Worsstop

Liz

Here are a few photos taken at our worsstop today. We had a braai afterwards and boerewors rolls were the order of the day!

post-141-1284855763.jpg

post-141-1284855773.jpg

post-141-1284855791.jpg

post-141-1284855811.jpg

Even the kids had fun!

post-141-1284855982.jpg

Here are a few photos taken at our worsstop today. We had a braai afterwards and boerewors rolls were the order of the day!

Nou is ek skoon jaloers!!! Sies vir jou Liz, hoe kan jy 'n mens so lus maak??? :):lol:

Ek het gese jy moet kom kuier! :)

We had a bit of a cold spell after the hurricane, but it started warming up again last week and Saturday turned out to be so nice!

Nice pics Liz, looks awesome and the wors looks really good.

I was wondering, where do you buy the derms(they seem to be nice and long) and also where do you get your spices.

We get ours from SA(Freddy Hirsch) everytime someone comes here we get them to bring some with, but our opportunities are running out slowly. We need to start thinking of self sufficiency.

In the past we used to make batches of 40kg at a time, but it lasted too long so it was not as fresh, now a days we make 10kg every 6 weeks or so, much better. Also I saw on DDD where a restaurant owner made their own sausage, they mixed their spices with water and added the spiced liquid to the mix, so we started doing that early this year and it definitely makes a big difference as the spices seem to be more evenly spread through the meat.

Out of Africa Trading in Vancouver sells the spices, as far as I know....and they sell Freddy Hirsch spices too. I believe we got our last ones from there. Maybe someone there can just correct me if I used the wrong name.... Some people found recipes (for spices) on the internet and just mixed their own and we quite happy with the results.

We buy the casings from a deli in Halifax. They sell a kilo at a time. We only take out and use what we need and freeze the rest until we make again. It stays good as it is in a salt 'preservative'. They are the real deal...not the synthetic ones.

Thx Liz - checked out Out of Africa trading and their boerewors spice prices are actually not bad although I suspect the shipping costs mivht kill the deal - I will probably look for an online spice recipe and buy some spices from Bulk Barn and see how that works...although we still have enough spices for a year or so.