angry: Personally I think its a little bit of one upmanship.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I speak French that I learnt in Quebec. ( I am South African) I had no problem being understood when I was in France on holiday. The only difference is the accent. like American English and British English.

Andy