Sign in to follow this  
Charl&Wouter

Tips to get RTMC letter to help with Canada drivers license?

Team R

Hi guys,

Please could someone clarify something for me - is this letter a record of how long you have had your drivers license in S.A? Or is it a record of how long you have had insurance?

My husband got his drivers in 2001 but hasn't had insurance for the last few years... Is he still able to get the letter?

Thanks in advance. x

MaryJane

Hi guys,

Please could someone clarify something for me - is this letter a record of how long you have had your drivers license in S.A? Or is it a record of how long you have had insurance?

My husband got his drivers in 2001 but hasn't had insurance for the last few years... Is he still able to get the letter?

Thanks in advance. x

Hi

The RTMC letter pertains to driving history and nothing to do with insurance. You get this letter from the Road Traffic Management Corp.

This letter is mainly used so that when you go for your CA drivers licence tests, you can show them that you have been driving for a while and that you are not a new driver. If you cannot prove history, restrictions will apply on when you can go for your drivers test after your learners. Apparently this depends on the province but when I went to take my drivers here in Ontario, I had to produce this letter.

Hope this info helps.

Edited by MaryJane
  • Like 1

Helanie

Thanks for the information guys!! :hug: I will keep this nearby once we get to this stage!!! :ilikeit:

Team R

@MaryJane - thanks for the clarification! :)

And I want to keep this thread at the top of the list...our turn is coming!

Mind you my UK driving licence is still valid and will have no issue using it in Toronto.

MaryJane

And I want to keep this thread at the top of the list...our turn is coming!

Mind you my UK driving licence is still valid and will have no issue using it in Toronto.

UK driver's licence may be exchanged for a Canadian driver's licence.

You have 60 days to exchange it.

Here's the link for Ontario - http://drivetest.ca/EN/licencing/Pages/Exchanging-a-Reciprocal-Licence.aspx

• Like 1

Here's the link for Ontario - http://drivetest.ca/EN/licencing/Pages/Exchanging-a-Reciprocal-Licence.aspx

MJ - shhhhh!!!! This is a touchy point. Although AshB's UK drivers license is still valid, mine expired two months ago..... We know you can exchange a UK license for an Ontario one, which is great news for ash..... Not so great for me.

But great advice none the less!!!!!

Edited by WernerC

Sideline

MJ - shhhhh!!!! This is a touchy point. Although AshB's UK drivers license is still valid, mine expired two months ago..... We know you can exchange a UK license for an Ontario one, which is great news for ash..... Not so great for me.

But great advice none the less!!!!!

Werner,

That "might" not be correct (and I do say might with caution). Your UK drivers is technically valid until your 70th birthday if I'm not mistaken. The "photo" is only valid for 10 years or something, this is to ensure that people update their photo for identification every few years. You can't after all expect to have a photo ID valid if you are 65 and the photo is from when you were 20 :D

Check the back of your photo drivers, it should say you are still able to drive but the "photo" validity has expired.

Could be wrong if the rules have changed though, so just check it out.

Worst that can happen is that you try exchange it and they say NO :)

Edited by Sideline
  • Like 1

Werner,

That "might" not be correct (and I do say might with caution). Your UK drivers is technically valid until your 70th birthday if I'm not mistaken. The "photo" is only valid for 10 years or something, this is to ensure that people update their photo for identification every few years. You can't after all expect to have a photo ID valid if you are 65 and the photo is from when you were 20 :D

Check the back of your photo drivers, it should say you are still able to drive but the "photo" validity has expired.

Thannks once again MJ and Sideline.

Werner,

Sidey - I wish! When I converted my license to the UK license in 2005, they actually placed a expiry date on the license card itself. So this means that my license have expired. And there is a law that says you can only renew your license if you reside in the UK, and not when living abroad - so I can't renew it! :cry: The information on the Ontario websites which I have read, clearly states that your UK license has to be valid at the time when converting to the Canadian license, and you have to send your license card as well as paper counter part. (Luckily we still have both)

I might just give it a try to convert my UK license when we arrive and plead my case saying that I wasn't living in the UK and couldn't renew it, and seeing that it just expired - if they can't cut me some slack..... Will have to see how that pans out and give you guys an update. So for me right now plan B is - RTMC letter unfortunately......

