Sign in to follow this  
Guest Barbara

Nando's restaurant being built in Calgary

Springbok

For those of you who are fans of Nando's (and I certainly am one), I noticed last week that a Nando's is being built in what used to be a Pizza Hut in a plaza on 32nd Avenue and 34th Street NE. It's in the same plaza as a Sobey's and a London Drugs, just north of Sunridge Mall.

I couldn't see an opening date, just a number to fax if you wanted to work there. Part of me wanted to go bang on the door and beg for a 1/4 chicken with spicy rice. :rolleyes:

Also, I just checked, and there's no information on the Nando's Canada website:

http://www.nandoscanada.com

Klaasvaakie

sweeeeeeeeet!

lol, just yesterday I met an Indian named Nando, made me think of Nando's chicken, I told him that, he told me there is nando's in Vancounver

Merv

Anybody feel like forming a (extended) partnership to establish a Nando's in Oakville? No idea what they cost but I bet it is plenty.

Charles

Here's the breakdown Merv.

The following cost breakdown itemizes the capital investment. The largest expense is the building of the facility (the leaseholds) and the cost will vary with each store depending on size, configuration and condition of the premises. Nando's, with the assistance of the franchisee, identifies an ideal location and negotiates the lease and arranges the contractor.

A typical unit is approximately 1800 - 2,000 square feet with up to 55 seats inside and a patio wherever permitted.

Franchise Fee $ 35,000

Construction 190,000

Equipment 130,000

Furniture 20,000

Dishes & small wares 18,000

Signage 10,000

Inventory 6,000

Opening expenses 15,000

Approximate costs $ 424,000

In addition there will be initial expenses including rent and utility deposits, professional fees, promotional and marketing costs and pre-opening staff wages. We therefore suggest the franchisee have approximately $35,000 in working capital.

Mind you there is a large Portuguese community in Oakville as well so there would be two communities that might form a steady clientele.

Hmmm..........thinks.....

Alwyn

Somebody in SA told me that here the Franchise owns the building and you rent it from them.

Is that correct? (I'm referring to franchises like KFC, Mc's, etc where the building is part of the brand image.

I guess the good thing about a franchise in Canada is that you don't need to have a BEE (Must be pretty empowered already to be a franchisee) partner.

Anyone by any chance know where I can get information about SA franchises? Specifically things like costs, success rate, partnership restrictions for different franchises.

Merv

THanks Charles for the info, one word, "OUCH" :D . THey say 35k in working capital, does that mean they would arrange finance for the rest?

(Trouble is I may eat all the profits :D )

Raoulb
THanks Charles for the info, one word, "OUCH" :D . THey say 35k in working capital, does that mean they would arrange finance for the rest?

(Trouble is I may eat all the profits :D )

Another good thing is it is Halaal , attract a larger audience as well. My boss is a muslim and loves Nandos. Defintely a market for it here in Canada ... Especially so diverse

Alwyn

What about Jollibee in Canada? Seeing that there are many Filipino's around the world...

Adele

I can ask the owner of the Nando's Franchise when they are planning on opening the store in Alberta. He is a subscriber of the SAVancouver Newsletter.

Springbok
I can ask the owner of the Nando's Franchise when they are planning on opening the store in Alberta. He is a subscriber of the SAVancouver Newsletter.

Please do! I have called there a couple of times but no one picks up. I may sleep in front of the door the night before it opens! :)

Adele

I have sent an email and await the reply....

Charles

I'm not quite sure whether they finance the building and contents initially or not Merv.

I guess we need to get th emoney together and approach them.

Or maybe we need to approach them and then get the money together? :D

I agree that a Nando's in the Oakville Burlington area would be a worthwhile proposition though.

Springbok

The message on the answering machine now says that they are hoping Nando's will be open the week of November 14.

Adele

The owner is away for another week and will let me know when he returns on Monday. There may be a message on the machine before I hear from my contact.

Springbok

I forgot to follow up. The Nando's opened the last week of November, and I went there with my girlfriend and a couple of other friends a week later. It was just as good as I remember it from Cape Town!

I've been there a couple of times since, and each time I've been there, the servers have been friendly and the food has been awesome. If you're looking for a taste of SA, head on up to 32nd/32nd NE and enjoy.

A picture outside the restaurant(my girlfriend asked, "Why don't you ever look that happy when you visit me?"):

nando.jpg

edit: resized photo

Edited by Springbok

debbieD

They would build it after we move away from Calgary! :) Happy for ya all there, though! :D There are a couple of Nando's in Vancouver, and one day we will make a pilgrimage to one of them. Or, on a trip to Calgary, whichever comes first. :D

Adele

This will be advertised in my next Newsletter, but the scoop is that Abbotsford now has a Nando's.

