Sign in to follow this  
Harry

Daylight Savings Time and all that stuff

Harry

Daylight Savings Time and all that stuff

Since we get this question every now and then, I thought I'd put up this info here. You can get more specific detail HERE:

Daylight Saving Time in Canada begins at 2:00 a.m. local time on the first Sunday in April. On the last Sunday in October areas on Daylight Saving Time return to Standard Time at 2:00 a.m. The names in each time zone change along with Daylight Saving Time. Eastern Standard Time (EST) becomes Eastern Daylight Time (EDT), and so forth. Some areas of Canada not using Daylight Saving Time include, Fort St. John, Charlie Lake, Taylor and Dawson Creek in British Columbia ( the part of BC otherside the Rockies), Creston in the East Kootenays, and most of Saskatchewan (except Denare Beach and Creighton).

NOTE: In 2007 Daylight Saving Time will begin three weeks earlier on the second Sunday in March and end on the first Sunday in November. Currently Daylight Saving Time starts on the first Sunday in April and ends on the last Sunday in October. This pattern will be followed by all provinces which observe daylight saving time and each province is amending their legislation to reflect this change.

This change in Daylight Saving Time will keep Canada's Daylight Saving Time pattern consistent with the United States which enacted into law a broad energy bill that will extend Daylight Saving Time in the same manner.

Canada uses six primary time zones. From east to west they are Newfoundland Time Zone ( 1/2-hour shift), Atlantic Time Zone, Eastern Time, Central Time Zone, Mountain Time Zone, and the Pacific Time Zone.

When we are NOT in Daylight Savings Time, South Africa is TEN hours removed from BC...otherwise NINE hours during Daylight Savings Time. That would be SEVEN and SIX respectively for Toronto.

Pierre

Daylight savings does not make any sense where I live. But we follow it of course.

If we could save some daylight from the summer and add it onto winter, that would be just great!

Matisse
Some areas of Canada not using Daylight Saving Time include, Fort St. John, Charlie Lake, Taylor and Dawson Creek in British Columbia ( the part of BC otherside the Rockies), Creston in the East Kootenays, and most of Saskatchewan (except Denare Beach and Creighton).

I still find it so odd that these areas are not on daylight saving time.

Can you imagine staying in Denare Beach or Creighton in Saskatchewan, and visiting a neighbouring town? ;)

KateyLee

It was so dark when I got home this evening. It made me feel like my day was even LONGER than it really was ;)

Harry

Matisse,

just for fun, take note that the Dawson Creek - Fort St John corridor (the part of BC behind the mountains and on the same plain as Alberta) is in Alberta's time zone. SO, I believe that means that, in winter, when there is no daylight savings time, they are an hour "ahead of BC" ( when it is 8am in the rest of BC, it is 9am in Dawson Creek. However, during ( summer) daylight savings time, they stay the same way, but everone else in BC gets up an hour earlier....so we then all have the same time in BC.

This means they are using Pacific (Daylight Savings) time in Summer and regular Mountain time in winter. Their lives are way more intertwined with Alberta than with BC. Form a BC perpsective, they are "way-'n gone over there "beyond the forests and mountains. From an Alberta perspective, they're just up the road from Grand Prairie....but Alberta cannot have them ;)

Merida

This is a pertinent quote regarding daylight savings:

blanket.jpg

• Like 1