RAAI-RAAI

Hendie

Pierre,

I'm actually confused about the first line of your response...If you are talking about the first picture...the answer is "NO"...it was taken in Spring and I took it . The direction is not west . [Consider two clues in this comment]

If you are talking about the picture supporting question [c], then the answer is "I don't know", because I did not take the picture.

As regards the second picture....clearly not the BC coast! Certainly the picture looks like the more eastern parts of the country in Fall. This picture I did NOT take. It is representative of the nature in area [c]. It could be that there is yet a further place in Canada or the USA where this human political oddity occurs, but I have not been able to find one. So I believe it occurs in only two places. Both can clearly be seen on maps, if you know what to be looking for. B)

The reason for splitting the Raai-Raai into two, was because the first one [a]&, which should be easy, tells you generically what to be looking for in the second one [c]. If you know which bit hit the news in 1998, then [c] is easy. Otherwise, I'd stick to [a] till I have cracked it. The answer to is obvious once [a] is solved.

Clue 1 is the central one for [a]. Just identify what it is you are seeing in the picture and take out your map.! The particular place has been referred to more than once in posts on this forum.! Once by Kolla, and also by me.

Clue: it is NOT a toll collection point, not a ferry terminal, not a parking area....... ;)

Note that I have added the word "contiguous" to the original post, because Alaska creates possible confusion...ignore it.

Edited by Harry

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hendie

• Pierre

• digin

• Harry

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WOW...but it REALLY is quiet....not just on this topic, but on the whole forum. This has to be the slowest weekend since I got here in November 2003....wonder why?

Harry I appologise but I have been busy. It is the time of the year for considering death and taxes. Also it is spring so the activity on the web will decline depending on the weather... B)

I am allready addicted to Sacanada so it's difficult not to go here first when getting at the computer.

You and others have made valuable, and lengthy, contributions to the public knowledge sharing among South Africans.

The thought occurred to me that ones interest shifts as time goes by here in Canada. However there are always new people joining and going through the different stages. So all information is relevant.

Pierre,

you are forgiven...so what are the cars doing in picture 1?. If I took the picture, it cannot be TOO far from where I live. I have never been beyond Lethbridge to the east.

Harry the clue you gave about "The indigenous people in that area are Chippewa" led me to the Niagra area.

The cars are probably going over the international border near your place. It's the going through another country that I cannot solve. I dont see any small countries around here.

Pierre,

1. It is a borderpost...yes!

2. You may not believe it, but only two countries are logically required to solve clue no1...look at the map.

3. The local Chippewa indigenous folks at [c] are, more specifically, Ojibwe

Edited by Harry

Harry I cant identify a border post that leads nowhere.

There is this funny piece of land called Point Roberts which overlaps into the USA and goes nowhere but there would not be a border post.

If only two countries are involved it would mean the kids go into another country not through it to go to school.?

Point Roberts has a complete border post!

Lord Roberts was a Boer War general

It is not named after him, It is named after a friend of Vancouver, captain of the Discovery.

The kids make their way every day from the USA ( Point Roberts), through the southern part of Vancouver, and back into the USA at Blaine, to go to school!!!

In the last three weeks they have caught two US school kids smuggling marijuana through the post.

That is how Point Roberts made the US and Canadian news over this period.

The whole Point Roberts is only 5 square miles. The road ends about a mile beyond the border post!! The camera is facing south!

Point Roberts is created by the fact that the 49th parallel cuts across the peninsula, creating a piece of the USA that is not connected to the rest of that country.

There is , in fact, another place where this happens ( Now you see why I took Alaska out of the picture)

Edited by Harry

B) I read a lot about Jumanji as well but could not connect to the reference you gave. Lol

I could not understand how the pan handle of Alaska came about... always wondered about it, with all the straight lines being drawn accross the country's borders.

I didnt think Point Roberts would be a part of the USA. Some things are just not so practical it seems.

In SA we had a few places proclaiming themselves independant republics ... unofficially. Like the republic of Hout Bay and the Republic of Plettenberg Bay. But generally speaking the borders were straight forward in the old SA. The new SA also does not make too much sense. Having said that, I have to admit the old homelands were hard to understand, especially Kwa-Zulu. All thos bits and pieces .... I could not see it function as a country ever!

Edited by Pierre

The street scenes from Jumanji, where all the computer generated animals run through the streets, were shot in Tsawwassen, which is the suburb of Vancouver that borders onto Point Roberts.

The panhandle of Alaska is where it is because the Russians had a foodgrowing station at Sitka, which was about as far south as they could push to get to a decent climate at the time. How exactly they argued out the border I am not sure, but it was quite a big deal at the end of the 19th century during the gold rush.

I believe the US holds onto Point Roberts in order to be able to control as much sea as possible around these parts. It is quite a favourite day-visit spot for Vancouverites. The US coast at Blaine is also actually very nice.

SO!...there is one other place where there is a disjointed piece of USA stuck to Canada....where is it? This time the 49th parallel is not to blame ( that is a clue)

Edited by Harry

This is no guessing...just a piece of (interesting) info. Were you aware that a little piece of Quebec, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia are actually strictly speaking, 'attached' to USA and not Canada? Hmmmm, maybe that is why we don't receive much acknowledgement from the rest of Canada....???? B)

Liz,

I would regard the StLawrence as a river, and therefore part of the contiguous continent. If we could treat the rivers in the fashion you suggest, then the most useful part of Washington State would be attached to Canada. :ilikeit:

SO! Are you guys all giving up on the quiz here?

