Sign in to follow this  
Hendie

Citizenship Timeline

Guest Guest again

It seem the process in Calgary is very slow, I applied for Citizenship since last may, and now we are end of January, and I didn't Take my exam yet, and I don't know when?!!!

Every time I call the stupid call center, they react with more stupid answer than before!

for the last 4 months, every time I call, they respond that the Calgary office will send the letter of the exam at the end of the current month, and guess what in a few days they will give me the same answer for Feb 2004.!!

It seem like Ambiguous process, No Quality, No professionalism, No regards to the applicant status, and plans.

Does any one know how can I get my real application Status?

Note: I already contact my local MP, and I am planning to send a message to the Immigration Minister

Hendie

Be patient Guest again! (for goodness sake at least put a name in that makes some sense!) We waited 10 months to write the exam, you're only at 8 months now. And yes, Calgary does seem to take a little longer. But what is your haste? You've waited all this time to get here, you've gone through the trauma of immigrating, settling in ... what's a few more months more to wait?

Patience! ;):whistling:

Lorrett

Guest again, If you go to; www.cic.gc.ca and click on "On-line Services" in the blue banner at the top you will be able to find out what is going on in your file (to a certain point). This also applies for people who have applied for their PR cards. Good luck, we are also waiting. <_

debbieD

Yeah, we're also waiting. I wouldn't bother phoning the Call Centre - the process takes the time it takes, and there is no rushing bureaocracy (sp?). ;) We applied Aug. 2003 and our status at present (as seen on the CIC website) is In Process, however, they do state that our papers are at the Calgary office, and that we will be informed by letter what the next step is. I don't expect to hear from them for at least another 2 months. ;) Hendie is right, we're here now, and this is the final process of our long immigration. It will sure be nice to travel to the States without needing a visa. Hope we're citizens before the summer hols - will visit my daughter in Florida and maybe we can take a trip to SA. Who knows, 'eh! :whistling:

Harry

For what it is worth, we applied on about 6 or 10 September 2003 in (I guess) Vancouver.

So I phoned the SA High Commission in Ottawa in the last 90 minutes...after unsuccessfully negotiating their automated system a first time, I tried again....got a lady with a french accent who put me through to another lady with a rather prettier French accent ( I do so love it! ;) ).

I explained that we had applied to retain SA citizenship before applying for Canadian, but now the Canadian government wants us to write the exam...therefore I need to know our SA application status.

"You giv mi ze name, pleez"

I spelt the surname

Instantly ( I mean instantly!!) the answer came back: "Ah yez, ze fammillIE of forgh, noh?"

"That's correct" (apprehension ;) )

" Ah, yez...I did zat vun myselff...vun of yooh iz okay...ze grandmuzzer, noh?"

(Harry's heart does a double flip :( and then rights itself...a control my breathing :huh: ...and try again ;) )

"What can you tell me about the rest?" :( ( great dread in heart)

"I phoned ze Deparghtment of ze Home AffAIrghs end zey said iz OK...ze papErghs iz coming. I sink you can rghite ze exam sir, it iz no prghobLEMM"

"senk you...I mean, Thank You very much...Merci Beaucoup"

"It is ze pleassuurgh, have ze nice day"

I think I had better stay out of Quebec...I am going to get into trouble. :wub::holy::whistling:

Edited by Harry

Guest Guest Again

I do agree with you all, and I thank you all for the response, The reason behind my frustration , is I found really a life opportunity in different city and even some in the states, and I don't want to apply for these till I finalize the citizenship process, and even I want to travel to see my family and I don't want to receive the notice while I am a way.

:blink:

I know that I should be more patient, but If I know that End of this year my process will end, that will be great, at least I can plan a lot of stuff based on this solid fact, but to leave you hanging between a 2 months to 12 month possibility ; that's a killer.

