Sign in to follow this  
Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Celebration of Light!

http://www.hsbccelebrationoflight.com/fireworks/

Event Information

The largest fireworks competition in the world.

2006 Schedule

Wednesday, July 26 — Italy

Saturday, July 29 — China

Wednesday, August 2 — Czech Republic

Saturday, August 5 — Mexico and Celebration Finale

Each show last approximately 25 minutes — August 5 show extends to approximately 30 minutes.

Start time: 10:00 p.m. rain or shine

Best viewing points: English Bay, Kitsilano, Vanier Park, Jericho Beach, West Vancouver. The event is free to watch from public parks and beaches.

Music simulcast begins at 10:00 p.m. on radio station ROCK 101 (101.1 FM).

Estimated annual attendance: 1.4 million people.

Marli

Hi Ingrid

I can definitely recommend this to anyone who happens to be in the area. It is a spectacular event and it is totally free. Many people go much earlier in the day so they can have a nice spot to sit and enjoy the view. Bring your blanket, chairs and picnic basket and make a day of it.

The only thing you have to be aware of is that afterwards 200 000 people want to get home at the same time. Public transport is then a nightmare! We waited 2 hours for a bus last year that was scheduled to come every 15 minutes!

I would advise people who dont live in Downtown to park their cars a few blocks South of Broadway and walk the rest of the distance, otherwise you will get stuck in a serious traffic jam. You could also just wait it out I guess.

But, whatever you do, make an effort to go see this. This is Vancouver at its best!

Edited by Marli

Hi Marli

My family will be going with friends.

I do not enjoy crowds so prefer to stay home and be a couch potato, lol. :ilikeit:

Marli

Ingrid, the Vancouver crowds are the most well behaved crowds you'll ever see in your life! But I guess if you don't like large groups of people, there's not much to be done about that.

I'm going with a bunch of friends at is very nice to have a nice large get together at this spectacular event.

Edited by Marli

Cathy K

Ingrid, the Vancouver crows is the most well behaved

You're fibbing! One of them pooped on Pierre at Stanley Park once! :angry:

(This happens to me all the time, my thoughts are way ahead of my typing fingers........ :lol: )

Cathy K

Edited by Die Kotzé's

Marli

Cathy, I have a terrible habit of not actually checking what I've written... I'm sometimes astounded by the mistakes I make and really should learn to check it! I've fixed the mistakes now. :angry:

Adele

We went down to watch Italy "WOW" the crowds. We got downtown and fortunately had 'reserved parking' thanks to a friend who has family living on 2nd Avenue and Balsam. We walked the last 3 blocks down to the beach area. And then the sea of people hits you. All you could see was hundreds and hundreds of people.

There must have been about 200 thousand all sitting where we had planned to sit.

What struck me most was the calmness, civility, decency, and organization about everyone. Even with some teens drinking and smoking pot, the request to take it elsewhere because of the kids was met with an apology and them moving for us even though it was us, who had arrived after them.

The show was spectacular, albeit very short. It is done to music and several folks around us had radios, so we got to 'hear' it too. Even some of the fireworks had musical sounds to them. Impressive.

Once it was over, I took the youngest to the washroom. There were 10 stalls, indoors, clean, with several toilet paper rolls in each stall. My daughter is extremely picky when it comes to washrooms, and she commented on how clean it was.

We did not see fighting. We did however see police. Groups of them. 10 - 12 in a group walking the beat with large and powerful flashlights search into groups for the drinkers and pot smokers. Drinkers had their alcohol poured out and were arrested. Most without incident. Pot smokers were also arrested. I saw about 8 paddy wagons too.

The most impressive part was that when we left (and we waited about an hour and a half to let the traffic die down) we were most impressed with how clean people left the area we had sat in. I only wished that I could take better shots with my camera. I need lessons on this contraption. Not one photo came out. :angry:

So that was our evening. A most enjoyable time was had by all ages that attended.

I would suggest going if you can.

Ingrid, the Vancouver crows is the most well behaved

You're fibbing! One of them pooped on Pierre at Stanley Park once! :lol:

(This happens to me all the time, my thoughts are way ahead of my typing fingers........ :lol: )

Cathy K

Hahaha...you crack me up Cathy! :lol:

Our oldest son took some video footage for me so I got a glimpse too.

They loved it and reported along the same lines as you, Adele.

I think they're planning to go again on Saturday.

Got to eat some lekker schwarmes too without me! :angry:

Didn't even bring me a doggy bag...

Some photo's (from 2002) : http://www.penmachine.com/photoessays/2002_08_fireworks/