Sign in to follow this  
Hendie

Citizenship Timeline

Hendie

2003-09%20DijkmanCanadians.jpg

I thought that, for the benefit of those interested, I would post the timeline on our citizenship application. Second to the nail biting waiting period for the approval of the initial immigration application, this is probably the second on the list. So, here goes:

18 July 2002 Downloaded the citizenship application forms off the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

25 September 2002 Ordered Fees Receipt forms from CIC. Yes, it's been two months, I know, but we had to have photos taken, and I didn't realise we had to order these! Do remember to do that the same time that you download the forms!

30 September 2002 Received fees receipt forms from Ottawa.

1 October 2002 Paid the citizenship fees at our bank and got fee receipts stamped.

17 October 2002 Mailed completed citizenship application forms, photographs and fee receipts to Sydney, NS with xpresspost (good idea for tracking).

21 October 2002 Canada Post's tracking facility on the web reports the package delivered.

19 November 2002 Received confirmation that our applications have been received (letter dated November 8th). The letter states that it will take 8-10 months to process our application.

17 December 2002 Got letter back from CIC: On one of the photographs, a signature went off the white area at the bottom of the photo and onto the photo itself. Apparently a no-no.

23 May 2003 Received invite to write citizenship test on June 16th!

16 June 2003 Wrote citizenship test along with Nannette and Rinus, and we all passed!

20 August 2003 Received Notice To Appear - To Take The Oath Of Citizenship for September 18th! The long wait is almost over.

18 September 2003 We are Canadians! ... eh?! The ceremony went well, and now we are Canadians. Funny how it feels almost like an anti-climax after all those years of waiting ...

Well, I guess that's our story. :)

All the best for those of you still at it: Hang in there it's

worth the effort!

Edited by Hendie

debbieD

We will be following this process ourselves within the next month. Hoo boy! I am so excited! :)

Hendie

... and would you relinquish your SA citizenship Debbie?

We are contemplating giving up ours. Mainly because of politics. I have read somewhere that if you get into trouble (get detained or something) in the country of your "other" citizenship, that you cannot knock on the Canadian High Commission door for protection.

Hmmm ....

Hendie

Nico

Hendie & other South Africans

It is worthwhile to note that a new Citizenship Act was tabled this last session of Parliament. The most important intention is to lengthen the period before you can apply for citizenship and "bief up" the residency requirements.

So, those who qualify should get their applications in as soon as possible!!!!

Nico

AdeleJ

So Hendie ... Have you heard anything yet? :D

Hendie

Oops, sorry Adél, just updated the timeline. Yes, we have had progress! :D

debbieD

Good luck with the test next week, Hendie and family. :D

We still haven't applied. Soon, I hope.

miena

Congratualations Hendie and family!

Study the book they send you, they ask names and dates for the history section. We did not go dual, mostly for our kids. We decided that they are Canadian and should have both feet in this country. For us it was a hard decision, me giving up SA and hubby giving up Euro, but I must say I am proud of my new passport, at least it has a picture resembling me here at home. :D

So do study, and let the kids quiz you, they have a lot of fun, since they know much more than you and also let them teach you Oh Canada!, somewhow, by them "teaching and testing"us, they felt part of it..I was very proud of them.. :D

It is an easy decision if you do it un-emotional (long-term benefits, showing your commitment, etc), else... :P

and last but not least, our family in SA was NOT happy with us at all, should anything happen to both of us...well..we clearly stated that we want them (the boys) to stay in Canada, but it is hard. :D

Edited by miena

Merv

OK here's a dumb question, at what point were you asked/requested/told to give up SA citizenship?

I have been a Citizen for 4 years now and have never come across the situation. To be frank, I couldn't give a tinkers about SA citizenship, this is home for me (I have also held a Euro passport for many years), but was wondering about the technicalities (especially if I go back to visit family etc.

If I have never formally relinquished the SA citizenship does that mean I am still one? Or because I have another passport do I automatically give up the SA citizenship?

Nico

The SA Citizenship Act states that if you consider to apply for another country's citizenship, you have to "request permission" before applying.

If you do not ask permission you automatically "loose" your SA citizenship. Question is though - who is going to enforce that section of the Act. If you keep your SA passport valid - nobody will enforce the Act.

The better way yo go is to apply for the "permission" but then they will have your name should they wish to change the act and withdraw your citizenship.

Nico

Guest colleen

nft.

Edited by colleen

miena

Colleen, long story, but the bottom line was that we felt we all had to do it. For us it is a novelty presenting a uniform "bunch"of passports when we travel now, where in the past..well many colours, different visa requirements, enough.. so an emotional rationale rather than a legal one. ;)

We believe and according to our lawyer, that our kids cannot be taken back to SA/America/Europe by anybody as they are Canadian citizens now. That is our wish.

Maybe we are getting off-topic but it is rainy, so Hendie pardon me. ;)

Our family in Quebec still have their Euro, even though they were born here...at one point we stopped discussing the issue: "Is a passport merely a travel document or a foreign identification of where you are from, who and what protects you, etc." You can imagine the debates.......and then my hubby goes and marries a Non-French girl....Phewww :D:ilikeit::D

Edited by miena

Guest Skinny Dip

We will keep our SA citizenship when we apply for Canadian citizenship. If something happens to us, our kids must have the choice to go back to the family in SA. I will never leave my kids with strangers which my family never knows (their Godperant are still living in SA).

Anyway it will be to emotional for us to give up our SA pasports. - still loves SA to much to do that.