For example, when they send the notice , they said it will take 8-10 months

on their Automated system, some time they say At least 10 month other time they say from 10-12 months

When you call the Call center they say at least 1 year

When you talk to Calgary office they says 1 to 2 years!!!

forgive my impatient attitude, but if we live in Colalmbour or North pole were you deal with couple of Polar bear or Penguin you get more consistent and more standardized answer that CIC

:huh:

:unsure:

Guest colleen

nft

Edited by colleen

Guest Guest Again

Thanks Collen,

:blink:

I think I will follow that path, and be more patient.

just thinking of it again, I say wow, I went all of this trouble (over 14 years) to get the canadian status, and now I have to wait for only 4 months, that I think the core reason of making me nervus

:huh:

thanks again for the support and the advise :unsure:

Hendie

Good show Guest Again (do you have a name?), that's the spirit! :unsure:

javatizer

hi,

Based on the fact, that this cool place and the people are nice, I decided to register in this forum.

Specially Henidie and collen

Thanks Again

formerly : Guest Again

:o

Harry

As I mentioned earlier, we are writing our citizenship test on Tuesday morning, 17 February 2004, in Vancouver.

Obviously we have been "studying" for this lot. However, I thought I'd have some fun with my colleagues at work and so I asked them some of the questions.

So far, one or two of them picked Fredericton correctly as the capital of New Brunswick. That is a province that really seriously has to do something about its visibility...it does not register on any "radar screens". Even PEI hits it off with potatoes.

One sort of got the capital of Nunavut, which is Iqaluit, but spelled it very strangely. Very few got 1867 for the "formation" of Canada and not a single one thought that shipbuilding was an issue for the early settlers. No-one got the sequence of "incorporation" of provinces right. Pretty much everyone was confused as to whether the Inuit are seen as First Nations or not. The training booklet has them as Aboriginal but not First Nations.

None that I asked knew the names of their politicians, except for Gordon Campbell, Paul Martin, Jean Chretien and Adrienne Clarkson.

I think, what I have found, is that most Canadians in BC would not make it through the citizenship exam.

I should point out that this was NOT a scientific poll!

ALSO:

The thought has occurred to me that:

The First Nations are deemed Aboriginal by the book

The Inuit are deemed Aboriginal by the book, but they are not called First Nations

The book ( VERY oddly) lists the Meti as Aboriginal, which I certainly cannot understand

So, what do you call folks here that are NOT Aboriginal, NOT Meti, NOT First Nations and NOT Inuit.

....or am I scratching where there is no itch!? :ph34r:

javatizer

Finally,

I have a letter from the immigration, that say my exam will be April 20th , which is almost 11 months from the day that I apply.

Talk to your MP, Guaranteed result,

;)

Hendie

Way to go Javatizer! Now your're in the home stretch!

Harry

Good luck with the exam, Javatizer!

We did it on 17 February 2004 and it was no big deal.

Yesterday that was a month ago.

Using Hendie's timeline, I reckon we'll hear from them on 17 April that we shoudl come to the ceremony on 17 May...here's hoping.

javatizer

Thanks all,

I am now studing some material from here and there, there is actually a software from www.74tech.com

Called Canadian Citizenship Test 1.3 for jan-feb 2003.

it contain arround 197 questions and answer. it's really good.

all of them is multi choise questions, do that, and read Look at Canada and some local info from the library(Who's your mp, your ...etc although i know they will not ask these questions ;)

Harry

HMMM...Motion again! :o

Yesterday a nice lady from the Canadian Government offices phoned to ask what help our hearing disabled son would need during the Citizenship Swearing-in ceremony. Unfortunately they did not say what date that would be. We conclude that it means we passed the test ;):lol:

Last time they phoned like this, the paperwork arrived in more or less the same week.

By the Hendie Calgary timeline, we wrote exams on 17 Feb 2004, so I expected the letter on 17 April 2004. We received the call instead on 31 March 2004. Again, by the Hendie timeline, I expect to be a citizen somewhere just BEFORE 17 May 2004.

Patience, Harry....patience!

