JeanDV

Snow in Quebec

JeanDV

My frontyard ( March2008)

You have three possibilities for the driveway :

1) shovel the snow yourself

2) Get a snowblower

3) Hire a contractor ( my choice )

So the contractor blows the snow from the driveway to the frontyard) So at the end of the winter, there’s an unbelievable amount of snow accumulated. I still had snow on the frontyard on May 15th.

Total snowfall in 2008 was 545 cm ( about 18 feet ), an all-time record. The average is about 350-360 . The contractor was caught off-guard and had to ask all clients a special contribution so he doesn’t go belly-up. So this year we must pay a penalty to the snow contractor for each centimeter over the average.

DSCN0548.jpg

Backyard .

The wind blows the snow from the pool to the sides of the backyard. My fence is 7 feet high and you can barely see the top of it.

DSCN0554.jpg

My neighbor on the left. Not much place to dump snow anymore.

DSCN0549.jpg

Winter tires are now mandatory from Dec 15th to March 15th . Winter is long , brutal and very unequal . Last week we had 2 straight snowfall , then minus 25 for 2 days followed by one full day of pouring rain ( + 10 ) then if froze . My driveway was like an ice rink. So I had to buy some « salt » and put it all over the driveway so visitors don’t kill themselves. People working in the delivery business all wear boots with steel nails under.

Last winter , the City police was called a couple of times for « snowblowing » fights . One guy is snowblowing his driveway and the neighbor thinks some of the snow drops in his own driveway/frontyard. So he starts snowblowing back …They do it for a while then go at each other .

That’s winter !!

Edited by JeanDV

Pierre
That’s winter !!

A little bit of snow is nice and fun but too much of it becomes a headache.

I had this kind of problem as well in the past - blowing onto the neighbour's driveway. But then went to clean his side also. No fights. Besides he owns a couple of guns, so I wouldnt argue with him.

When we have too much snow around , we leave it on the driveway and trample it down with the car as we come and go.

As long as the bottom of the car clears the snow one can travel.

Winter tires are now mandatory from Dec 15th to March 15th

Do allweather tires qualify for this regulation - just wondered?

Merv
Do allweather tires qualify for this regulation - just wondered?

Not a chance :angry:

Snow, or more accurately, Winter tires, have a radically different rubber compound and tread design. They do make a big difference in icy conditions especially. Fresh snpw is normally not a problem to drive on, the tricky stuff starts happening when it gets a little icy. The pressure of your tire actually melts the ice momentarily and creates a slick film of water on top of the ice. The tires are deigned top specifically deal with that, as well as clear out any ice/snow buildup on the tread efficiently

Pierre

Thanks for clarifying.

Seems like Quebec snow conditions are more slippery than over here.

Lots of people here in FMM use winter tyres but it is not mandatory even though we have snow on the ground for 7 months.

Liz

I use winters and I feel a lot safer doing so. They definitely make a big difference.