Sign in to follow this  
Mike77

Is it ok to move to Canada at age 54

Mike77

Hi

I am in the process to acquire my permanent residence for Canada. As most, the situation in SA is getting worse. I am using a well known agent that lives in Canada to acquire the necessary paperwork to immigrate. He however cannot answer me the Questions that I need answers to. The only way for me and my family ( wife , 2 children of 15 and I), is to have work in Canada. The immigration process is costly and I am willing to pay, but I am unsure of the work situation. I have a Trade as a Senior Electrical Designer and am good at what I do.  My present employer does not want to loose me, but understands the situation. Is there anybody in this forum that is of the same age and did this move. The uncertainty that I am too old to find work is hindering me to do this move. I would appreciate if someone could give me some tips, so that I can make my mind up.

Thanks in advance

Chris Sampson

Hi Mike,

Your main question is if you are too old to immigrate to Canada at the age of 54.  I think if you have arranged employment that should not be a problem. One advantage is although retirement age is 65 it is perfectly acceptable to continue working beyond that age in Canada.. The next issue to determine is where that will leave you financially in retirement. What you have saved in South Africa will not go as far in Canada particularly if you live an a major city. You wont have enough working time to build up a large pension, but may be eligible got GIS and other benefits. Have a look at https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/old-age-security/reports/oas-toolkit.html for more information.  Its complicated!! 

Chris Sampson RCIC

Jules

Landing in Canada in your mid 50s is definitely on the long side unless you are bringing over a large amount of cash to get established here. It’s not a lot of time to build a retirement picture unless you land with enough money. Trying to build a retirement nest egg over here over roughly 15 years will be rough considering property prices in most parts of the country. But anything is possible especially if you are willing to work into your 70s. 

Landing a first job as a 50-something year old is not easy because there is a fair amount of age discrimination taking place. If you need to land that job while still in SA then the odds definitely get longer for sure. But as they say - nothing ventured, nothing gained. 

Mike77

Hi. Thank you all for the guideline. If it wasn't for the worry of the Pension, I would of taken the chance. The agency never mentioned it at all. I know that I could of worked till the age of 70, but as deeper as I delve into the subject, the more answers that young people are wanted. I do not want to take a chance that I could live my old days without a secure pension. Thanks again for the honest answers. It prevents me to make a big mistake to not able to survive in Canada.The agency would of swallowed my money and in the end for nothing.