Sign in to follow this  
vinceb

Houseboating

vinceb

We flew our kids over for 2 weeks in June and although I would have preferred traveling to show them what Canada had to offer, the consensus opinion was that they wanted to travel as little as possible and we settled for a houseboat holiday for 7 days. We contacted a houseboat rental place at Sicamous and arranged for a houseboat on the Shuswap lake.

th_Annari129.jpg th_Annari177.jpg th_Annari158.jpg

The rental for 7 days was surprisingly affordable, and since we did not go in the holiday season in summer, we ended up paying $1695 for a houseboat that sleeps 10. The tariff goes up to $3,595 in summer holidays and then the per person expenditure becomes $450/person for 7 days, provided that there are 8 people in your party. I would not recommend putting the full complement of 10 people on since the last two have to sleep on a pull out couch in the living room.

I have never been on a houseboat before and was somewhat apprehensive at the thought of maneuvering this large thing in confined spaces and my apprehension was not allayed by the young woman who spent only 15 minutes instructing me in the running of the boat – I knew boats did not have brakes, and remember from my hobiecat days how difficult it was to judge momentum in a boat. My apprehension was not eased by the knowledge that there was a damage deposit of $1500. As it turned out, steering and beaching the houseboat proved to be somewhat easier than I thought, and the only difficult period was when I had to maneuver the boat in the harbour.

The houseboat was surprisingly large and comfortable – which was not surprising given the Canadian insistence on comfort. The sleeping quarters were a little cramped but the living area was large and

th_IMG_0036.jpg th_IMG_0035.jpg th_Annari258.jpg

comfortable. There was a large living room/kitchen/dining area, with a stove, 2 fridges, microwave, a TV, DVD player, a satellite radio/CD player, a fish finding sonar, with a gas fired barbecue on the back deck. There were 2 flush toilets and a hot shower on board. There was a hot tub on the top deck as well as a slide. There was also a furnace and a gas fired fireplace. To add to your comfort there is even a floating store in the lake.

We puttered around for the 7 days and became horribly lazy. We travelled to Salmon Arm - the WiFi internet connection was not working and there were 2 people with laptops onboard - swopped helmsmen, beached nights on rocky and sandy shores, and built fires of driftwood. The surroundings were beautiful; all mountains, green woods and clear blue water. We swam, had long family discussions, had several barbecues, drank wine and generally just relaxed. We rented a seadoo for 2 days and since none of us had ridden one before, we had a blast. I was surprised at the depth of the lake which at one point reached 990ft – on the depth sonar.

th_Annari313.jpg

All too quickly the 7 days were over and we began the trip home.

Eileen

Hi Vinceb,

That looks so cool..mmmm giving me some ideas....may try and do something similar when my kids come over... We would have to do the Swamp and Bayou tour though... :blink: Sounds like you guys had a great time! Thanks for sharing.. Love the pics.

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Enjoyed reading about your vacation, Vince - what a unique way to spend time with one's family/go on holiday.

I can understand why you say you all got lazy - one cannot but relax and have a great time! :blink:

Harry

Vince,

that is seriously interesting. You'll have to say a bit more about how it all works and what one has to do to set it all up.