Sideline

Sidey - I wish! When I converted my license to the UK license in 2005, they actually placed a expiry date on the license card itself. So this means that my license have expired. And there is a law that says you can only renew your license if you reside in the UK, and not when living abroad - so I can't renew it! :cry: The information on the Ontario websites which I have read, clearly states that your UK license has to be valid at the time when converting to the Canadian license, and you have to send your license card as well as paper counter part. (Luckily we still have both)

I might just give it a try to convert my UK license when we arrive and plead my case saying that I wasn't living in the UK and couldn't renew it, and seeing that it just expired - if they can't cut me some slack..... Will have to see how that pans out and give you guys an update. So for me right now plan B is - RTMC letter unfortunately......

Yip, that is correct, the plastic card is the expiring part of 10 years or whatever.

That paper counter part should be the "real" license that expires at age 70. The plastic card is both photo ID and your drivers identification, but the paperart is the actual license. That should have an expiry far into the future.

Like you say, try plead the case, but keep that RTMC letter etc as a backup :)

• Like 1

Yip, that is correct, the plastic card is the expiring part of 10 years or whatever.

That paper counter part should be the "real" license that expires at age 70. The plastic card is both photo ID and your drivers identification, but the paperart is the actual license. That should have an expiry far into the future.

Like you say, try plead the case, but keep that RTMC letter etc as a backup :)

Sidey Sidey Sidey. I'm so happy about your existence that I could kiss you round about now! So I went and looked at the paper license and low and behold you are right!!!!!!! My UK license is valid till 2050! It's just the plastic bit that expired - the one with the photo!!!!

I will play it safe and still take the RTMC letter, but hopefully I won't need it now.

Thank you so so much! You are a true asset to this forum!

Hi All.....

So just a quick update about the UK drivers licenses.....

The link that MJ gave for conversion of UK drivers licenses says:

" *Note: The class B Great Britain drivers licence has two parts. Both the photo card and the counterpart must be surrendered at the time of the exchange. If you have misplaced either one of these pieces, an original, Certificate of Entitlement, dated within the last 6 months, issued by the DVLA must be presented in order for the exchange to take place."

As you all know, I got my letter very quickly last week and confirmed that my paper license is valid until 2050. GREAT! AshB then said - OK Where is my paper counter part..... Well that question spelled the agenda for my weekend past. I turned the house upside down - looked in every cupboard, file, box etc and just can't find that darn piece of paper..... oh donkey doo-da :oops:

So on Sunday afternoon - I admit defeat on this fricken piece of paper and I went to google and typed "How to obtain by paper based drivers license from DVLA if I lost mine" ...... The result was actually very on-point and VERY topical. It turns out that as of Today - 8 June 2015 - the DVLA says that you no longer need your paper counter part and it has no status. It even goes as far as saying that you can destroy your counter part (Spot the loophole coming :ilikeit: ) - link can be found here https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driving-licence-changes

So that means that we are going to go to Canada and say "But the UK government says you don't need it, and here is my VALID UK Drivers license card" and see what they say........

And then today I found yet another link - it turns out that you can actually now get the paper based bit of your UK license ONLINE!!!! HAPPY DAYS! Link is here - https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

For every solution though I seem to find a problem - I can find my license on-line - but AshB's license - it's giving me a problem.... But I am not ready to admit defeat just yet!

And oh, another great piece of information I got from that link MJ sent us about Drivers license conversion is

"An expired licence is acceptable as long as it has not expired for over one year at the time of the exchange. If the licence has expired over one year, you will be required to enter the graduated licencing system; however, you may be credited for driving experience gained within the past three years."

