Sign in to follow this  
Adele

Langley: SA Picnic in the Park and Potjie Competition, Sep 3rd

Adele

A Southern African Picnic in the Park and Potjie Competition

post-433-1147324688.gif

WHAT: END of SUMMER PICNIC Braai's/bbq's can be enjoyed and games can be played by all ages. Whole families and all those singles out there to! Even those South African pets are welcome!

WHEN:September 3rd, 2006 9am - 4pm, or later, once you start to have fun! The park opens at 8AM and it is a first come basis for the tables.

WHERE:Marpole Shelter, Derby Reach, Fort Langley. I will be there earlier to reserve some tables and some grassed areas nearby.

post-433-1147324770.gif

DERBY REACH REGIONAL PARK

Located at the North end of the Township just off 208th street on Allard Crescent. Wander deeply shaded trails, walk fields once farmed by pioneers, fish the Fraser River, or imagine the bustle of a trading post while standing on the site of the first Fort Langley – includes an excellent fishing bar with overnight camping facilities, cycling on the Fort-to-Fort Trail and the Edge Farm Trail, off-leash dog area is provided at Edgewater Bar and horseback riding is permitted on the Houston Trail.

Everyone brings along:

Their own drinks and meat for the bbq and buns.

If you last name starts with A - M bring a salad and N - Z bring a desert for the share table.

Own picnic blanket, sun umbrella and lawn chairs.

This year we have a covered shelter but if you wish to bring along your own gas bottle and braai/skottel feel free to do so.

Don't forget the towels, the games e.g. volleyball, badminton, RUGBY balls etc and for the more energetic, of us, bicycles. ;)

POTJIE COMPETITION

If you wish to participate in the competition, bring along all your paraphanelia, and cook up a storm for the judges. Tasting will take place at 2pm. There will be a prize for the winning potjie.

MORE INFORMATION WILL FOLLOW AS WE GET CLOSER TO THE DATE

Adele

Am looking for sponsors for this event.

Lucky Draw Prizes, Potjie Competition prizes, and the Shelter needs an 'SA NAME' to be sponsored for the day.

We may have to charge a $2 per person fee as the shelter's cost has been prepaid. If a company is willing to sponsor the shelter for advertising purposes, then they can have it as a tax write off.

I may be reached via pm or email from my profile.

Huibre

Weltevrede Wine Estate would love to sponsor wine for the first price for the potjiekos competition. Please email me directly at huibre[at]weltevrede.com. How far is your braai from Calgary?

Huibre Hoff

Bonnievale

Robertson Wine Valley

Weltevrede Wine Estate

Just noticed the braai is in Vancouver and not Alberta. We can see if we can make a plan to get a few bottles to you.

Regards

Huibré Hoff

Weltevrede Wine Estate

Adele

Huibré,

Thank you for your kind offer to donate a prize for this event. I will be in touch with you to discuss the details.

Regarding sales in BC, I do know of a Wine Seller here that may be interested in meeting with you to discuss your wines.

Adele

This email will also be going out to the Subscribers of my newsletter.

Southern African Picnic in the Park and Potjiekos Gourmet Competition

September 3rd, 2006

9:00am - 4:00pm

Directions

This park lies along the Fraser River west of Fort Langley. First-time visitors are advised to travel north on 208th Street (if coming from Highway 1, take the 200th Street exit and cross over to 208th on 88th Avenue) and watch for the green and yellow park entrance signs. The Heritage Area, just beyond Edgewater Bar, provides access to both the Houston Trail and the Fort-to-Fort Trail.

Hope you are ENJOYING the gorgeous weather we have been having. Just a reminder about the Picnic in the Park and all the details you need to know about.

Come RAIN OR SHINE!!! Bring the family and friends and come and enjoy family day filled with lots of fun. Meet new friends. Or if you are you a talented Gourmet Potjiekos Competitor, why not enter to win one of the fabulous prizes? Who knows, maybe you could win one of the prizes too. Make sure not to miss this day!! We have reserved the shelter and there are tables in the surrounding areas which are first come, first serve basis. The park opens at 8am, so get there early if you want a table.

Potjie Competition: PLEASE RSVP IF YOU ARE PARTICIPATING

You will need to provide you own potjie pot, ingredients, talent and love. If you wish to participate, then please contact me so that I can make arrangements for you to have some table space. We hope to get as many people participating in this as possible, so pass this on to everyone who has ever offered you a decent potjie! We will have official Judges. Who are experienced in Judging Potjiekos.

The only stipulation will be that it must be made over the charcoal. No Gas driven potjiekos entrants will be allowed. There will be a fire pit and charcoal will be provided. Families who prefer to 'JUST' barbecue are more than welcome to do so.

