Sign in to follow this  
Danie.v.H

That Painfull Question - HOW MUCH ??

Then you ought to be fine.

If you are prepared to rough it out for a while the future gets brighter - just go into a depressed state.

I need to know about these things and if it scares me off now then I'm never going to make it once I'm there. I need to be prepared and prepare myself. The more I know the more prepared I'll be. I live a very simple existence now so I won't be swopping the high life for something simpler.

KarinN

Not sure where you are looking at ending up, but I live in Surrey. By choosing to live in Surrey and not Vancouver, rent is a LOT cheaper. I have a two room basement in a good area of the city, walking distance from good schools, shops, and a block away from three transit stops. I ended up selling my car last year and I do just fine using public transport or walking. I knit/crochet/read on the bus and it will at most save me 20 minutes each day if I had a car in traffic. First time we rented we had to pay four months rent in advance and after three months the landlord took rent from the deposit for the next three months so that he was left with only the last month's rent until we moved.

O my hat !! I'll have to have a look around for more money. I was thinking wherever I land to try and get a basement flat close to public transport. Does that make sense. I didn't plan to get a car immediately. Am willing to use public transport if it is realistic?

I need to know about these things and if it scares me off now then I'm never going to make it once I'm there. I need to be prepared and prepare myself. The more I know the more prepared I'll be. I live a very simple existence now so I won't be swopping the high life for something simpler.

You have the correct approach to succeed in Canada, You can never over prepare yourself for this journey you are about to undertake. It all starts in South Africa when you collect that first document to prepare your application. Plan your process and work that plan. For myself ticking off those tasks as they were completed left a good feeling, like you've planned it and accomplished it. In 2014 I ticked the last task in my master plan that started more than 10 years ago, Canadian Citizenship! :)

Sideline

Lists / Tasks / Project plan = a very well executed Immigration experience like Lawrence mentioned.

That has been my approach and so far in 2 weeks I have achieved 70& of the things I set out to do in Canada since arriving.

Lists are here: http://www.sacanada.org/topic/19520-newbie-immigration-links/page-3

Slow down there girl, you have the rest of your life to achieve only the last 30% :D kidding of course, but I know what you mean. That last 30% will be done and then you will have to have a new master plan to plan.

Hahaha!

Yeah there is always a new master plan to plan...think Pinky and the Brain Sidey :P:D

Slow down there girl, you have the rest of your life to achieve only the last 30% :D kidding of course, but I know what you mean. That last 30% will be done and then you will have to have a new master plan to plan.

ClaudiaJane

KarinN you have what I want ! Except 1 bedroom would be enough for me ! The easy transport and I'm thinking I should be able to read even more while I wait for my stop to come up. I was thinking I should get all the forms and tests and stuff squared away and then move on to exploring where I would like to settle. I'm thinking choosing somewhere to stay just cos the name rolls off the tongue isn't the best way to choose. I am fascinated by the names of the provinces/territories.

AshB my lists have lists !! It annoys the friends and family to no end but that's the way I roll. I'm slowly but surely marking off things on my lists but then a new one pops up. I just know I'm going to learn patience on this journey. Not everything and everyone works to my pace. It might not be such a bad thing to learn some patience.

When should I sell my house ? I'm still in the early phase of this process. What if I sell it and then my application gets turned down ? What would you guys suggest ? I have an estate agent coming around on Monday to give me a realistic idea of what it is worth now.

Raquel

AshB my lists have lists !! It annoys the friends and family to no end but that's the way I roll. I'm slowly but surely marking off things on my lists but then a new one pops up. I just know I'm going to learn patience on this journey. Not everything and everyone works to my pace. It might not be such a bad thing to learn some patience.

:D HAHA - my lists have lists too!

Yes patience is key here! :P

MaryJane

I'm thinking choosing somewhere to stay just cos the name rolls off the tongue isn't the best way to choose. I am fascinated by the names of the provinces/territories.

Well that kinda beats my tactic. :D

I always knew it was gonna be the GTA (greater Toronto area) for us so I threw darts at the map and saw where it landed. And that was that... ;)

Which reminds me...... here's an advice I gave someone a while back with regards how to choose where to settle and talking about the throwing darts thing - http://www.sacanada.org/topic/18895-advice/

But I agree with most everybody...go where the job will be.

As for selling your house, your concerns are valid. What does the housing market in SA look like at the moment? How quickly would it sell etc should be factored in.

• Like 1

ClaudiaJane

Oo MaryJane there's a way to choose a place I didn't think off. I should find a pub with a dart board. The housing market seems to be ok. I bought in a area close to the University so there is always a demand for accommodation. I'll hear what the estate agent has to say on Monday.

Sideline

Just a note on that. It's been mentioned elsewhere before, but just to repeat and highlight the differences.

The average housing price through Canada is $440,000 (according to the article).

Now in Saffer minds that is GULP!!! How the F&@#%*€£¥ am I going to afford a 4.5 million house? ($440,000 CAD x10 -current exchange rate).

The answer is simple. In SA the interest rates are roughly 9.5% on property (sure you get higher and lower depending on your personal credit records etc). So a 4.5 million home will be around R42,000/R45,000 a month mortgage (bond) payment.

