Port Elizabeth: Coffee Club, 21st March 2007

Cathy

Hi guys

Come along and join the next Coffee club meeting Wednesday (Public Holiday), 21 March @ 12:30 PM, The Dros, Brookes Hill Pavilion.

We will have a visitor from Canada joining us so this is a chance to get a first hand answer to some of your questions.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello to our Port Elizabeth folk, just a reminder about our Coffee Club Meeting on Wednesday, 21 March @ 12:30 PM – The Dros, Brookes Hill Pavilion, Marine Drive, Humewood . We will have Canadian a guest to answer those immigration questions, so invite any people you know are still in the process of deciding to immigrate and those waiting.

Our agenda will be the usual, sit back, share and enjoy each others company.

:holy: Regards,

Hello to our Port Elizabeth folk, just a reminder about our Coffee Club Meeting on Wednesday, 21 March @ 12:30 PM – The Dros, Brookes Hill Pavilion, Marine Drive, Humewood . We will have Canadian a guest to answer those immigration questions, so invite any people you know are still in the process of deciding to immigrate and those waiting.

Our agenda will be the usual, sit back, share and enjoy each others company.

Lawrence we have not forgotten. :D Is it possible to forget something as important as our PE coffee club!!! :D See you guys there!!!

Lemmer family

We will have a visitor from Canada joining us so this is a chance to get a first hand answer to some of your questions.

Yup that "we" had indeed, a visitor from Canada, and a great time. What is wrong with this picture, are we the backwater of SA Canada? Cape Town has their own host, why must we be hosted from accros the water?

The way I see it, we have two choices; get our own host, or change this coffee club to a Dom Pedro club. I therefore propose Lawrence, one of our clubs founder members as the honourable host for the P.E. coffee club. Do I have a second???

Hear Hear ... Oom Dee I second that nomination! From the shenanigans around the table today I would have to agree that the Dom Pedro or even Frangelica Club would be more apt!

Yup that "we" had indeed, a visitor from Canada, and a great time. What is wrong with this picture, are we the backwater of SA Canada? Cape Town has their own host, why must we be hosted from accros the water?

The way I see it, we have two choices; get our own host, or change this coffee club to a Dom Pedro club. I therefore propose Lawrence, one of our clubs founder members as the honourable host for the P.E. coffee club. Do I have a second???

We had another memorable Port Elizabeth Coffee Club Meeting this afternoon and we thank Selwyn and his Canadian guest Chuck for attending, sharing and answering all our questions.

;) Oom Dee they call it Coffee Club on remote control from across the big pond. As for the proposed name change, you must remember Dom Pedro with Frangelica (Double tot, thank you very much) Club (My maat maar die ding smaak lekker).

Thanks for putting forward the vote of confidence; it is a pleasure serving the Port Elizabeth Whatever Club and its members.

;) Kind Regards,

Edited by Lawrence

Coffee Club on remote control from across the big pond

Sorry guys you had not started a new thread for yesterday's meeting so I thought I was helping by giving it it's own clear topic. You can start your own thread any time you want. I'm just here, across the pond, to lend an ear if you need it.

Tell us more about the shenanigans did you find it useful to have somebody to chat to that had personal experiences of the move?

I'm just here, across the pond, to lend an ear if you need it.

YAY!! So does that mean that Lawrence can officially become PE's Coffee Club host?. We look forward to his "title" been added. :cry:

Cathy it is always good to share with someone who has experience in the country you plan to call home.

Our coffee club, as you know, is full of witty, wonderful people with a great sense of humour. We never have a dull moment and the laughter and conversations flow. I guess PE is not called the friendly city for nothing. ;)

I totally want to be at the NEXT one, they sound like way too much fun!!!

As the name suggests, one would expect a coffee club to be dedicated to the rich, smouldering drink otherwise known as coffee. Unseemly as it may be, not one member of the PE coffee club even contemplated sipping on the golden liquid.

So if this “Coffee Club” is not compelled to rush into public, pyjama’s and slippers not so firmly in place, braving freezing winter conditions and mad consumer rush to attain this Canadian birth right, why do they gather?

The answer to that question is pending, but while we wait, perhaps some history on the club’s activities. I’m sure many of the readers here are quiet keen on getting behind the scenes. A friendly bunch such as ourselves are always looked up to for guidance.

The most recent of our gatherings was a jovial affair, with two special guest members hailing from Canada.

