Sign in to follow this  
KateyLee

50 degrees today?!

KateyLee

Can I just express my happiness about our HOT summer in Toronto?! It is probably an ominous sign of things to come as far as climate change is concerned, but I wish I could bottle some of this to keep with me until January.

Marli

I heard yesterday on the weather channel that today is expected to be the hottest day of the year in Toronto!

Good luck!

Charles

And may I express my hatred of the extreme heat in Toronto?

Those of us who work in factories where the temperature is even higher than whatever th eofficial version is suffer badly. They took one guy to hospital last night on my team.

Marli

I want to ask a favor of you people living in Toronto. I'm collecting photographs of blue skies and since this will be the hottest day of the year, I would like to have a picture of your skies.

The picture has to be of just blue skies - no trees or houses or people - just blue.

It has to be taken with the 'auto' setting of your camera or the setting that you would use for regular outdoor pictures - please no filters.

I prefer the picture to be taken at around 10 AM.

Ah... I forget that most people will probably only read this at the end of the day, so perhaps you could take it some other sunny day?

I want to compare the blue skies of different places around the world. - I know it will not be scientific, but I do it for my own fun!

Thank you - you will find my email address under my profile.

Marli

KateyLee

Charles, don't they give you the day off if it goes above a certain temperature? I heard of other factories sending people home.

I hope you can escape to some where air conditioned for part of the day. I wish I could be enjoying the heat on the patios downtown. But I have a statistics class this afternoon B)

jen1

Well all I can say is, thank goodness for central air conditioning!! How did I ever live in Durban for 29 years? I took the kids and dog for a walk at 7am this morning, and since then have shut myself in the nice cool house! Will stay here till I need to throw something on the BBQ for dinner later.

Karen

I can't wait for Fall!

I hate this heat which hangs in the smoggy air.

I never wanted to live in Durban- like conditions.

I want summer without humidity. I want Vancouver!

Now, watch out for rolling brownouts, Toronto...

jen1

Karen if they turn the power off on us, I am going to have to drive to my brothers and get their "camp cot" so that both the kids can sleep in the basement. my guys get very unhappy if they have to sleep in the heat. Its my one pet peave about the houses here, each floor gets hotter as you go up!!!

johankok

50degrees (Celcius?) is the cutoff for work in the Arabian countries. Not that any temperatures guages in those places ever reach that (max I've seen was around 48 (even though the pilot said that the ground temperature was in the order of 61). -- Then again, who would like to send all their employees home?

Merv

My son was sent home yesterday (along with the rest of his co-workers) at 3:00 pm yesterday. Apparently the temp inside the workshop was registering close to 50

shaun

At 15:39 the building sensors here at work recorded an Out Door Air Temperature of 37,8'C. At 16:33 I see it dipped down to 35.8'C, but now (18:00) it's back up to 37'C and looks like it's still going to climb a bit.

Matisse

According to a news report on local radio, the official high recorded in Toronto was 'only' 36.6 degrees - we didn't break the record of 36.7 degrees. However, with humidity included it actually felt like 46 degrees today.

But we did break a record last night, when the temperature went 'down' to 27 degrees - the previous record low was 25.7 degrees, set on 5 July 1999.

Many years back I attended a friend's marriage in Durban on a day when a new record high was recorded for January - something like 38 degrees, and with humidity I guess it was around 47 degrees. That convinced me that I never want to live in such a place - and just look where I am now! To make it worse, I don't have aircon in my apartment - I must rely on tightly drawn curtains, ceiling fan and floor fan to get through this insanity. :rolleyes:

Edited by Matisse

dieulefit

Ja, tell this to folks who told you "You are moving to a bloody cold country and you are going to freeze to death there!" I miss the lake effect we had in Port Credit - always a breeze. It is a bit different here out in the country! The Farmer's Almanac did predict a hot summer and less rain for this year - I guess they were right, again! Stay 'cool' folks....... we are going to beg for warm weather - pretty soon!

CeeEee

I had a most unique experience :rolleyes: yesterday in our record-breaking temperatures...

My sister-in-law moved from Kitchener Waterloo to London...and my husband took the day off work to lend a hand to his little sis. I obviously went along to help as well.

NEVER in my life have I sweated that much! I was sweating from places that I didn't know could sweat :lol: . We moved her 3-bedroom flat's contents from a NON-airconditioned apartment, into a NON-airconditioned lift, down 9 floors (lift was not on service mode, so it was being shared with cranky and sweaty elderly neighbours), into the back of a roasty-toasty 14-foot U-Haul truck.

Then my husband and I drove the U-Haul all the way to London...and yep, you guessed it...NO aircon in the truck!! The aircon stopped working once we got 2 minutes away from Kitchener.

In London, we unloaded the entire flat into the NON-airconditioned lobby of the new apartment building and hauled it all up 7 floors in the NON-airconditioned lift, then to my sister-in-law's new NON-airconditioned flat!! It was so hot, the floors in the lobby and in the flat were covered in slippery condensation...was like one of those shows you see at the ACC...this one could be called "U-Haul Icecapades".

Can you say heat-stroke?!

We had to fill the bath at the new apartment with cool water to dunk my 11-month old niece in periodically throughout the afternoon. The poor little thing was too hot and wilted to even be cranky about all the rigmarole and lack-of-afternoon-naptime. At least she had her grandma to hang out with and was allowed to toddle around naked.