Now that you know WHAT the thing is to look for....WHERE IS IT!? I've already helped by stating that the 49th parallel is not to blame...at least not directly! :) ..that removes BC, Alberta and Saskatchewan from the list!!

I would have thought that Jana would answer!??? [That's a clue, OKAY!!]

Edited by Harry

Come now, folks!

This is the geography lesson for the day!:

If Point Roberts at Vancouver is the one piece of the USA that is stuck to Canada without being connected by land (or river) to the USA, where is the other piece? Get out a map and look. It is not in BC, Alberta or Saskatchewan and Alsaka is not in the game.

There is an old French fort there form the early 1700's, the indigenous people are Chippewa, they catch great walleye there and the trees seem to be quite colourful in fall....and they wanted to break away from the USA and join Canada in 1998!

This is cool stuff we need to know.

It must be the North West Angle in Minnesota. See map for where it is (borders Manitoba).

post-16-1079493317_thumb.jpg

Since we are on the subject of borders, for my "prize" do I get to do the next Raai Raai. Here it is:

RAAI-RAAI : 8

Where is this building? And what is so special about it?

Hints:

(1) It's a Library and an Opera House.

(2) It's in North America.

(3) It has a unique feature that made insurance for the building extremely complicated, involving fire departments from different countries.

(4) No more buildings can be built that has this feature, and pretty much all buildings having this feature have been knocked down, with only a few historical ones remaining.

post-16-1079493479_thumb.jpg

Edited by digin

As for Digin's answer : 100%!! You indeed get to post the next Raai-raai.

It used to be Sioux territory , but they had a huge battle with the Chippewa, who were displaced from the east. The Sioux left. and went south. Most of the area is a reservation for the Ojibwe people. Because it is all on the Lake of the Woods, which is great walleye catching area, tourism is quite good.

The little town in the section of land is called Angle Inlet.

The fort is Fort St Charles, which was built by 1732 by by Pierre La Verendrye. It is a National Heritage Site.

About wanting to join Canada.....

The Northwest Angle appeared on the nation's radar last spring when a group of residents announced their desire to secede from the U.S. and join Manitoba. The reason was a complicated dispute involving the U.S., Canada, Ontario, Minnesota, and international treaties. Angle residents say Canada has passed burdensome border-crossing rules while Ontario, fearing overfishing, has passed discriminatory fishing regulations. Angle residents have also become angry over inaction by the U.S. They say regulation of international border waters can't apply to just certain groups on that water.

The point being, if you stay at a Canadian resort, you can boat to an American resort. And when you get there, you can pick up the phone, call U.S. customs, buy a license, and you can go catch a limit of walleyes and keep them. If you're staying at a U.S. resort, you have to buy a permit, then buy a license, then buy another license that validates that license, then catch fish and put them back in the lake.

The secession stunt succeeded in grabbing the world's attention.

Jana is our Manitoba moderator...I thought she'd get it.

It all looks like a rather beautiful place that I'd like to visit....(Now I'll go check out Digin's raai-raai)

First level of focus: We are on the border between New Brunswick and Maine....is that right?

The Haskell Free Library: on the border in Derby Line,Vermont, or , if you wish Stanstead, Quebec........gotcha!!

More here

Edited by Harry

Digin,

the wife and I have been studying the lay of the land in that area with a view to a summer holiday trip to the "Eastern Townships" or whatever they call that "English" enclave.

Harry, well done! I in fact researched it for the same reasons you did. My inlaws have given us a generous gift of a holiday cruise up the St. Lawrence with them from Kingston to Quebec in the Fall. We will be accompanying them and we were planning the drive back to Toronto, and the Haskell Library came up.

Digin,

In my professional job I have to search for patents on the internet daily. There are about 32 Million of them out there. So one learns to search pretty quickly. So I got it by searching using the info you provided. However, my wife had told me that there was this town that had the border go down the middle of the street, and I knew she was looking at the Eastern Townships. 2 plus 2 makes 64!

RAAI-RAAI : 9

Kan darem nie weerstaan om hier my stuiwer ook in die armbeurs in te gooi nie:

Kom ons kyk hóé berese is julle klomp. Waar is dié gebou en wat is sy storie?

Leidrade:

• Iemand het hier gebly ... maar nie meer nie
  • Dis in Kanada.
  • Dis oppie haai vlak.
  • Dit het 'n baie interessante maar tragiese geskiedenis.

raairaai9.jpg

Dis oppie haai vlak
.....is dit 'n spelfout of 'n clue!? Bedoel jy dit staan op die blote ope vlakte?

Is die persoon "nog altyd daar"!?...soos in is nooit werklik weg nie :)

Edited by Harry

Neewat Hendie, ek gee op. Siende ek was nog nooit by so 'n plek nie, kan ek dit onmoontlik nie uitwerk van die clues wat jy gee nie. Dis net eenvoudig nie genoeg clues nie. I surrender. :)

Hendie, you are going to give us a hint. I notice there is a statue in the garden with what looks like wreaths around it - is this building linked to any of the World Wars?

If Harry, the Google King can't get it - it sure must be hard.