Sign in to follow this  
Estelle

Living in Montréal

Estelle

We arrived in the lovely city of Montreal 26 days ago. :rolleyes:

I approach each day in this French land vol moed as I like to believe that soon I will be learning the language and then we can all parle vous. We are staying in the south shore and it is kind off suppose to be tweetalig hence the choice to live here, but surprise.....they speak English only under complete duress.

I have rec'd my selection certificate as part of the PR process and feel very proud to have been approved by the Quebec goverment as a permanent resident. However as PR I am entitled to french lessons at the CLSC , I phoned them today to get information regarding this and low and behold, the entire voice message is in French- how ironic..

I was just wondering how these people would go down in SA with 11 official languages

Just a thought, with a little bit of sun shine will arrive a better attitiude as well, had rain now for almost all 26 days, :(

Daléne

Estelle,

Welcome to Canada......where all we do is complain about the weather :(:D:lol::D:D

In not time you'll be experiencing the harsh heat and humidity of summer, so enjoy the rain, it's making the grass green and the flowers grow.

Once you master the French language, you can teach me :rolleyes:

I must say with all the complaining people do about the weather here, there is one thing that is fantastic about it.....we get to truly experience the 4 seasons, which is absolutely wonderful. B)

Guest Guest_Willie

Estelle hier in Alberta is jou kans om Ukrainian, Duits, Mandarin, Vietnamese of selfs Afrikaans as spreektaal te hoor beter as om iemand te hoor Frans praat. Glo my. :rolleyes:

Welkom in Kanada!!!

Estelle

Mon Dieu!

Thanks for the encouragement!

Summer is stunning in Montreal and there are loads to do, so one can actually just spend your day downtown between the most awesome bookshop Chapters and the jazz festival or a coffee shop and listen to various english accents.

The nice thing is that the music brings everyone together regardless if you are an alien.

I suppose every country/town etc. has some ignoramusus on board to make the rest of us realise how inteligent we actually are :rolleyes:

As for actually learning to speak French, perhaps I need to do it via UNISA!

Harry

Hang in there, ma'am!

Estelle

Harry

I suppose I will hang in, seems to be part of the settling in program. For those who have been here for ages, thank you for not forgetting what it feels like to be madly frustrated!

Anyway I am, unlucky for the quebecoise folk deep rock and as such will continue to give them a run for their language :rolleyes:

Guest Guest

Forget about Unisa.

The best way to learn a new language is to live it, and being in Montreal you'll pick French (or the local version of it) up in no time, as long as you're willing to learn it.

Harry

Estelle,

try to sound as un-English as you can, and they will love you. :rolleyes:

Estelle

This is always the thing not to sound english, perhaps I should approach them in Afrikaans? just kidding. I know some french phrases but lack the perfect pronouceation and as such get scarred to be misunderstood. As a native Afrikaner a gutteral language like German comes a lot easier than a tip of the tongue delicate language.

BTW are there CLSC centres is other provinces? This is where they have an immigration agent to help you integrate settle etc. in the case of Quebec send you for french lessons. I have an appointment to see an agent in June, so will do the lessons after that.

Will try to apply my nice self to tricky un co-operative locals.

Hendie

Estelle: read your messages! :)

Guest Guest_Andy

Hello

I am South African and I live in Montreal. I did the French course on the South shore. It is good. You should do it.

Send me an email with your phone number if you want to have A chat. andymyron@pcmall.com

Estelle

Hi Hendie

IF you are refering to email notices etc. my email has changed , otherwise I am missing something

Hendie

Estelle,

I have sent you emails to the hotmail account that you signed up with, and also a Private Message here on the forum. To read the latter, just click on the messages link next to My Controls at the top of the page. If your email address has changed, please correct that in your Controls area, there is a link at the left bottom of that page where you can do so (just remember to follow the instructions in the email that you will get!).

H.

Guest jayd

hi,is anyone there.

i am staying in mont royal,trying to learn french and get a job.

not as easy as i thought. :lol:

Guest Guest_Andy
hi,is anyone there.

not as easy as i thought. :blink:

Hi

I am South African in Montreal. give me a call at work (514)373-8828

Andy

Guest jayd

Hi everyone,

My name is Martine, and I'm a french canadian myself. I just brought my SA boyfriend here about a month ago. He has got a hard time liking montreal because of his lack of french abilities. He doesn't let me teach him french, because he's shy and think I just wanna take the B) out of him! I know it's hard to insert in a different society, nevermind a whole new language. I can't help my boyfriend with his french but maybe I can help some of you. I am not a french teacher and have never done it but I would like to offer my services for conversation, some basic grammer and vocabulary and "culture quebecoise"! Anyone interrested ?

Good luck everyone with your french,

Hope you can enjoy quebec fully!

Edited by jayd

Hendie

Now isn't that sweet of you Martine! :hug:

I am sure that there will be folks who would take you up on your offer. Thank you very much. For us over here in the west though, French is not really a necessity as for those in your part of the country, so I will pass up on that offer for now. But welcome to our forum anyway, glad to have you with us - and do feel free to contribute to our discussions. We love to get some Canadian input from time to time on our topics as well. You never know, we might even teach you some Afrikaans! ;)

Guest jayd

how you doing ANDY

i have not been on the forums for a while,just got your message.

i finally got a cool job in the old port as chef,but the french still isn`t happening.

chat to you later.

jayd

pauldijkman

Hello everyone - I just discovered this board - I have been living here in Quebec for most of the past 17 years altho' in this time I've also spent 6 years back in Joburg, 6 months in Nova Scotia, 18 months in Ottawa, 3 years in Toronto and a glorious 6 days in Alberta. If I could re-live my life I might make diffrent decisions as I am still struggling to find work. I was in IT for a while but now doing ESL. My parents and brothers live on the South Shore. I live in the East End (where they really do not speak more than one or two words of Anglais).

