Sign in to follow this  
Hendie

Citizenship Timeline

Dedré

Hanlie, congratulations. It is awesome news.

pretor

My timeline:

Submitted application 20 August 2008. Satisfied the Residency requirement but was about 28 days short on the Physical Presence requirement. Attached an explanatory note to my application.

Received Acknowledgment of application and Study Guide in November 2008

Received a request for additional information to determine my ties with Canada in early March 2009. Because of my Physical Presence shortfall my application had to be evaluated by a Citizenship Judge.

Submitted the additional information package at the end of March.

Received my Notice to Appear for my Citizenship test today, dated 21 August 2009 (1 year after submitting my application..). Test date is set for 22 September 2009.

Yay!

Tokkie B

Congrats! :lol:

Liz

Congratulations! You're almost there!

Dedré

Whooohooo! Congratulations!!!!

Island Life
Submitted application 20 August 2008. Satisfied the Residency requirement but was about 28 days short on the Physical Presence requirement. Attached an explanatory note to my application. Received Acknowledgment of application and Study Guide in November 2008

Congratulations Pretor!

I'm not clear on this - from the timeline you quote, you say that the physical presence period was 28 days short, but in the intervening time between August and the first contact back in November you would have made up that shortfall, and more, so why was it necessary to go to a Citizenship judge? If you had waited for another 28 days to satisfy the physical presence requirement before submitting your application, would the process have been speeded up somewhat? I may find myself in that same position, so I am interested to know.

pretor
Congratulations Pretor!

I'm not clear on this - from the timeline you quote, you say that the physical presence period was 28 days short, but in the intervening time between August and the first contact back in November you would have made up that shortfall, and more, so why was it necessary to go to a Citizenship judge? If you had waited for another 28 days to satisfy the physical presence requirement before submitting your application, would the process have been speeded up somewhat? I may find myself in that same position, so I am interested to know.

Thank you, thank you!

Island Life, my story is as follows: I arrived in Canada in August 2004 and left end of January 2005. I returned to Canada in March 2006 and has been here ever since. Now, the Citizenship eligibility rules state the following:

1. you have to have PR status for at least 1095 days before lodging your citizenship application

2. you have to be Physically Present in Canada for at least 1095 days in the 4 year prior to lodging your application

When I applied (I signed and dated my application form on 5 August) I obviously had no problem with the 1095 days of Permanent Residence status because I became a PR on 5 August 2004. However, due to my travellings, I was 28 days short on the Physical Presence criterion in the 4 years prior to lodging my application. If I had waited for a further 28 days to satisfy that criterion I would've lost the Physical Presence credits I accumulated from 5 August 2004 until 31 December 2004 and I would only have been eligible to apply somewhere in February of 2009, effectively delaying my application date by about 5.5 months. So I figured I'll take the chance, the risk was losing $100 of the $200 application fee and perhaps a longer wait (I figured if they were going to reject the application it would happen right at the start of the process). Of course I submitted a comprehensive letter with my application in which I explained the situation.

I fully agree with your assessment that the period between lodging my application and CIC requesting further information in March 2009 wiped out the 28 days shortfall. I'm sure they saw it the same way but "Rules are Rules" eh?

It might've lengthened the process but not dramatically so. My wife applied at the end of July 2008 and in her case there were no issues with Physical Presence. She became a citizen in June of this year, 11 months (almost to the day) after submitting her application. I deduce that I'll have my ceremony, most likely, in November. So, mine will be 15 months instead of her 11 (if I make the test of course :lol: )

Edited by pretor

Island Life

OK, I see why you had to do that. Thanks for the detailed explanation. It does surprise me that it takes so long after meeting the 1095 days requirement before a person gets a date to actually write the citizenship test and then attend the ceremony to become a citizen (more than a year later in your case). To my mind, a person should be able to book the test date during the 1095 days, and then be eligible to write the test on day 1096 or the first available date soon after that. I've read the rules as well, so agree with Rule 2 above, and your pronouncement that "rules are rules", but in this case they don't make sense (am I allowed to say that)! I wonder what would happen if the applicant left Canada in this time - would they have to fly back to write the citizenship test or could they write it in an embassy abroad, or risk losing their PR altogether due to it expiring .....

djb

According to the CIC website the timeline is getting quite long so a year seems to be status quo. We are approaching our 1095 days of PR but will need to wait a couple of months to account for travel, so we're expecting we should get to the ceremony around the end of 2010 (all things being equal, that is :rolleyes: )

pretor

So, wrote the Citizenship test yesterday and passed. The test official corrected (marked) the test immediately after I handed it in (a full 4 minutes after we started....). It's a bit of a joke, really. It's multiple choice and the choices are worded in such a way that the correct answers are immediately obvious. However, I was quite thorough in my preparations - worked through the book twice and did a number of the on-line practice tests.