Thanks to Hendrik van der Walt for donating the charcoal for the Potjiekos. There will be charcoal for sale at $10.00 per bag. Please call Hendrik at 604-319-1958 to order your 'take home bag' of charcoal or visit his web page at HardCoals

Potjies Pots are available at Out of Africa Trading 604-821-0806 ask for Winston and Safari Pies, ask for Pam (604) 431-7405 or contact them on info(at)safarifoods.com. Safari Pies is also holding their open day on August 19th to celebrate the arrival of their latest container. So get your ingredients fresh from them at 102 - 5777 Beresford Street, Burnaby.

Picnic in the Park - Everyone brings along:

Own drinks and Meat for the BBQ.

If you last name starts with A - M bring a salad and N - Z bring a desert for the share table.

Own picnic blanket, sun umbrella and lawn chairs.

Since we have reserved the shelter we will have charcoal and firewood for the fire pit provided.

Don't forget the towels, the games e.g. volleyball, badminton, RUGBY balls, cricket bats etc

A BIG Thank you to all our SPONSORS: If you wish to be a sponsor, please get in touch with Adele(at)SACanada.org. Thank you to all the below sponsors who have graciously donated prizes for the day.

Nando's, BBQ Buddy, HardCoals, Fairmont Villas Group Company - Lake Okanogan Resort, Adele & Mike Putter, Square Hair, Mary Kay, Cornerstone Gallery

Marthie Nel Music, Bella Image Studio, Enigma, A Spot of Africa, Safari Pies.

RWW(Rhodesians Worldwide) and ourselves have joined together to once again offer this wonderful day of Family, Fun and Friendships. Wendy and Allistair Ball have been hosting events for RWW at Derby Reach for the past 3 years and host events at Christmas too. You can read more here about the Rhodesians World Wide.

update brought to you by the Event's Planning Committee

Contact Adele on 604.575.4042 for any more info

Adele

ATTENTION:

Potjiekos Competitors

Do you think you have what it takes, to pit yourself against other talented chefs? If so, come out and join us for the opportunity to win some fabulous prizes.

For more info, contact me on 604.575.4042.

If you know someone who has served you a delicious potjiekos in the past, encourage them to join us for a fun day in the park.

Adele

If any owners of gazebo's, picnic tables or umbrella's that will be attending the Picnic in the Park, please contact me.

My details are in my profile.

I am also hoping someone with a trailer will contact me....now where is that man with the Venter when you need him?

Adele

TO MAKE THIS YOUR DAY AND A SUCCESS, PLEASE FORWARD THIS ON

Southern African Picnic in the Park and Gourmet Potjiekos Challenge 2006

Sunday, September 3rd, 9am - 4pm

PLEASE SEE UPDATED DETAILS FOR THE DAY!!

RAIN OR SHINE!!!

According to the Weather forecast we should have gorgeous weather for the day. So, bring the family and friends and come and enjoy a fun filled family day!!!

Directions to Derby Reach: located at the North end of the Township just off 208th street on Allard Crescent.The park lies along the Fraser River west of Fort Langley. First-time visitors are advised to travel north on 208th Street (if coming from Highway 1, take the 200th Street exit , turn right on 88th Avenue and left onto 208th). Keep traveling North and watch for the green and yellow park entrance signs. Turn right into Allard Crescent. Park is on your left hand side about 2 kms down the road.

Potjie Competition:

PLEASE RSVP IF YOU ARE PARTICIPATING!!!

Are you a talented Gourmet Potjiekos Competitor? You could win a big prize and prove to all that you are THE Gourmet Champion!

You will need to provide you own potjie pot, ingredients, talent and love. If you wish to participate, then please contact me so that I can make arrangements for you to have some table space. We hope to get as many people participating in this as possible, so pass this on to everyone who has ever offered you a decent potjie! Judging will be done by invited participants and they will each get a taste of individual potjies. There is a criteria list that will be used to assess who will win first, second and third place.

With the dry season happening the GVRD has requested that we keep fires to a minimum and that we use only the fire pit and or gas barbeques. So we can no longer stipulate Charcoal ONLY. PLEASE NOTE: Gas AND Coal prepared potjiekos dishes will be accepted. Please bring your own GAS equipment.The fire pit will have coal and wood provided. Families who prefer to only barbeque are more than welcome to do so.

