Sign in to follow this  
MRH

Dogs:Living arrangements in your home during winter time?

MRH

Hi all

We plan on taking our 2 medium -sized dogs with us when we move to Canada. I gather from some articles I have read that it's a different ball game when owning dogs as opposed to SA. Have any of you taken dogs with you? What do you do with them when you go to work and there is no one home (especially during the winter)?And when looking to buy a house, what do you need to take into consideration for the dogs other than a fenced yard?

Thanks

Edited by MRH

GrantM
11 hours ago, MRH said:

I have read that it's a different ball game when owning dogs as opposed to SA

Yup!

11 hours ago, MRH said:

Have any of you taken dogs with you?

Yes, two yorkies.

11 hours ago, MRH said:

What do you do with them when you go to work and there is no one home

Ours are crated, the one has separation anxiety and when left to roam the house got very destructive. Since being crated, she is a different dog. I used to think it was cruel but now they actually will go into their crates on their own and just chill even when we are home and the crate's door is open.

11 hours ago, MRH said:

And when looking to buy a house, what do you need to take into consideration for the dogs other than a fenced yard?

For us, an unfinished section of the basement or a big enough garage to put down a few puppy training pads makes a massive difference. Even tough we have been here for gong on 5 years our two will still not go out when we have had a decent amount of snow. So we let them go on the pee pads, pick up and flush the poo immediately and change the pads every two days or as needed. We get them for cheap in bulk at Costco. Sounds gross, but there is really not much of an alternative.

Nelline

Ours are crated when we're not at home, but I work flexi-hours which means they're not home alone for more than about 5 hours in one stretch. If it happens that I need to work longer, my husband can take them with him to work (there are beds and crates set up for them there - however it is rare that he needs to take all three, usually he chooses to take one at a time in with him for company) - I've inserted some "dogs at work" photos for attention 😛

We do not have a fenced in yard, we chose to train ours to respond to whistles instead - but we live in the rural countryside. 

I know of people who choose to have "inside potty areas" for their dogs in either the garage or the basement. This is a viable option. Others choose to pay local teenagers or active retired neighbours to walk their dogs at midday, or pay a professional dogwalker. 

There are many ways to "skin a cat!" (pardon the pun!) 

Murphy at work:

70314736_10157665483133824_1947596342490562560_n.jpg

MRH

Thanks guys- your answers were really helpful :)

Nelline

Oscar at work

69594001_10157649815683824_808811722738499584_n.jpg