Sign in to follow this  
spanner

Flyfishing

spanner

Hello everyone,

The flyfishing season should be beginning soon and I`m aching to fish some of the beautiful rivers here in Quebec. If anyone living in the montreal or greater montreal region enjoys flyfishing and knows some of the local rivers I`m willing to buy petrol,beer or whatever it takes to tag along. I don`t have a car so I can`t do it alone...

I`ve tried finding a Quebecois buddy to fish with but to no avail. Im starting to feel desperate.

Thanks

Tom

spanner

No one <_<

redeye

If you were in Alberta.....

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

The link I posted also takes you to an online community of fly anglers... :blink:

http://flyangler.ca/forum/index.php?act=home

When you get your own car, the license plate should read:

GNE FSHG

<_<

spanner

Ingrid, thanks for the links. The discussion forum is really enlightening, I'm going to post a lonesome fisherman thread there soon.

Redeye, don't make me weep brother, I'm aware that there are some incredible rivers further West and one day...

Island Life

redeye, for those of us in AB, please tell more!

redeye

Hi Kevin

I am not familiar with the AB situation other than my immediate surroundings (Calgary and Canmore). There is a rumour doing the rounds that the Bow River is one the best fly-fishing spots in the world. It's certainly the most scenic I've ever experienced. Back in SA I used to fish in the Dullstroom/Belfast area and the going's certainly very different here. Personally I fish with a 6-weight Orvis & weight-forward floating line around here, whilst in SA it was almost always 7-weight sinking (although I have had some success with old SA-sourced Mrs Simpsons and Hamils Killers that I still have in my fly-box). Currently I use waders only, but am thinking of getting a float tube or pontoon this year.

The best stretch of Bow for plenty and large trout is downstream of Calgary from about Highway 22X and south, and you can easily fish this with waders; easiest time of year is mid-June to late July but fishing is possible almost all-year round. For me it's a long drive through Calgary though, as we are all the way in the city's North-West. Since we got our place in the mountains I tend to focus on the Bow River and local lakes (such as Quarry Lake in Canmore; about 15 minutes walk from our place) around Canmore and area. Unfortunately the fishing is not as good as downstream of Calgary.

Do you fly fish? I would imagine that the Caribbean is not a mecca for this...