I do recall at one stage being told I’d make an excellent barmaid. While my aspirations are somewhat higher, I am told I will make a killing. Some may find the notion of spending every evening in a bar enjoyable, I however am hoping Canada has much more to offer. As those who know me well know, I don’t like drunk people.

Thinking back, I can’t really be sure what it is we do. It is possible that we create voodoo dolls and worship monk like bottles. Or is it we drink the liquid of the monks? Ah yes, that’s it. We drink monk juice. Frangelico.

We have a Ghost as well. As it goes with ghosts, he is rarely associated with the effects, even though he is the cause. Having this spiritual being amongst us adds to the spine chilling experience that is PE. Friendships made are sure to haunt me for the rest of my natural born life.

Yes, I know you are waiting with baited breath for the results, but alas, nothing. It seems to be there is no purpose and therefore the club is devoid of meaning. Some would go so far as to question the existence of this club, Ghost and all.

But, reason or no, the PE coffee club exists. It is filled with much laughter and enjoyment and so long as the frangelico is still around, I don’t see this club disappearing into and endless, dark void of nothingness.

Lawrence,

As Head Drinker of your Frangelico Club, would it be possible to grant CharlVS and myself some rights to visit you guys in the middle of May? We are going on holiday during that time in PE (His old home town). Do you guys have a Frangelico Get Together then? We would love to party with you guys... uhm... drink coffee! We have a lot to learn from you guys about drinking... uhm...I mean consuming coffee! Yea... that's it... consuming coffee!

Edited by Dedré

Lawrence,

As Head Drinker of your Frangelico Club, would it be possible to grant CharlVS and myself some rights to visit you guys in the middle of May? We are going on holiday during that time in PE (His old home town). Do you guys have a Frangelico Get Together then? We would love to party with you guys... uhm... drink coffee! We have a lot to learn from you guys about drinking... uhm...I mean consuming coffee! Yea... that's it... consuming coffee!

Dedré you and your Hubbie are more than welcome to visit our haunt and share of our monk liquid delight that contributes to making our gatherings such a jolly affair. Such is the enjoyment that we share at our gatherings that we voted at our last meeting to gather every month.

Our last meeting was indeed interesting as every member of our haunt had a slur from one of our esteemed guests, a true South African tradition from one that had one tot of tipple too much. The esteemed member of our group had his identity mistaken for that of Cape Malay decent, not that we look down on these folk but every member of our haunt in entitled to have his heritage respected. This esteemed member even had his Canadian family insulted as tower dwelling folk. We were also informed that only tower dwellers reside in certain parts of Ontario. Another member with high aspirations for their move to Canada was told that the best Canada have to offer in employment is that of barmaid.

It was suggested to the wife of one of our founder members that she could gain quicker entry into Canada by being loose and marrying a rich Canadian Batchelor. Our esteemed guest advised our medical trained member of our group that he should rather drive taxi than try and find employment in his field of expertise. Indeed, it would appear that the country called Canada across the big pond where we all seek to start a new life holds many challenges. It would also appear that those that have graced its lands have not learned much from their newly adopted country.

:) Kind Regards,

Excellently put Lawrence, but I must extend my gratitude towards the authentically born, and raised, Canadian that graced us with his presence.

The seed of doubt so newly placed into my being from hearing I may be no more than a barmaid seems like a tiny matter in comparision to the cause this young man so bravely fought. His protestations against animal abuse was filled with compassionate fervour. He would not back down! It brought tears to my eyes to hear of the shock therapy collar used on a defenseless animal. Dogs were born to BARK! Taking this natural birthright from them by electrocution...<sniff> unseemly :)

And this was not all!

No, like a knight in shining armour he fought bravely for the plight against derogative terminology so often attached to the fairer gender of our society. No woman would be called "loose" on his watch!

And it is with this note, I extend my great pleasure of having his company for those few hours.

;)

Hmmmmm

Curiouser and curiouser...

I think I should tell my folks to attend the next meeting and make some sense of it all...

By the way, Prospective Canadian, when you learned about shock therapy for the dogs, did you also learn about the practice of caging the poor animals for hours each day lest they dirty their owners furniture ?

Andy

Edited by Andy & Yvonne

Harry, didn't know you are from PE? That is a true asset in life!

Yes, I'm niskurag too! Darn... looks like the monk juice flowed so freely the Kuier Keepers locked the secret deep in some dark cupboard or dusty old chest...? Almost like the dusty cupboards at CIC hey? Who knows what happens between those 4 walls... we are ALL in the dark.