So at this point, I am not too fond of the weather round these parts. I want my Cape Town weather!!

And Matisse...I feel your pain...my basement flat is also not air-conditioned. And contrary to popular belief...not all basements are cooler than the floors above. Our flat traps hot air and hangs onto it...no through-draft at all. I currently have 2 fans blowing on me from 2 directions. We move the fans around the flat, depending on where we are.

Just thought to share that once-in-a-lifetime experience with you all! At least we can all laugh about it today...now that the dizziness has passed :D .

CeeEee

dieulefit

Cee-Eee, my goodness, me and you were doing the same thing yesterday! I was helping my brother-and sister in law, moving into their new home - container from South Africa arrived and three paid helpers started around 10 am and we were opening boxes and unpacking. They do have a aircon in their new home, but had it off as the doors were all open. I worked in the kitchen and left a sliding doop open and swear the hot wind from outside cooled me off as I was SO wet, that any 'breeze' felt good! We were done with a 20 feet container by 2.30 SHARP! We worked like zombies, but drank a lot of water. I came straight home and took a cool shower. This is unusual for Ontario, really. I listen to what my Canadian friends say and it has been the hottest summer during my 12 years here too. August is always hot and extra humid (dead), but this year we had weeks of this in June and July...... I think we are probably going to pay for it this winter...... lots of snow! Watch the Farmer's Almanac!! ORRRRR, shall we all move to Vancouver?!?!

Marli

This does not sound like much fun to me!! I like hot weather, but this is too extreme for me!

And you're all very welcome to move to Vancouver!! We're back to our regula summer temperatures of around 20 degrees celcius... Our heatwave is but a distant memory in our minds!

KateyLee
So at this point, I am not too fond of the weather round these parts. I want my Cape Town weather!!

Going back to Cape Town this past December and January made me realize that the weather there is not always that perfect. It was so windy for most of the time that I was there that we couldn't really eat outside.

But I love the heat! I think I will miss it if I ever do decide to move away from Toronto one day Summer time should be hot. I really look forward to being able to walk around at midnight without a jersey.

CeeEee

Dieulefit...I have decided (after yesterday's experience), that I will start saving extra money just so my husband and I can afford professional movers once we buy our first home!! And you managed to get things unpacked so quickly!!

Our efforts kept being interrupted by having to share the lift with residents. So for every one trip we did with the filled lift, the superintendent did two regular trips with just residents.So it was a hak-en-tak process! My poor sister-in-law is spending the whole day unpacking alone today, because we only got done moving things by 5pm. And we had to drive all the way from London back to Toronto to return the car we borrowed for this story as soon as possible.

Now Marli...if only you could ever convince my husband of moving to Vancouver...I'll be packed up and ready to move before he finishes saying yes!! I miss the sea so much I can't explain it. And I am an artist...and from what I hear, Vancouver is an artist's paradise with inspiration on all sides.

And all beautiful photo's the Vancouverites on SACanada post make me good and jealous :lol:

And Maya, I know Cape Town's weather isn't always perfect, but jong...yesterday's temperature here was just too crazy for me. Where I lived in Cape Town (Simon's Town)...we have that wind that bothers people so much (I personally love it...I feel it blows people's "muisneste" away :rolleyes: )...but at least it keeps things temperate. And I could have a nice swim in refreshing cold water if it was too hot.

I am now off to the mall to sit in Indigo's for a read and to cool down...the two fans just aren't cutting it!

Happy roasting all

CeeEee

johankok

Maya, Dec/Jan is the worst time possible for Cape Town.... Remember that Feb/March is the best for your next visit.

Charles

Well we hit 51 on tuesday evening in the factory and I still worked a full shift.

Mind you I was drenched and helluva smelly too. Last night was a little better - only 47 or so.......storm helped a bit. Of course we were all praying for a tornado to trip the electricity or rip off the roof.

As I understand it the temp has to reach 40 OUTSIDE before there is a shut down. So when you hit 50 inside...hey no problem.

Matisse

Charles, I'm not sure how you are surviving those temperatures in the factory. They'll definitely carry me out on a stretcher before the shift is over!

Hopefully it means that the factory will not be so cold in winter.

That rain storm last night surely was dramatic. It was the first time since being in Toronto that I heard thunder that resembled the sound of thunder on the Highveld. At least temperatures are now down to more normal levels.

Charles

Well we were very kindly given a free pop on night (mainly because that was the o nly ice cold beverage around - even the water coolers were warm!) and a free ice lolly the next and they cut back from 700 fenders per shift to 699.

But hey look at it this way I get a workout in a sauna and get paid for it.

KateyLee
Maya, Dec/Jan is the worst time possible for Cape Town.... Remember that Feb/March is the best for your next visit.

Yes I know, I did live there for 22 years :lol:

I don't think I'll manage to visit Cape Town at the best time weather wise for quite some time. It is either OUR summer holidays when varsity is out, or for that month over December/January.

Damn school always getting in the way ;)

KateyLee

Apparently it was snowing today, even downtown! I was in class all day so I missed it. Did any of you catch the snow fall?

It is awfully early for that in my mind :)

shaun

Yep Maya, we got snow here in Burlington around 7:00pm. The temp just fell off the scale to about -2'C. Went from around 13'C to 0'C in half an hour.

Oh boy was I ever not prepared for this sudden snap. Haven't even looked at winterizing things outside yes.

Will go see what froze and what is still ok later on this morning.