It was a big shock to discover and took me a long time to accept that Quebec is NOT a bilingual country. New Brunswick is the ONLY bilingual part of Canada (apart from a couple of blocks in Ottawa). French is the SOLE official language here and I spent many years refusing to accept that. The English community here is quite small , ageing , VERY insular, and has a very high turnover so does not provide any kind of stable ground for ones future. I am still only barely functional en Francais but have decided to immerse (aka drown) myself in French for three weeks of every month. I could ALWAYS use help and am long past the stahe of feeling embarrassed by my mistakes. If you are willing to TRY speaking only French the Francophones will LOVE you but always be sure to explain that you are not from Canada! and preferably not Anglophone at all.

Anyway (there are always exceptions to every rule including this one).

I would love to hear from other South Africans or friends of Safricans.

paulalexanderdijkman@yahoo.co.uk

(I asked yahoo for british spelling and it automatically gave me a UK address !?)

StevenS
hi,is anyone there.

not as easy as i thought. :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

not easy at all. I am still waiting for my PR to be approved. I am 25 years old and looking for SA musicians to help me kill time. At home most of the time so please drop a call (514)5939386

StevenS

Hi jos

Are you currently online?

Chambolin

We should be arriving Montreal in January or February which I know is the coldest time of the winter period. Can someone tell me the price of an averge accommodation and winter jackets? Will I be fortunate to get winter clothing on sale at that time of the year?

spanner

We should be arriving Montreal in January or February which I know is the coldest time of the winter period. Can someone tell me the price of an averge accommodation and winter jackets? Will I be fortunate to get winter clothing on sale at that time of the year?

It's tough to say without more information about you. Do you have a wife and kids? If so, then you'd need an apartment with like, 3 rooms I guess. What neighbourhood do you live in in Cape Town? If you come from Newlands or Rondebosch and would like to keep that same quality of life (the Montreal version), which means much smaller living spaces with no form of garden whatsoever, then you'd have to pay around $1500 a month for a condo with 3 rooms. You could go live in the East but I would not recommend that until you have a car and are totally fluent in French. You could go to Montreal North where the apartments are really cheap, however Montreal North is pretty dangerous as far as Montreal goes, lots of drugs and gangs, which is not the way you want to start the grueling immigration process. So you're left with West Island, the English side, which is cool if you have a car. You could find something cheaper than 1500 in West Island. Maybe 1000-1200 for a nice place for you guys. Or you could live more in the center like in Plateau Mont-Royal, which has quite a Cape Town vibe to it, just Arctic style, but a 3 bedroom condo in the plateau is 1500. The closer you get to downtown the pricier it becomes. I pay 750 a month for a one bedroom apartment close to downtown, which is pretty good. 2 Bedroom, more like 900-1000. Three bedroom goes up to 1300-1500.

Winter jackets, nothing sucks worse than a bad winter jacket. Just fork out the dough for a few good ones. 200-300 each should do it. You could find a cheaper one for more like 100 but you'll freeze. Sales normally start when it heats up, which is more towards the end of March. Don't forget you'll need winter boots as well, unless you want to go trekking through the snow in your Nikes! I could carry on all day. Bonne chance mon ami! Bienvenue au Québec!

greenleader

It's tough to say without more information about you. Do you have a wife and kids? If so, then you'd need an apartment with like, 3 rooms I guess. What neighbourhood do you live in in Cape Town? If you come from Newlands or Rondebosch and would like to keep that same quality of life (the Montreal version), which means much smaller living spaces with no form of garden whatsoever, then you'd have to pay around $1500 a month for a condo with 3 rooms. You could go live in the East but I would not recommend that until you have a car and are totally fluent in French. You could go to Montreal North where the apartments are really cheap, however Montreal North is pretty dangerous as far as Montreal goes, lots of drugs and gangs, which is not the way you want to start the grueling immigration process. So you're left with West Island, the English side, which is cool if you have a car. You could find something cheaper than 1500 in West Island. Maybe 1000-1200 for a nice place for you guys. Or you could live more in the center like in Plateau Mont-Royal, which has quite a Cape Town vibe to it, just Arctic style, but a 3 bedroom condo in the plateau is 1500. The closer you get to downtown the pricier it becomes. I pay 750 a month for a one bedroom apartment close to downtown, which is pretty good. 2 Bedroom, more like 900-1000. Three bedroom goes up to 1300-1500.

Winter jackets, nothing sucks worse than a bad winter jacket. Just fork out the dough for a few good ones. 200-300 each should do it. You could find a cheaper one for more like 100 but you'll freeze. Sales normally start when it heats up, which is more towards the end of March. Don't forget you'll need winter boots as well, unless you want to go trekking through the snow in your Nikes! I could carry on all day. Bonne chance mon ami! Bienvenue au Québec!

Hi Spanner,

I am SAffer who has just migrated to the "Marvellous Montreal " area................ My wife is Canadian and so there are no SA folk who I have been able to link up with yet.

If you would like to get together at any stage....my number is 514-946-0904.....give a shout. I am out in Laval.

Cheers

To those arriving in Canada in the new year, give me a shout as well, when you get here.

Chambolin

Merci Spanner de votre conseille. I can speak abit of french and I will be coming with my wife and two kids. I live in Parow West area here in Cape Town. Thanks alot once more.