In Canada you can generally get home financing for under 3% (2.7%) at the moment. So a $450,000 home costs around $1,800 a month.

Thus it's 1/3 the rate you have in SA and affording a $450,000 home here is the same as affording a R1.5 mil home is SA.

• Like 2

ClaudiaJane

O my hat !! I can't see myself owning a home that expensive. I have to get my head around the exchange rate thing 1st. I currently have an interest rate of 8.5% which is good for SA. It must be a pleasure having that low an interest rate in Canada.

Jules

O my hat !! I'll have to have a look around for more money. I was thinking wherever I land to try and get a basement flat close to public transport. Does that make sense. I didn't plan to get a car immediately. Am willing to use public transport if it is realistic?

I think I recall you mention that you are coming over alone? A single person can really cut their expenses IMHO if they are ok roughing it a bit in the first year.

ClaudiaJane

Yes I will be going on this journey in my own. I'm interested to know what you guys would define 'roughing it' as.

As for selling your house, your concerns are valid. What does the housing market in SA look like at the moment? How quickly would it sell etc should be factored in.

MJ, we sold our home in South Africa two weeks ago. Was on the market for 4 to 5 months. Will differ from Province to Province, realtor that sold our home was saying the housing market in SA is a little uncertain with all that's happening at the moment. I'm glad we sold, we can now get on with our lives in Canada.

Oo MaryJane there's a way to choose a place I didn't think off. I should find a pub with a dart board. The housing market seems to be ok. I bought in a area close to the University so there is always a demand for accommodation. I'll hear what the estate agent has to say on Monday.

With your home being close to the Free State University, you shouldn't have a problem selling it. Still one of the highly regarded universities in SA.

M-N

The only thing that I find funny is that what you get here for $440K is not the same as what you will get for R4.5 mill in SA. I showed my hair stylist the type of houses you'll get with that amount in SA and she was dumbfounded. That being said I do know there's other factors that play in namely security, safety etc. but in a way it's still something to note. I personally am not a fan of how much alike the homes here look. Maybe it's just the city suburbs but I miss the uniqueness of the SA houses (not the complexes ). I've been to Inglewood here in Calgary and it's been one of the few neighbourhoods that I have seen where I can say not all the houses look the same. They remind me of Sims houses. :) don't get me wrong, they're cute and I'll probably end up buying one but I will be very tempted not to paint it neon pink with green polka dots just stop have variety.

Edited by M-N

Sideline

But M-N you can't compare $440,000 to R4.5 mil. You need to compare it to the same buying power standard of R1.2/1.5mil and then the finishes etc are not far off in most cases.

The financing interest rates and affordability put these two price ranges ($440k and R1.2m odd) into the same bracket when comparing.

Now if you actually had $440k to take to SA, then we can really have an interesting buying advantage :), but would we buy back there again?

Those "unique" SA houses were all the same/similar in building style/floor plans 30 - 50 years ago and time has had people add on, change and do different things to make them individual. Here unfortunately lot sizes seem to be restrictive in people wanting to change them, and 'row houses' wtc don't allow for much individuality :(

MaryJane

MJ, we sold our home in South Africa two weeks ago. Was on the market for 4 to 5 months. Will differ from Province to Province, realtor that sold our home was saying the housing market in SA is a little uncertain with all that's happening at the moment. I'm glad we sold, we can now get on with our lives in Canada.

Hopefully, I'm gonna follow in your footsteps soon, Lawrence.

Looks like the exchange rate is also tanking.... :badidea: so yeah, that's another factor to consider as well.

With regards talk of individuality in houses....I don't know hey, I kinda like the row houses and the uniformity of it all. I suppose my taste is a bit wonky at that. But there's something about being the same yet slightly different.

20fbz3k.jpg

• Like 1

Sideline

But there's something about being the same yet slightly different.

As my favourite saying in Thailand goes "All same same, but different" :P

If that's your truck, at least that makes it unique :)

• Like 1

ClaudiaJane

What I find amazing is that there are no fences/6 foot walls in front of the houses. No electric fen es or booms or security guards to get past when you just want to go for a cuppa at a friend's house.

• Like 1

M-N

What I find amazing is that there are no fences/6 foot walls in front of the houses. No electric fen es or booms or security guards to get past when you just want to go for a cuppa at a friend's house.

Yes, we're still get over that. It's pretty amazing. There's a park opposite our Condos and sometimes we'll see a little bicycle lying there for days.

ClaudiaJane

That seems to be so worth all the effort that one must put it to get to Canada. To be able to gor a walk without constantly having to look over your shoulder.

M-N

That seems to be so worth all the effort that one must put it to get to Canada. To be able to gor a walk without constantly having to look over your shoulder.

So true. I always say that if you're ever home-sick in Canada just got for a walk. Everything will be put back into perspective again. :)
  • Like 1

ClaudiaJane

Well that was money spent this morning to have my hopes dashed. I only have 338 points for EE and would only qualify for PNP in Saskatchewan. It's back to the drawing board for me.