RAAI-RAAI

Hendie

Iv seen the pic elsewhere so I wont guess and let the others have a go. However it is always good to see surf.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hendie

• Pierre

• digin

• Harry

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pierre,

you are right, the picture has been posted before. But , I have temporarily removed the important information from that posting!! I'm nasty that way ;) I think you know the answer, though!

Shaun,

Prince Edward Island.....nooooooooo! However, if the geography causing this phenomenon occurred in the Bay of Fundy, which is known for its immense tides, the effect would be truly scary!

Which way do you believe the water is flowing in the picture? To the left or to the right? You have stopped JUST short of answering that one straight out.

It IS a tidal phenomenon allright, but not related to spring tide as such. That's why I asked: "How many times in thirty days does it flow form right to left?". If it were spring tide, the number would be different.

If Nixon's firstname was Dick, what would the "Charles" clue mean?

I hope this helps!

P.S. I have to go run some errands..so I'll be gone for some three hours.

Edited by Harry

Ok its a tidal phenom so its at the coast.

You say its flowing from right to left during this phenom, so I take it that is the way it is flowing at the present time in the picture.

If it were a standing wave the water would be flowing from left to right.

If it were a tidal bore then the water infront of the guy would be flowing towards him (left to right), with the white water behind him flowing from right to left (pushing him along).

I think you are trying to catch every one out here, including me, with this water flow thing you got going.

The guy is "surfing" the wake created by one of the ferrys or barges in your area and the photo was taken from the craft creating the wake.

or

have I just gone and confused it all now?

The frequency (per day) I guess would be dayly because the ferry can only sail at either high tide, because there is a sand bar in its way, or low tide, because it can't get under a bridge or some over head obstruction at high tide.

or

I am totally off track here!!

OK , I'm back....so let's see!:

It is definitely a kind of tidal effect, so it is NEAR the coast : CORRECT...but after that you lose it in your latest post......You were originally on the right track about shallow water and standing waves.

Would it help if I told you that it is not really a river, and that, for practical purposes, you may assume it is basically all seawater, but it is not at the open sea? ( There, now I've actually given it all away) ;)

I never said it flowed from right to left during this phenomenon...I just asked which way the water is going!.

My words were: "How many times in thirty days does it flow from right to left?". You were in fact on the right track originally. I think the sheer scale of the thing is the problem.....it blew me away when I saw it.

In this picture, thousands of tons of water are moving in one direction only! Which way is that in the picture? A different way of asking the question would be..."is the surfer moving forward from right to left in the picture...or standing still in the water...or moving backwards?" If the answer were obvious, I would not be asking the question.

I must tell you that I had never before seen anything like this in my life for the sheer force of water and the volume of it ( we-e-e-ell...possibly Niagra). We had to walk a few miles to ge there. A very high power boat is hanging still in the water, just out of view in this picture, running at serious revs to do that.

There are no ferries and no barges and no wakes involved....just Mother Nature all by herself.

The word I am looking for, is the Indian word for this kind of thing.

Edited by Harry

Ok, let me try -

Situated on the Sunshine Coast (BC), nearest town, either Earls Cove or Saltery Lake, the phenomenen is called skookumchuck. This happens due to the ebbing and flowing tides of the Sechelt and Jervis Inlets creating a whirlpool effect. At the change of tide as the flow of saltwater switches, the direction and power of the rapids reverse. I am however not sure how often the tides change, but I would guess daily.

So how did I do? ;)

Very interesting!!!!!

You got me! I give up.

BINGO!! 10 out of 10 for Heleen!...except I believe the phenomenon is not anything to do with whirlpool effects.

Shaun, take a look at the BC coast near Sechelt. Just north of it is a little "hamlet" called Egmont. Twice a day the sea has to fill and drain the Sechelt Inlet, The Salmon Inlet and the Narrows inlet. When the tide comes in, millions of tons of water has to make its way from the sea past this point, FROM LEFT TO RIGHT IN THE PICTURE, to fill these water basins. A while later it all has to get out again and flows in the opposite direction. This happens twice a day.

So the answers to the questions are:

Which way is the water flowing?:

Left to right..the tide is coming in...the kayak surfer is standing deadstill in the water on a standing wave breaker.

How many times in thirty days does the water flow from right to left?

60 times ( twice a day..two tides!)

Near which town is it?:

Any one of Saltery Bay, Earl's Cove, Egmont etc...Sechelt is the biggest place around there.

