Sign in to follow this  
Tess

Was any one scared before going - and how is it now?

Tess

We are on our way there - 2 families with 4 teens age between 17 and 20. How was it for you guys to go there and finally being there. Was it hard to make friends, not only at school but outside as well.

Marli

Absolutely! I was both scared and excited. Everything seemed to slow down in that last month before leaving. I remember constantly thinking that this is the last time I will go to this shop and the last time i will drive on that road or see these neighbours and their dog. It was very emotional.

I don't have a large family with me, so perhaps it was easier for me? Anyhow, the first year was quite good, I didn't make too many friends though as we moved around a lot and I didn't have a fixed job. The second year was the worst for me since some of my family members back in SA got sick. I'm in the third year now and things are really starting to look up. I understand the rhythm of the city better, and we've made quite a few friends.

You have to go out of your way to make friends with people, but it will happen if you want it to happen.

Please learn from some others on this website. If you truly want to make a success of the immigration, don't give up until you've lived through at least years. The firs 2 (or sometimes more) years are the worst, but it does get better.

Good luck to you! And we'll be there if you need support.

dieulefit

I was so scared that I could not sleep at all for about 2 weeks prior to us leaving South Africa! I would listen to my husband's peaceful snoring and would envy him for being so at peace with our decision. Twelve years have gone by like a dream and today I am very thankful and happy about this move. My children did extremely well, we are living out in the country and we are currently helping our family who just arrived here 2 weeks ago - their children can not believe they can actually stay home alone while we (the adults) are out shopping etc. They left behind a family farm and a tradition of 160 years....... . The children forgot to put two bicycles away the other night and were totally stunned the next morning that both bikes were still on our property! My sister was visiting us recently and her two small boys wanted to know why don't we have a gate to the bedrooms and can they come downstairs in the morning - do I put the alarm off! See, my bedroom is on the main floor and the other bedrooms on the upper floor..... . It really hurt me to think that two little boys, ages 5 and 7, were trained to be aware of security! I constantly remind myself to never get used to the freedom we came to taste again here in Canada. Just this morning my husband and I had an errand to run near the Stratford area - we left around 6 am and took the back roads. So, so beautiful! Everywhere farming communities were waking up and we felt part of them. We had a hearty breakfast at a Mennonite Restaurant and did some shopping at a Home Hardware Store were the Owner wanted to know who we were. (We do some business with them, but someone who is working for us do the dealings and here they were so glad to finally meet us!) Here, small community mentality is still happening in rural towns in Canada and I just love it. People truly care and this was the reason why I just could no longer live in Toronto anymore! I am looking forward to meeting some of you folk I got to know on this Forum, hopefully next week, at Kanasie! To all the newcomers and those who are still considering a move - I believe you will all be happy and prosper in this wonderful country - just come!

jpd

I had been thinking about emigration from SA for many years before it actually happened. However, the only time that I really felt scared, was when I sat down on my seat in an Austrian airlines aircraft having just gone through passport control at Jan Smuts airport. I was then saying to myself, ok that's it now - it has finally happened! Also, the next morning, at Vienna airport, reality also struck me, when I realized that I was embarking on a new life, and that I had left my life in SA behind. That was in spite of the fact that 10 years earlier I had lived for 3 years in the UK.

Then in Canada, I felt scared about my future after 9/11 and after SARS. Shortly before 9/11, the airline that I worked for went belly up, and after 9/11 the industry shed about 150,000 jobs all over North America. And then came SARS that devastated the tourist industry to Canada. But thankfully, that is all in the distant past now.

Guest Barbara

I think it is normal to be scared. When we got on the plane I remember thinking are we crazy, what are we doing ?

But it took a few months here and once we all had work and had found a place to live, things fell into place. We all made friends and now I can truly say it is home.

I think the unknown is always scary for me. Now we just love it here and are so glad we came.

My son and daughter made friends at work. My daughter had a part time job while she was at college and that was how she made her first friends. Later she made friends at college too.

Our friends have also been made mostly at work. We have been here for 2 years I have a lot of expat friends most ex UK. But I also have 4 good Canadian friends.

upington89

i was 8 years old when i moved here and had absolutely no idea what was about to happen.

that being said, canada is an AMAZING place for youth to meet friends. most people are geniuinely interested in south africans that arrive here, and unlike the USA, will introduce themselves to new kids. and that INCLUDES teenagers.

dont worry about a thing, as long as you keep your head up high and approach the whole thing wiht a positive attitude it will work out great.

Lenina

Where r u moving to/from? We have 4 kids and have been living here for 8 years, contact us any time!

Tess

Well for the first month i will be living in fort mcmurray wiht my parents then once my couzin arrives we wil be moving to saskatoon.