Guest Daz

Thanks for your update Harry.

I am also in Vancouver and completed the citizenship test a week after you (Feb 23).

I will be following your expeience with interest, as I should be scheduled for the oath taking one week after you. Perhaps we may even be at the same ceremony?

Good luck - and keep posting as will I. :lol:

Harry

HMMM...Motion again! :D

On Tuesday 13 April we received letters from the South African Government at our address here in Vancouver. They are granting us double citizenship. There were two forms. One form covers the dual citizenship stating that we'll retain SA citizenship when we get Canadian citizenship. The other covers the use of passports and has a 5 year time limit to the exemption. I still have to go read what these acts actually say. The second one has the regular stuff about using the Canadian passport for entering and leaving Canada and the SA one for SA.

One of the sets of forms was already signed in SA on August 2003!!!

The younger three family members' forms were signed in SA on 3 February 2004!

The Charge D'Affaires ( Msimane) at the High Commission for RSA in Ottawa signed the one liner cover letter on 25 March 2004 and we received it in the mail on 13 April 2004.

Now we wait for the Canadian letters to advise us of the citizenship ceremony. By the Hendie timeline they should arrive this week or next week. Here's hoping.

Hendie

Thanks for that posting Harry, we haven't had anyone tell us how the double citizenship things pans out in the end. And good luck on the citizenship ceremony.

... and what about a timeline, like I did?

Harry

Hendie,

your timeline has been pretty good so far. I did not think I could improve on it...but I'll take a look. It seems as though our process so far has run faster than what some folks elsewhere have been experiencing.

debbieD

When did you send your papers into Immigration, Harry? We sent ours in last year, and it arrived at their office on August 7. We got our confirmation letter around October 20, so I am hoping to hear about writing the exam soon. <_

Harry

Canadian Citizenship Timeline:

Step 1: Submitted application forms to Canadian Government......6-10 September 2003

Step 2: Acknowledgement of receipt by Canadian Government.....26 September 2003

Step 3: Canadian Gvt phones to ask if our son will need hearing assistance on 17 Feb citizenship test......28 January 2004

Step 4: Letter from Canadian Gvt informing us of citizenship test on 17 February.........3-4 February 2004

Step 5: Write Citizenship Test........17 February 2004

Step 6: Canadian Gvt phones to ask if our son needs hearing assitance for citizenship ceremony....30 March 2004

Step 7: Receive letter from Canadian Government advising of of Citizenship ceremony.... (19 April 2004)

Step 8: Citizenship ceremony and application for passports.............. (28 April 2004)

Step 9: Canadian passports arrive at our home by Express Mail........( 6 May 2004)

South African Dual Citizenship Timeline:

Step 1: Submitted request to SA Government for dual citizenship......Middle June 2003

A ten day delay ensued in which they phoned to ask for money. Paid on 26 June 2003

Step 2: Certificates signed in Pretoria :

----------retired family member: 11 August 2003

------------------other members: 3 February 2004 (!!???)

I phoned the High Commission on 29 January and they said that all was OK and that the paperwork was on its way. However, note the signing date above ( LATER)! I believe they lost the paperwork and had to redo. I do not know how else to explain almost 6 months delay followed by a result within 5 days of Ottawa asking the question on my behalf.

LESSON : KEEP PHONING

Step 3: Cover letter for certificates signed in Ottawa .........25 March 2004 ( 7 weeks!!?)

Step 4: Receive final dual citizenship certificates from SA High Commision.........13 April 2004

Edited by Harry

Guest Daz

Thanks for the update Harry. Here is our progress so far:

August 21, 2003 - Application Received by CIC

October 28, 2003 - Processing commences

November 05, 2003 - File transferred to Vancouver

January 30, 2004 - Letter sent for citizenship test on 23 Feb 2004

February 23, 2004 - Test completed

Citizenship ceremony advice - TBA

B)

debbieD

I think 'tis time to phone the call centre and see if there is anything happening with our papers. B)