Potjies Pots are available at Out of Africa Trading 604-821-0806 ask for Winston and at Safari Pies, ask for Pam (604) 431-7405 or contact them on info(at)safarifoods.com. Safari Pies will be selling Biltong, Droewors and Boerewors. Hopefully if you wanted MilkTart or Koeksisters, you ordered them already. They will deliver on the day.

Picnic in the Park

What to bring along:

Own drinks and Meat for the bbq. (gas bbqs, fire pit, wood and coal will be provided). If you last name starts with A - M bring a salad and N - Z bring a desert for the share table.

Own picnic blanket, sun umbrella and lawn chairs. If you have your own picnic table, please bring it along. Although there are tables, it is a first come first serve.

Don't forget the towels and the games e.g. volleyball, badminton, rugby balls, cricket bats etc

Make sure not to miss this day!! I can be contact on Adele(at)SACanada.org or on 778-828-6525

SPONSORS: If you wish to be a sponsor, please get in touch with Adele(at)SACanada.org Apologies if I have missed someone.

Nando's Canada, Barbeque Buddy, HardCoals, Adele & Mike Putter, Out of Africa Trading, Fairmont Villas Group Company - Lake Okanogan Resort, Sunette Jones - Bemberi Marketing, Square Hair, Heather Symes- Mary Kay, Cornerstone Gallery, Glyn Thomas, Marthie Nel Music, Bella Image Studio, Enigma, Minute Man Press (Marine Drive), A Spot of Africa, Safari Pies, Hans Mayer, Ingrid & Eric Hurrel, Duke of Wellington Pub.

Thanks to Nando's, we have reserved the shelter and there are tables in the surrounding areas which are first come, first serve basis. The park opens at 8am, so get there early if you want a table.

We are very happy that RWW(Rhodesians Worldwide) and ourselves have joined together to once again offer this wonderful day of Family, Fun and Friendships. Wendy and Allistair Ball have been hosting events for RWW at Derby Reach for the past 3 years and host events at Christmas too. You can read more here about the Rhodesians World Wide. We felt that joining the 2 communities for this event can only strengthen the Southern African people in Canada!

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Hoping to meet some of you there...! :)

DucRider
Hoping to meet some of you there...! <_<

Adele et al....

I badly sprained my shoulder on Saturday morning, doing something that nobody my age should be doing (suffice to say it involved one of my teenage kids' rollerblades).

It is now Sunday and I am still stationary - believe me, I will henceforth stick to less dangerous pastimes, such as motorcycle racing or skydiving.

I was looking forward to meeting Adele, Harry and other "famous personalities" - so next time I will make sure that nothing bad happens!

-- DucRider

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Ouch! Sounds painful DucRider... <_<

We had a great time. Took some Native American friends along who loved the cultural experience.

Thanks to Adele and Michael who worked very, very hard at getting this event pulled off...lots of "little things" to think of and plan for. You guys did an awesome job and I hope you can fit in some R&R now.

On top of it, it was pretty warm out there today. :) Guess Marli would have loved all the sunshine, lol.

Adele

Hi Ducrider,

<_<:) Sorry to hear about your roller 'past prime' <_< accident. We will meet eventually, as you know I am always organizing something, somewhere!

Ingrid,

Thank you for joining us yesterday and thanks for inviting Ray & Liza. I enjoyed meeting them, but sorry I could not spend more time chatting.

Last night was all about, unpack, bath kids, no one was hungry, except me (too busy to eat much yesterday). Mike and the kids past out very early, but for me, it was "to bed by 11" as I cleaned and packed everything away first. The shower was by far the most enjoyable part and the highlight of the evening, next to finally falling into bed.

Like everyone else, we really enjoyed the day. We met new friends, and will get around to visiting them all for a chat and some coffee.

I can't say this enough though;

THANK YOU, for joining us and making the Picnic in the Park and the Gourmet Potjiekos Challenge 2006 such a success.

Photo's will get loaded shortly.

Nixie
Hi Ducrider,

:unsure::( Sorry to hear about your roller 'past prime' ;) accident. We will meet eventually, as you know I am always organizing something, somewhere!

Ingrid,

Thank you for joining us yesterday and thanks for inviting Ray & Liza. I enjoyed meeting them, but sorry I could not spend more time chatting.

Last night was all about, unpack, bath kids, no one was hungry, except me (too busy to eat much yesterday). Mike and the kids past out very early, but for me, it was "to bed by 11" as I cleaned and packed everything away first. The shower was by far the most enjoyable part and the highlight of the evening, next to finally falling into bed.

Like everyone else, we really enjoyed the day. We met new friends, and will get around to visiting them all for a chat and some coffee.

I can't say this enough though;

THANK YOU, for joining us and making the Picnic in the Park and the Gourmet Potjiekos Challenge 2006 such a success.