Lawrence,

How did your planning look for the month of May? CharlVS has planned for us to be in PE around 17,18 & 19 May? Have you set a date yet for May? Oh, I hope we are not too late for the May Get Together! I'll be writing my exam for Financial Management II on the 15th, so I would look for some of your fluids afterwards... hope the team will be charged up by then?

Where are they anyway? Have all the secrets been locked in David Jones' chest? Will one of them not tell? Who was the Canadian visitor? I guess he was someones imaginary purple dinosaur? :huh::D Darn, hope he held his monk juice well? :D The thought of a fat purple dinosaur dancing on the tables, stripteasing...ugh... it just scares me. :lol: ... anyway... back to reality...

Andy, I think chaperoning might do this group well... just send the parents AFTER we attended... uhm... don't want to miss out on anything...

Edited by Dedré

Indeed :lol: Young Prospective Canadian I did forget to mention the good deed of our gallant young charmer from Canada. It would appear that this distant country we call Canada have citizens that believe in humility and good manners.

Dedré the date for our May Coffee Club Meeting has not been set and we will gladly set aside 19 May to meet with you and Charles. Not to worry, us friendly Port Elizabeth folk will not swear you to secrecy about the goings on at our meetings, our monk juice will take care of that.

Harry this visitor we refer to hails from our shores and is now a resident of Canada. It would appear that he was overcome with PC and after one too many shots of the liquid that makes us wise he had to spurt out his inner feelings. Honesty spoken from the wise is welcome, perceived honesty from the bottle not.

:huh: Regards,

"Honesty spoken from the wise is welcome, perceived honesty from the bottle not."

Only made more amusing that even though I wasn't there I heard a play by play of the evening's events... really wish I'd been there... Are there coffee clubs in Canada for those who've made it through the immigration gauntlet? (guess I should peruse the site before asking what is probably a doff question.. but oh well... feel free to enlighten me :huh:) I propose that the PE coffee club move to Ontario.. hehe you guys have WAY too much fun to not come share it!! (yeah I'm selfishly claiming you guys for myself Mwahahaha)

It certainly seems like has to have been there to make any sense of anything above. It has all the nuances of an inside joke that is lost on an audience.

SO, I'll rather just go have some coffee, and worry only if folks in PE tell me there is something to worry about.

What we certainly do NOT need under the banner of SACanada, is some wise-:huh: immature bottle-artist sprouting cr#p to people who are facing one of the most difficult things in their lives.

Thank you Lawrence, we look forward to meeting up with you guys. You need anything from Cape Town, like cold sea water, just yell. What time and where will you guys meet up?

Dedré we will meet on 19 May at 12:30 PM at the Dros, Brookes Hill Pavilion, Humewood. :) We are expecting a few new members and look forward to meeting and sharing with you and Charles. B) Come as you are, leave converted.

B) Regards,

It certainly seems like has to have been there to make any sense of anything above. It has all the nuances of an inside joke that is lost on an audience.

SO, I'll rather just go have some coffee, and worry only if folks in PE tell me there is something to worry about.

What we certainly do NOT need under the banner of SACanada, is some wise-:censored: immature bottle-artist sprouting cr#p to people who are facing one of the most difficult things in their lives.

Harry the last paragraph of your post is spot on the money. I will PM you the details.

• 2 weeks later...

Many have pondered the ongoings of the PE coffee club. The sacred juice of monk which is consumed by those in attendance has been wildly sought after. With awe and wonder, small snippets shall now be revealed. Do not view these images lightly. Much debating has gone into the decision which brings this evidence forth from a dark and secret vault.

And please, view with reverence, the juice of the monks.

THE HANDING OVER OF FRANGELICO AS A SYMBOL OF CLUB UNITY

Frangelico2.jpg

THE MAKING OF THE REVERED DOM PEDRO

DSCF0007.jpg

THE SACRED MONK JUICE

Frangelicocopy.jpg

I see the recipe called for a tot of cream in a tub of monk juice! Needless to say no one could find the hidden Easter Eggs around the house. Never before have a group of South African's revered, with such jubilation, the lashing our Proteas suffered this past weekend! Goes to show how a bit (or overdose) of monk juice can turn even the worst occasion into a celebration! So start drinking from the sacred goblet - the three years wait for PR will be filled with fond memories, if any!