Sign in to follow this  
montie

Anyone from Montreal?

montie

I was wondering if there are any South Africans living in Montreal. I see most South Africans move to BC or Toronto but harldy any in Montreal. It would be nice to meet other South Africans.

Dedré

Montie, I moved your post here, as I thought it would get better exposure rather than under the title "Imagine If". Hope it is O.k. with you.

Jules

I'm going to guess that there are very few SAns in Montreal because of the potential language barriers in the workplace. I've never been to Montreal, but I have only heard good things about the place. If English was the main language there, then I would expect there would be heaps of SAns.

Do you speak French?

JeanDV

There was a guy from Cape Town that used to come here , but it has been over a year since his last visit . ( Nick was "Spanner" ) . He was married to a girl from Quebec

and they were living in Montreal.

I live 230 klm east of Montreal ( Quebec city ).

montie

Montreal isn't all that French once you live here for a while you will see that most of the French speakers love to speak English, however it will help you a lot if you make the effort to speak French.

Yes, I speak French well enough to have a conversation, listen to the news, watch some French movies and read what is important.....but i'm no expert. My husband is English Canadian and speaks French well.

I would of loved to ,meet some South Africans around so my little girl can hear a bit more Afrikaans and just get more South African exposure.

Montreal is a lovely place and i really like Quebec as a province.....however i have not lived in other parts of Canada. It is a very friendly place and some of the best places to study in the country. If you a foreigner it is the cheapest place to study and get a good deal.

In Montreal you can move around with ease, as there are the metro and the bus to take you from A to B.

montie
Montie, I moved your post here, as I thought it would get better exposure rather than under the title "Imagine If". Hope it is O.k. with you.

It's ok Dedre.

Nirak
Montreal isn't all that French once you live here for a while you will see that most of the French speakers love to speak English, however it will help you a lot if you make the effort to speak French.

Yes, I speak French well enough to have a conversation, listen to the news, watch some French movies and read what is important.....but i'm no expert. My husband is English Canadian and speaks French well.

I would of loved to ,meet some South Africans around so my little girl can hear a bit more Afrikaans and just get more South African exposure.

Montreal is a lovely place and i really like Quebec as a province.....however i have not lived in other parts of Canada. It is a very friendly place and some of the best places to study in the country. If you a foreigner it is the cheapest place to study and get a good deal.

In Montreal you can move around with ease, as there are the metro and the bus to take you from A to B.

I think all the additional requirements to immigrate or obtain a work permit in Quebec (province) makes it very hard for South Africans to move there.

montie
I think all the additional requirements to immigrate or obtain a work permit in Quebec (province) makes it very hard for South Africans to move there.

I came to Canada as a student and the cheapest place i found to study was Quebec. I was suprised at the huge price differences......yes the requirements for Quebec is a bit much as you need to get a study permit from the Government of Quebec first then you have to get a Federal one it cost me double.....but it can work to your advantage too.

I met many Russians that get their papers with just the minimum French. Most South Africans speak more than one language learning one extra language is possible.

My opinion is that Quebec is actually the easiest province to come to when applying for papers as they need skilled people and yes French speakers...but there are many places you can go to for free as a PR to learn Quebec French

spanner

Hi Montie,

I've lived in Montreal for a couple years now. I ran into a guy from Durban about a year ago but thats been my only encounter with a saffer so far. We are pretty scarce over here, which is a pity cos in my opinion Quebec est la meilleure province du Canada!

Mike and Jenny
I was wondering if there are any South Africans living in Montreal. I see most South Africans move to BC or Toronto but harldy any in Montreal. It would be nice to meet other South Africans.

Hi Montie

Yep, there are some other crazies living near Montreal. We have been here since Sept 2004 and thought we were the only crazy SAs to choose Quebec. We live in Chambly which is about a 30min trip from Montreal and usually go through to Montreal on a Sunday for church, so if you would like to hook up, it would be great to meet you for lunch somewhere. You can contact us on gilliminkie@yahoo.ca if you would like to get in touch, give us your details that way and then we can get in touch with you. Best regards Jenny and Mike le Grange

Jules

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought one can apply for immigration to any other province, e.g. Ontario under the "regular" rules and simply land in any province except Quebec on day #1 to activate permanent residency. The next day, once you have PR you could move to Quebec and go on with your life.