As mine expired in April 2015 - it means yet again that I can do the exchange even on an expired license!!!! :boxing::boxing: :boxing: :boxing:

Edited by WernerC

:grad: - Got AshB's license on-line as well and now (hopefully) it is all done!

PS - That website where you check your paper license online also gives you the option to share the information with a 3rd party, for instance car rental companies. Although still in Beta phase, I hope this will be done when I arrive in Canada and I can make use of this feature for them to check the information themselves.

HAPPY Days!

Huge sigh of relief!

And getting the RTMC letter was a breeze, simply went to the Pretoria office and asked for the letter. Waited for about 30min and had it.

Some information was incorrect so we had them redo and reprint.

Painless process.

I would recommend doing this in your respective areas / provinces.

Werner / AshB, your UK licence is great news! One less hoop to jump through when you folk arrive. You will also get better auto insurance rates for Ontario as you are doing a UK drivers licence conversion.

Johno

Hi All.....

So just a quick update about the UK drivers licenses.....

The link that MJ gave for conversion of UK drivers licenses says:

" *Note: The class B Great Britain drivers licence has two parts. Both the photo card and the counterpart must be surrendered at the time of the exchange. If you have misplaced either one of these pieces, an original, Certificate of Entitlement, dated within the last 6 months, issued by the DVLA must be presented in order for the exchange to take place."

As you all know, I got my letter very quickly last week and confirmed that my paper license is valid until 2050. GREAT! AshB then said - OK Where is my paper counter part..... Well that question spelled the agenda for my weekend past. I turned the house upside down - looked in every cupboard, file, box etc and just can't find that darn piece of paper..... oh donkey doo-da :oops:

So on Sunday afternoon - I admit defeat on this fricken piece of paper and I went to google and typed "How to obtain by paper based drivers license from DVLA if I lost mine" ...... The result was actually very on-point and VERY topical. It turns out that as of Today - 8 June 2015 - the DVLA says that you no longer need your paper counter part and it has no status. It even goes as far as saying that you can destroy your counter part (Spot the loophole coming :ilikeit: ) - link can be found here https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driving-licence-changes

So that means that we are going to go to Canada and say "But the UK government says you don't need it, and here is my VALID UK Drivers license card" and see what they say........

And then today I found yet another link - it turns out that you can actually now get the paper based bit of your UK license ONLINE!!!! HAPPY DAYS! Link is here - https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

For every solution though I seem to find a problem - I can find my license on-line - but AshB's license - it's giving me a problem.... But I am not ready to admit defeat just yet!

And oh, another great piece of information I got from that link MJ sent us about Drivers license conversion is

"An expired licence is acceptable as long as it has not expired for over one year at the time of the exchange. If the licence has expired over one year, you will be required to enter the graduated licencing system; however, you may be credited for driving experience gained within the past three years."

As mine expired in April 2015 - it means yet again that I can do the exchange even on an expired license!!!! :boxing::boxing: :boxing: :boxing:

Man of man, I am so glad I saw this post, :censored: directed by MaryJane!!!!! Dankie skattie :ilikeit:

Werner, my UK card license expired on 07-03-2012, but I still have my paper license which expires in 07-01-2047. So from your posts above I deduct that I cannot just exchange my UK license for a full Canadian one.

It seems this then applies to me, but what does it mean in practical terms?: "you will be required to enter the graduated licencing system; however, you may be credited for driving experience gained within the past three years".

Edited by Johno

It means that you will be given a G1 license, which normally you have to have for some time before you can go for your final test to get a full G license. They will then credit you with years of driving experience allowing you to take the test sooner to get a full G license.

G1 licenses have restrictions imposed on them, whilst a full G license have no restrictions imposed on them.

My advice though is go and speak to an agent at service Ontario when you get here to establish your best route to convert your license. They are super friendly and helpful.

And keep your RTMC letter handy as a backup in case your UK drivers license pose to be a problem. That will be plan B.