CHECKED AGAINST THE CLUES:

1. The water does this more than once a month : Yeah! Up to sixty times!

2. It sometimes goes in the opposite direction!! Sure! When the tide goes out twice a day.

3. The place is a kind of "Charles". Not the town....the Place or Phenomenon "Chuck" for "Charles" just like "Dick" for "Richard"

4. In the Chinook language it means “strong”-“water”...as you can see. Skookumchuck.

5. In BC, there is a town with this name in South Eastern BC. It is NOT the nearest town. Skookumchuck, about 44 km north of Cranbrook

6. There is a First Nations band of the same name. They are not near this place. The Skookumchuck Band :See Here

7. The sun shines more in the region of the nearest town than in Vancouver. The Sunshine Coast

8. Oh Yes!....I should tell you......it is NOT in South Africa No comment! ;)

The amount of water that goes past this spot at the peak of the tidal change is really scary! It is an enormously long walk (about 4km) if you have granny with you, like we did. At the particular spot in the water there are indeed submerged rocks making the water shallower and creating Shaun's standing waves by his explanation.

If anyone visits the Sunshine Coast, reserve time for this lot. It is worth it. Just check your tide tables. The following picture gives a little bit more perspective. If I had posted this one at the beginning, Shaun would have got it way too easily!

skook2.jpg

Lots of energy (wave power) to be catured if one could harness it. Has anybody looked into the possibilities?

NICE Harry NICE!!!!

Its almost a mixture of my two theories!

Check out "pororoca" on google.

You learn things on this forum everyday.

Well here's one from me....

You can see what it is, so where was the pic taken and where do the items come from.

Edited by Pierre

A shot from the hip...Jasper?

I could almost swear I saw a display like that there.

Edited by Harry

Not Jasper. Iv been there but did not see something similar. There are lots of curio shops there though.

Iv seen some of these crystals before but not this size.

It is in Canada though.

You also find the stuff in South Africa in small versions.

What about Thunder Bay? I thought they had amethyst mines there? Is it not the stone of Ontario?

I see some turquoise in the picture...these are often a big deal to the First Nations folks...especially south of the border near the Grand Canyon...but I guess the centre piece is the amethyst, so I stay with Thunder Bay.

Edited by Harry

It may well come from Thunder Bay. But there are also many other sites for "rockhounds".The photo was taken in Ontario.

I was surprised to find this in Canada. Iv seen some amethyst crystals at Augrabies and other large quarts in Namibia.

A civil engineer told me that Canada has just as much mineral riches as SA but it is not mined. Probably the temperatures or cost make it not worth while. We know about gold mining, coal, iron, even radium, and off course oil up here and elsewhere in canada.

I thought someone may recognise this particular exhibit becaue it is unique. It caught my eye anyway.

Amethyst grows inside "rocks" unlike other crystals. Probably surrounded by molten SiO2

This one is very expensive. Who would pay $5000 for a crystal. So it must be pretty unique.

Here is a

link to some of the many semi precious stones and crystals found in Ontario.

Canada is indeed a country rich in natural resourses.

This amethyst below comes from Thunder Bay

Edited by Pierre

Pierre,

my interest in this stuff comes form having professionally grown crystals under contract. As I recall silica melts somewhere just above 1700C. Amethyst certainly has to be crystallising out of the molten silica ( or silica mixed with someting else), as I have some difficulty figuring out what it would dissolve in. I guess it forms under high pressure and temperature deep in the Earth, by growing inwards from the inside surface of gas bubbles in molten silica..otherwise I cannot figure it out. All the ones I have ever seen have been these enclosed cells that have to be broken open to reveal the crystals.

I guess in SA it so dry that one can often see the minerals in the rocks. In Canada you have to remove endless trees or ice to see stuff.

It seems the amethyst is indeed the stone of Ontario. Here is an extract from a website

[The club is affiliated with the Central Canadian Federation Soci-ety which in March 1977, voted for Amethyst to be the offi cial stone of Ontario. That year, Brantford’s Centennial, five of our club members went to Thunder Bay to claim “The Rolling Stone”, a large piece of Amethyst mined at Thunder Bay.]

Here is another extract to highlight Canada's minerals:

[Canada was still very young in 1903 when the government built a railway up through the Northern Ontario wilderness. The Temiskaming and Northern Ontario Line was supposed to exploit for the southern regions the vast timber wealth around New Liskeard and Haileybury. It did that, but the railway is more famous for a chance discovery made during its construction.

At Mileage 103, the new railroad uncovered rich deposits of silver. Word spread fast, and soon a mining town called Cobalt sprang up at the site. Silver Street was the obvious choice when Cobalters needed a name for the main route through town.

Almost exactly 100 years later, a little street called Tourmaline Court debuted almost 500 kilometers south of where the T&NO struck silver. The municipal government in the Toronto suburb of Mississauga approved the name for a new street in March 2003.

In the century that spanned the naming of Silver Street and Tourmaline Court, hundreds of other streets with names culled from geology turned up in every nook and cranny of Ontario. Examples are everywhere in the province at the heart of the Canadian Shield.