Photo's will get loaded shortly.

Thanks Adele and Michael!

You made the event worth every penny ! It turned out to be an awesome day and we all enjoyed it.

Take care,

Nixie, Alex and the crew

Adele

I would like to say a big thank you to everyone for joining us on Sunday. It was a wonderfully HOT and Sunny day. We had just over 150 people that came out to enjoy the day.

We had a wonderful response from the expat Southern African Business Community for the offer to sponsor prizes. I want to Thank those people, (Nixie, Allistair, Brandon, Wesley and many others) that did some begging and pleading on my behalf to get as many prizes in as possible. This was truly a ‘pulling’ together of a community that wanted to enjoy themselves.

I think the nicest surprise came when I announced that Nando’s Chicken – Canada had offered EACH adult a voucher for a quarter chicken. Nando’s Chicken – Canada was our main sponsor and graciously supplied the shelter for us this year. In the past there was always a collection taken at the end to cover the cost of the shelter so no one was out of pocket. But this year and in future years, we plan on having a main sponsor.

post-433-1157517728.jpg

We had over 40 prizes to give away including the main Prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in the Gourmet Potjiekos Challenge 2006. Well as in we are in Canada, and everyone is equal, we actually had 3 x 1st place prizes for this first time Challenge. Although we had few participants, I did get folks asking when the next one would be. The current Champion will have several Challengers for next year. Will he be able to retain his crown? Plan to join us next year to find out! ;)

Mark Poson took first place with his Asian Oxtail Potjie. This earned him a trip for 2 to Lake Okonagan Resort with Spa treatments for two. Thank you Nixie & Alex Kriel for arranging this prize.

post-433-1157518451.jpg

Marc also won the most coveted prize, a hamper from Out of Africa Trading, a dinner voucher to Enigma Restaurant, a CD from Marthie Nel and a “Cooler sleeve”.

post-433-1157518433.jpg

The judges Hendrik Van der Walt, Allistair Ball and Mike Putter seemed to favour the oxtail potjies.

Our second place winner, Rob Hepworth, also made a delicious Oxtail potjie. For his trouble he got a beautiful framed piece of art from Hans Mayer, a voucher from Safari Pies and a “Cooler Sleeve”

post-433-1157518015.jpg

Third Place went to Franshwa Barnard. He made a delicious mild Lamb potjie, and there was only 0.33 points between his dish and Rob’s. He gets to enjoy a T-shirt from Ingrid and Eric Hurrel, a “Cooler Sleeve” and a dinner and drinks voucher for two from The Duke Of Wellington Pub.

post-433-1157518053.jpg

Allistair Ball from Go For Agencies and RWW donated one large and one small Barbeque Buddy and several large bags of charcoal thanks to Hardcoals and Hendrik van der Walt which made some folks truly happy.

We were given 20 Cooler sleeves by Glyn Thomas and as mentioned each Challenger got one and the rest went to the Lucky draw participants.

Other lucky draw sponsors were: (in no particular order)

Sunette Jones - Bemberi Marketing – Gift Certificate

Una Fester - Bella Image Studios – Gift Products

Heather Symes - Mary Kay Cosmetics – Pedicure set

Ingrid and Ray Dye - Square Hair – 2 consultations for Cyber Imaging Styling

Naresh - Minute Man Press – the Welcome Banner

Brian & Bridged Lott - A Spot of Africa – Gift Certificates

The Lee's and Queton's - Out of Africa Trading and Safari Foods

Cornerstone Gallery - Lynn & Beverley Gracie – Gift Certificate

Basil Chokie – Max Subway certificates and coffee vouchers

Freybe’s – Brandon Poson – Gazeboes

Hans Mayer – Framed art work

Marthie Nel – CDs

To Wendy & Allistair Ball from RWW. They were the original and only hosts of the Picnic in the Park for the RWW folks. I approached them and asked if we could 'share' their day as we already share so much in common, they were very gracious about it and so Allistair and Wendy (who is in Cape Town due to family illness) allowed us to join 'forces' and it has proven to be a successful formula. Thank you for being so supportive in your advice, encouragement and time. Without you, this function would not be in existence or have been as much fun as it was.

Finally but most importantly to EVERYONE who attended. Without you forwarding emails, sending out fliers, and advertising the event in your own way, the Picnic in the Park and the Gourmet Potjiekos Challenge 2006 - would not have been the success it was.

Once again, THANK YOU to everyone for their GENEROSITY AND SUPPORT.

:D:D:hug:

Andy & Yvonne

Sorry that we could not be there

looks like fun