Edited by WernerC

Johno

Thank you W, much appreciated. At least I dont have to write/undertake the G1 license - I get to drive from the start it seems. Lets see, maybe I can turn their rubber arm to allow me a full license if I smile REALLY nice :blush:

MaryJane

I'm not 100% on this but I think when it says "you have to enter the graduated licencing system", it means you have to take the G1 test. The graduated licencing system in Ontario is a 2-step process. Here's more info - http://settlement.org/ontario/daily-life/transportation/driver-s-licence/what-is-graduated-licensing/

The process is similar to when you have the RTMC letter on hand with you.

You take the G1 test, pass it. Give the RTMC letter, get credits for driving history. You can then take the G test immediately.

If you fail the G test, and you wanna re-take, you can only re-take on the G2 level.

But then again, I'm not even sure where you're going to settle so this could all be different if you land on the West Coast.

Johno

MJ, please correct if I am wrong, but the extract below says the following (on the website http://drivetest.ca/EN/licencing/Pages/Exchanging-a-Reciprocal-Licence.aspx ) regarding me having an expired UK card license (although the paper license is still valid):

"With driving experience of more than two years in the last three years:

· You will be eligible to do an exchange of your licence equivalent to Ontario’s class ‘G’ full licence.

· Controlled class licences from Canadian jurisdictions with the exception of school bus licences are eligible for exchange. For drivers who hold a commercial licence, a medical is required in order for the exchange to be processed. A blank medical form can be obtained from any DriveTest location.

· You will be required to present your valid driver’s licence. An expired licence is acceptable as long as it has not expired for over one year at the time of the exchange. If the licence has expired over one year, you will be required to enter the graduated licencing system; however, you may be credited for driving experience gained within the past three years.

· If your driver’s licence is in a language other than English or French, it must be translated into English or French by a Ministry approved translator.

· You will be required to surrender your licence with the exception of Japan.

· You may be required to provide a driver’s history or abstract to confirm the status of your licence and length of driving experience. Please refer to the above chart for information on jurisdictions requiring a driver’s abstract.

· You must pay the applicable fees. Please refer to the Licence Fees page for fees. Fees are payable by cash, credit card, debit card, travelers cheques, money orders, bank drafts and certified cheque payable to "DriveTest".

· You may apply at any of our 55 DriveTest Centres province-wide. For information on our DriveTest Centres, please refer to the Locations page.

· You will be required to do a vision test.

· You are not required to take a road test."

It says no road test is required, but maybe it will require a theory test - I do not know at all.

Edited by Johno

MaryJane

Hi Johno

It would seem like you won't need to take a road test based according to the extract provided. I'd err on the side of caution though and say that this might only apply to licence exchanges where the driver can prove licence validity and driving experience of more than 2 years.

I think your main issue might not be using the expired licence to gain G1/G2/G but whether you can still claim credits for experience gained. One of the highlighted parts said:

If the licence has expired over one year, you will be required to enter the graduated licencing system; however, you may be credited for driving experience gained within the past three years.

It would appear that since your card expired in 2012 that you would not be covered by the "within the past 3 years" blanket.

Again, just the way I read it. It would not hurt to bring both UK and SA licence (together with RTMC) as WernerC suggests. At least if one fails, there is another to fall back on.

Werner, my UK card license expired on 07-03-2012, but I still have my paper license which expires in 07-01-2047. So from your posts above I deduct that I cannot just exchange my UK license for a full Canadian one.

Johno, not a chance you can renew your UK Card Licence from outside the UK? Such a pity if you can't, that one less hoop to jump through while settling in makes a big difference. There's also the added advantage of reduced auto insurance rates if you heading to Ontario.

Great advice as usual from MJ and Werner. Follow Werner's plan A, first produce your UK paper licence, who knows you might get lucky. :magic: Failing that you have your trusty SA licence with RTMC for Werner's plan B.

Edited by Lawrence

Marelke Roux

Any ideas how to obtain the RTMC letter if you are living in Cape Town?

Raquel

@Helanie is based in Cape Town - perhaps she can advise...