Sign in to follow this  
Guest gertanel

Driving in Montreal

Guest gertanel

Hi all,

Last week I travelled with a Canadian friend from British Columbia to Nova Scotia (about 5700km in 6 days). As it happend to be, I was driving while going to Montreal.

My overall experience is that Canadian drivers are more tolerant and less aggresive, but not in Montreal. Within minutes I was in my old Cape Townian frame of mind struggling to get into a lane, and dealing with the impatience of fellow drivers. I must admit I was having a lot of fun. At some point I had to roll down the window and scream back at someone in Afrikaans, who was screaming at me in French. Luckily, neither of us understood what the other one said, but both could share their opinion and air their frustration in their own native tongue!!!

If you ever get the change to travel across this huge country, remember to unpack your old South African driving skills in Montreal!!!

I do not mean to offend people by indicating that all South Africans drive with less patience and tolerance. That was ,though, how I experienced it back in Cape Town.

Montreal is a beautiful city with a touch of European Architecture.

Anyone from Montreal who can share their driving experience in the city?

Anel

Edited by gertanel

Liz

Where in Nova Scotia did you visit?

Estelle

Hi There

My husband is from Montreal and I have visited the city twice in summer when it is very full of tourists and cant think of a moment where we experienced any remote sign of aggressive or intolerant behaviour, on the contrary I have experienced the "Quebecoirers" to be very patient especially since there is so much roardworks in summer which causes huge delays.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the city it is truly magnificent.

I will be leaving SA in 5 weeks to settle in Montreal and are looking very forward to the change. :unsure:

Guest Guest_Shadley

2 seasons in Canada------Winter and Construction------gotta love it.

Estelle

Hi Shadley

That about summs it up!