Sudbury, a three-hour car ride southwest of North Bay on the other side of Lake Nippissing, wears its character on its sleeve. Nickel Street runs southwest on the outskirts of town near the Inco and Falconbridge mines that produce a quarter of the world's nickel. Other green signs at Sudbury intersections are inscribed with names like Copper Street, Gold Street, Granite Street, Serpentine Street, and Zinc Street.

Only Sudbury rivals another Ontario city for sheer number of geology streets. At least seven streets in Chatham-Kent, near Windsor, have mineral names. There is Diamond Street, Zircon Place, Jasper Avenue, and other streets named after Opal, Turquoise, Emerald, and even Pearl.

The story is that Chatham-Kent's gemstone streets are a play on the discovery made by Carroll F. Chatham. Chatham was the American scientist who in 1938 discovered a way to grow emeralds in a laboratory. The company he started now sells artificially cultivated opals, emeralds, sapphires, rubies, and diamonds.]

So the list goes on and on... :-)

On the theme of street name... I wonder where Jasper got it's name from....??? i.e. the town in the rockies.

According to my search... since I stated getting interested in this topic of minerals in Canada after I posted the pic...lol... I found out that amethyst is mined in only two places in Canada. The one is in Amethyst Cove, Kings Co, Nova Scotia, and the other place is Thunder Bay.

It is also found in one place in Finland and about 15 places in the USA.

Ek het gedink iemand van Ontario sou weet die amethyst is by Niagra falls afgeneem in 'n bekende gift shop - ek was onder die indruk dat dit van daar rond af kom.

Eers het ek gedink dit is ingevoer uit SA. Maar dat dit in Kanada gemyn is was 'n verrassing.

I'm very surprised no-one here has mentioned the Rock Shop in Banff - it's in the main street and has dozens and dozens of specimens like the one on the photograph - several much larger (cleaved halves) of virtually every conceivable colour. One that I particularly remember was just inside the shop's door and stood over 1 metre high. It's a virtual treasure trove for any "mineral enthusiast) like Sean & I are (we have a purple coloured one, white crusted with a span of about 20 cm in diameter - picked up in Douglas, N.Cape). The shop in Banff also has the biggest selection / collection of precious and semi-precious rocks that I have even seen in any one place together - a true "pit-stop" when in that incredibly beautiful region.

Elizabeth.

Elizabeth, it sounds like rocks in the rockies ... :huh:

Did you take any pix of it perhaps?

No Pierre - at that stage I did not know about this great Forum and took 4 spools of pics of other stuff - but I have vowed to return to Banff and Lake Louise and the Columbia Ice Field in the near future and THEN I will take the pics. I sent the only info I'd brought back on this marvellous shop, to my uncle back in SA who is a geologist with Transhex (and who taught both of us the love of rocks & stuff). Banff has untold pleasures for the eye but this shop has stayed in my memories. I hope you can get there some day - it's a "gem" - pun intended.

Liesbet :huh:

We will be going to Banff in summer. So far we've been there every year at different times. I'll have a look. There is a lot se see and do around Banff, so we have not exactly been shopping around except for food...lol

Here is a pic of Banff as well as a view from the ski slope towards the town

JuliainBanff.JPG

Banfffromskiresort.JPG

Edited by Pierre

RAAI-RAAI : 7..Pierre had No 6!

a. What is the name of the place beyond the cars in the picture?

b. Which direction is the camera pointing..north, south, east or west?

c. Where else is there a similar crazy situation in Canada or the contiguous USA?..This is THE REAL QUESTION

school.jpg

CLUES for [a] and :

1. The kids who live there, have to go through another country by bus to get to school every day.

2. The road ends shortly after the point in the picture.

3. Despite its name, it is NOT named after a Boer War General..but after the friend of a ship's captain!

NEW CLUE: The captain's ship was called the Discovery

4. The street scenes for the movie Jumanji were shot very near here, up the road behind my back

The area near the place in [c] looks like this....

school2.jpg

CLUES for [c]

5. A Frenchman built a fort there in 1732

6. At the time it was the furthest northwest settlement by white men in North America

7. It is many hundreds of miles from the place in [a] and

8. In 1998 this place wanted to secede and join another country!!

9. The indigenous people in that area are Chippewa...more particularly, Ojibwe

10. It is great Walleye country

[New Clue]11. In this case the kids don't need to go through another country, because they have a school there

Oh yes.! Pierre, I was supposed to say that this time you can feel free to take a shot. :cry:

You've got me searching based on the clues.... this is one way of getting a saturday evening taken care of instead of watching boring tv...lol

:cry: was taken towards the west at 4.30 in the afternoon in fall.

a) it looks like a lake behind the trees - perhaps lake superior or similar

The second pic looks like Ontario in fall, along the st Lawrence

In Niagra, I suspect children may cross the border to get to a school, especially in one of the islands in the river - chippewa is near there...

Im still working on your other clues.