Iza

Stompie

Remember to get permission from SA to have dual prior to becoming a Canadian Citizen

Hendie

I have never heard from anybody what the circumstances of the test was like, so for those of you who may be interested to know, here's the scoop:

Our test was scheduled for 10.30 this morning and we arrived there at about 10:10. The tests are done in the Conference Centre of the Harry Hayes building here in Calgary. Something interesting about this centre is that all the conference rooms are named alphabetically. We were in the Kathryn room. As per the letter of notification we each had to have one photo ID with us, as well as our Record of Landing, form IM1000 (newer immigrants have to bring their Permanent Resident card). There was quite a line-up, and the lady who "registered" us noted that it was the biggest group that she had seen to date. At about 10.35, after she had explained all the rules to us (if you fail the follow-up test is verbal, no cheating etc) the test papers were handed out. There are 6 different tests (all different colour paper) and they make sure no-one near you has the same colour. :D The questionaire consists of 20 multiple choice questions, and if you have read the A Look At Canada book, that they send you after receiving your citizenship application, the correct choices are quite evident. Interestingly enough none of the questions involved the names or political parties of local government. Of the 20 questions the last 5 has to be correct in order to pass the test. These involved questions about citizenship rights and responsibilities, but were no more difficult than the first 15. You are given 30 minutes to complete the test, but most were done after 10-15 minutes. When you're done, you are asked to wait outside in the foyer while the examiners mark the papers. After about 15 minutes more, she came out and said everyone in the room had passed, and that we should now allow for 4 to 6 months to expect a invitation letter in the mail to attend the citizenship ceremony.

So ... now the wait is on again! ;)

Oh, a good site to quiz yourself at is at the Richmond Library (note the BC content of some questions).

• Like 1

Stompie

Well done Hendie! When we took the test about 18 months ago they also told us it will be 4-6 months before you receive the summons/invitation, but in fact we received it within 3 weeks and a month later we became citizens.

Jos
... and would you relinquish your SA citizenship Debbie?

We are contemplating giving up ours. Mainly because of politics. I have read somewhere that if you get into trouble (get detained or something) in the country of your "other" citizenship, that you cannot knock on the Canadian High Commission door for protection.

Hmmm ....

Hendie

This discussion is very much along the lines of a paralel discussion on this forum.

Consider this scenario: You have "lost" your SA Citizenship by default when you became a Canadian without informing the SA authorities. On a visit to SA you do something unwittingly wrong and are in need of assistance from the Canadian HC, being a Canadian.

Would the fact that you never officially informed the SA Goverment that you are no longer a SA Citizen still make you a South African in the eyes of the SA authorities, i.e. telling the Canadian HC to back off?

Jos :D

bianca

Hi everybody

I found the following two links for practice tests for citizenship - one is from BC and one from Ontario - hope that helps!

Richmond library test

Toronto Public Library test

:cry:

Charles

The South Africans in Ontario website has all the information necessary to find out about Citizenship at:

http://members.tripod.com/saontario/id63.htm

And all 184 Questions are at :

http://members.tripod.com/saontario/id57.htm:P

You can get the answers from this page as well! the link at the bottom is harder to find than the actual test questions! :huh:

debbieD

Just sent ours in! Now we wait! <_

Ex-Durbs

Baie, baie geluk.

Here hoping you guys get it soon :D

Judy and the rest of the Gang here in Spain

Hendie

Got the invitation to be inducted as Canadian citizens on September 18th! The long wait is almost over!

Kanadagroete

Net 'n vraag?

Daar is 'n moontlikheid dat ek vir ses weke buite Kanada gaan werk en dan net twee weke hier in Kanada gaan wees... Volgens die reëls moet mes te minste 6 maande per jaar in Kanada wees om jou PR-status te behou, maar wat as ek deur 'n Kanadese Maatskappy gestuur word en nog steeds eiendom besit in Kanada. Ons het nog net 'n jaar PR-status, voor dit het ons amper drie jaar maar op werkspermit - blykbaar tel dit vir die helfde, dus is ons so 6 maande weg van drie jaar. Hulle trek egter tye af, wat jy uitdie land was en ons was in die vier jaar ten minste 4 maande nie hier nie. Dus is ons tien maande weg van 'n aansoek vir burgerskap. My vrou gaan in Kanada aanbly en ons dogterjie is hier gebore. Sal hulle werklik my PR-status kanselleer, of kan ek êrens spesiale toestemming kry. Ons het te veel gesukkel om die status te kry en wil dit nie nou verloor nie. Tog gaan ek nie veel van 'n keuse hê om die nuwe werk te aanvaar nie??? Enige hulp sal waardeer word. Ek weet dit is so half "off-the-topic" maar ek dink tog dit sluit daarby aan...

Guest Guest

Ek ken nie al die wette en regulasies nie, so ek is geen ekspert in die veld nie.

Wat ek verstaan is, as jy deur 'n Kanadese firma gestuur word kan die firma 'n motiveering na die relavante regerings department stuur wat die situasie uiteen lê.

Vir interesantsheids halwe, ongeag van hoe lank 'n persoon in die land is, jy kry net 1 jaar krediet vir burgerskap (dit is 'n feit).

AdeleJ

Whoo hoo ... het maandag 'n brief in die pos gekry en skryf volgendy vrydag die 26 ste ons Citizenship toets ... hou maar duim vas julle! :D:lol::D

Lekker dag vir julle die 18de hoor ... ;)

Edited by adeljoone