Hoping to have "the ceremony" towards the end of October.

Dedré

Congratulations. :cry:

djb

Hey Guys

Well we are finally in position to get our citizenship app rolling, 3 years plus a few weeks margin after arriving. It looks like the process is currently around the year to 15 month mark, more waiting, eh?

What is the general thought about retaining SA citizenship... advantage/disadvantages?

pretor
So, wrote the Citizenship test yesterday and passed. The test official corrected (marked) the test immediately after I handed it in (a full 4 minutes after we started....). It's a bit of a joke, really. It's multiple choice and the choices are worded in such a way that the correct answers are immediately obvious. However, I was quite thorough in my preparations - worked through the book twice and did a number of the on-line practice tests.

Hoping to have "the ceremony" towards the end of October.

So, my invitation to appear for the Citizenship Ceremony was waiting in my mailbox this evening. The ceremony will take place on 7 December, about 16 months after I submitted the application.

I will not be keeping my SA citizenship - I did not apply for permission from SA to keep it so, according to the SA citizenship act I lose it by default. Ho-hum...

Cathy

djb

I haven't really looked at the advantages and disadvantages but will be applying for dual citizenship. It is one piece of bureaucracy and $25 each but once done it is for life. I just felt that if something changes in the Canadian law and it becomes necessary I can revoke my SA citizenship. You have to jump through more hoops to get your SA citizenship back, including physical presence in SA, if you don't apply to hold dual citizenship.

So, my invitation to appear for the Citizenship Ceremony was waiting in my mailbox this evening. The ceremony will take place on 7 December, about 16 months after I submitted the application.

I will not be keeping my SA citizenship - I did not apply for permission from SA to keep it so, according to the SA citizenship act I lose it by default. Ho-hum...

Congratulations Pretor.

pretor
Congratulations Pretor.

Thanks Lawrence. It's a good feeling and it opens up many new opportunities!

Dedré

Congratulations Pretor and djb. :P

pretor
Congratulations Pretor and djb. :)

Thanks Dedre.

I became a Canadian Citizen on 7 December at 14:10. There were 119 new Canadians at the ceremony. It was an emotional experience. It was an interesting experience to pledge allegiance to ol' Queen Lizzie and her offspring (I'm a boertjie, you know :) ). It signifies the end of a journey that started many moons ago. The journey had its ups and its downs, like any journey. Am I happy that I started the journey and invested all it required to complete it? You bet!!

My work colleagues presented me with a huge cake decorated with a South African and a Canadian flag. I pointed out that I'm no longer a SA citizen, so we proceeded to eat the half covered by the SA flag :). All in all, a very positive and moving experience!

Heinrich

Congratulations Pretor. Isn't it great to be treated and welcomed so well by one's fellow Canadians!

Dedré

That is so awesome. I'm so impressed with how Canadians make it all so special. At hubby's work they announce it over e-mail to everyone. I like the cake idea more. Congratulations to our newest Canadian Citizen. I am truly happy for you guys.

Cathy

Yesterday I sent all our citizenship application papers in. So the clock has started to tick on the next phase of our Canadian journey.

It took me about a week to make sure that I had all the papers and the photographs and the signatures. Signing on Walmart photographic paper is not easy so I ended up having to have one set re-done.

What do they use those photographs for?

Rolé

Cathy, you get a citizenship card with your picture on it.

Good luck and hope you hear from them soon!

Cathy

Thanks Role. Now I'm upset that I had to look so serious. My citizenship card should have a picture of me beaming from ear to ear. ;):D

Rolé

You should see my picture! Luckily I can put the card away in a safe place and I don't have to show it to everyone.

Hendie

No true. There is no law that will deprive you of your ZA citizenship due to not officially applying for dual citizenship. You retain your South African citizenship by default.