"Nando's, the South African restaurant group famous for its flame-grilled

peri-peri chicken, is now open in Abbotsford! Nando's Abbotsford, the 12th

Nando's in BC, is a beautiful restaurant with an equally beautiful view

located at the corner of Gladwin Road and S. Fraser Way. Check it out today.

It's an experi-peri-ence you won't forget!

If you don't live or work in Abbotsford, you can still get Nando’s delicious

flame-grilled chicken somewhere near you. Nando's has restaurant locations

all over the lower mainland, so just click www.nandoscanada.com to find the

one closest to you.

Nando's flame-grilled chicken is healthier than fried or rotisserie chicken,

and it tastes much better too! Sink your teeth into Nando's today. Your

taste buds will love you for it!"

Guest Barbara

After talking about it for ages we had Nandos for dinner tnight. It was great, we really enjoyed it.

Also bought some Peri Peri while we were there.

PierreJvR

:D

Not feeling like making dinner, I suggested to the wife that we go and get a taste of 'home'. So we drove cross town to go to Nando's last night. We must've gone to a diffrent one than the other folks here, because it was probably the worst casual dining meal out I've had in my life.

The staff were all friendly. Some where obviously very very new to the job, because they didn't know how to change an order etc.

The food on the other hand... that's a completely different story. Now, we're not huge eaters, well maybe I do enjoy my food a bit too much once in a while, but we've come to expect a decent portion size when dining out casually. We usually end up with a take-home baggy for my work lunch the next day.

My wife ordered a half-chicken with baked potato, to share with the little one and have at least some take-home leftovers for a late nght snack for the two of us. Well the potato was dry and overdone, didn't have any fixings other than a small dollop of sour cream on it (none were offered). And if what she had on her plate was a half-chicken, then I think the whole chicken wasn't much bigger than a pigeon. The 'breast' was only one thin piece of dried meat, no thicker than 1/4" and no bigger than a $5 folded in half, if that. It all fit on a plate only barely larger than a side-plate. For the 'bargain' price of $11.99+GST!

I had the peri-plate consisting of: supposedly a quarter chicken (leg and thigh), kebab and 4 wings with peri-fries. I say 'supposedly a quarter chicken' because it must've been cut from the same baby chick as my wife's half-chicken. I've had chicken wings bigger than that leg! Oh yes, the wings, no bigger than my thumb and I don't have the biggest hands in the world either. The only fairly decent portion was the kebab. The fries were barely warmer than room temp, with only the top ones covered by a thick layer of peri-peri salt. Once again, for the 'bargain' price of $12.49+GST.

We both had meduim peri-peri for our chicken. It didn't taste like anything, barely could taste that there were any spicing at all.

The fountain pop was watered down for $1.89+GST/each. Probably so they can afford the unlimited refills.

All-in-all the bill came to $29.96 for two people. Now maybe I've been away from SA too long, but isn't Nando's more fast-food than sit-down restaurant? At those prices and with those portion sizes? This was the first and last time that we'll go there and I WON'T recommend it to anyone!

Yes, I'm bitter and feel completely ripped-off. Even some of the staff agreed that it's the smallest chickens they've seen served anywhere. And apparently the prices may be going up sometime soon too.

We should've stopped at the Swiss Chalet we passed on our way and ate there. We probably would've spend only half as much for twice as much food and it would've tasted better.

Never again! :hug:

Edited by PierreJvR

Merv
We should've stopped at the Swiss Chalet we passed on our way and ate there. We probably would've spend only half as much for twice as much food and it would've tasted better.

Yeah you get great value at Swiss Chalet, especially when you are confused and tired. We are in the midst of moving to our new place, On Sunday we were doing the U-Haul thing with my wife, son one of his friends and the girlfriend. Anyway, comes around to suppertime and we are all tired and hungry. My wife dispatched our son to SC to pick up some food. He came back and started unpacking all the food. No Chicken! Looed at the receipt, yup, chicken was on there. 2 x picnic packs with salad, fries etc. Should have been two chickens with that lot. Anyway, my wifer called them up straight away to tell them, they responded with "no way, that's impossbile etc". My wife stood her ground and said well everything else is here but no chicken. "Come on back" said they apologising profusely. Off wne son and friend, came back about 10 minutes later laughing fit to bust. When they got back to the house and reached into theback seat to briung in the food they realised the chicken was there all the time, so we ended up with 4 chickens and all the other stuff for 4 people. We called them back to apologise and they said, don't worry about it, as long as we enjoyed it and hope to see us again.

Still munching on leftovers tonight :D

Adele

Pierre, I would suggest writing head office in Richmond, BC. They want to hear about store managers that are not making clients happy.

I have always had great service and when I have not, always contacted head office, who have gone above and beyond to keep my business.