Sign in to follow this  
Harry

Parent Sponsoring Timeline

Harry

Parent Sponsoring Timeline

In the past few years, the process of sponsoring parents has become an enormously drawn out process. This is leading to huge and understandable frustrations. As with the Citizenship Timeline, I think there is some merit in having a pinned Timeline thread for Sponsoring a Parent.

So I herewith declare it open. I managed to sponor my own mother, but it was such a crazily quick process back then in 2000/2001, that it has zero value now. So I'd like to suggest that someone who managed to start the process since then, and has completed it, helps us by posting the info here.

P.S. Please don't use this thread to rant about the process....just make another. We'd like to keep this one for posterity and you might not like reading ten years from now what your wrote when you were fedup in 2006.

fatcat

Here is my timeline so far:

Completed sponsorship application, paid application fees as well as ROLF for both my parents. Application received in Mississauga April 2005.

November 2006 - our file has still not been opened.

Anyone else out there with a timeline ?

Ben Jordaan
Here is my timeline so far:

Completed sponsorship application, paid application fees as well as ROLF for both my parents. Application received in Mississauga April 2005.

November 2006 - our file has still not been opened.

Anyone else out there with a timeline ?

We have a sponsorship application which we submitted long time ago - in May 2004. We have tried various things to expedite it (such as letters via the member of Parliament etc) with no effect. During October 2006 (spot-on according to the processing times on the webpage) we received a call to inform us that they have opened the file at the Processing Centre here in Canada, approved it and sent it off to Pretoria on that particular day.

A couple of weeks later we did receive the forms to be completed. We did that and sent it off to our parents in South Africa to be signed by them. They in turn submitted it to the High Commission in Pretoria about 10 days ago.

According to the SA High Commission in Pretoria's Web page it takes 6 - 12 Months from receipt of the signed forms to finalize the application. According to this we can expect to have Permanent Residence Visas to be issued for them anytime from June 2007 and at the latest by November 2007 (Given no unexpected hurdles)

Ben Jordaan

Just an update on our sponsoring application.

As mentioned in the previous posting the PR application was submitted in Pretoria in November 2006.

The long awaited letter of conditional approval for the PR Visa application was received during last week. Attached to this letter was the instructions for the medicals which should be done as soon as possible.

fatcat

We applied to sponsor my parents April 2005 and paid the Right of Landing fee which was $975.00 each. In 2006 the Right of Landing fee was reduced by almost half and it was made public that those who had paid the full amount would be reimbursed. We have just received a letter stating that our file has been reviewed and that we will be reimbursed as soon as I have confirmed postal address etc.

We are just so happy that they have looked at our file - according to the timeline we should have our approval in about 4-5 weeks.

fatcat

Received refund cheque for $970 on Monday for the ROLF. ( see previous post with regard to reduction of ROLF) Today I received the letter approving sponsorship, apparently info has been sent to Pretoria and I will receive documents for my parents in about 2 weeks time. My parents are in Banff at the moment so had to call them with the news. They are still visiting until 21 July so at least I dont have to post the documents.

Sheryl

Fatcat,

:D That is good news for your and your folks - wish it was my son's sponsorship application though! But unfortunately we still have a loooong wait as he applied in June 2006. Would your parents have to submit these documents from SA or could they do that while over there? I'd appreciate it if you could continue keeping us informed of the time it takes for their application to be processed, as it will help us plan the future as well.

Kind regards

Sheryl

jen1

I agree with Sheryl, thanks Fatcat, it is a great help to hear your timeline. It may make my parents make up their minds if we should apply or not. My mother wants to and my father insists it is a waste of money as he wont get approved cause he is too old. (in fact he says he will probably be dead before the approval came through anyway!) - Cheerful chap :angry: - Though at the speed they are processing he may be right :D

Cathy K

my father insists it is a waste of money as he wont get approved cause he is too old.

Ask Engela about this, her dad wasn't a spring chicken either. :D One of our friends was almost seventy when he came to Canada.The rest of us were around sixty and over.

Just tell your Dad he'll probably live longer in Canada, and the medicare is much less expensive (and way better) than it is in South Africa.

Cathy K.

fatcat

Thanks Sheryl, Jen and Cathy K. - Sheryl they will submit the docs when they get back to SA in July. I assume the next step for them will be obtaining the police clearances and the medical. My parents will be attending the Durban Coffee club so will get to meet you.

Rochelle

Speaking of ages - is there any upper limit for the sponsored parent? Does it make a difference whether your father is 60, 80 or 100?

fatcat

Not sure if there is an age limit but just for interest sake my folks are 67 and 65

Ben Jordaan

I just read about the issue of age for sponsoring and thought it appropriate to give an update on our sponsorship experience to highlight the fact that age should not pose a problem.

Marita's parents (aged 75 and 73) received their Permanent resident visas a month ago and are busy with their final preparations for the big move. In fact Marita arived in South Africa earlier today to support them as they are overwhelmed by the magnitude of things to be finalized prior to their departure. They are due to land here in Canada mid September. Although they are both fairly healthy for their age - they had no problems with their medicals and other than the long waiting time inherant to the application procedure everything went well with the sponsorship application. It took 3 years and one month to be exact.

jen1

Well I can finally add my name to this thread, we have applied November 2007, so I guess now we wait.....and wait........

Sheryl
I just read about the issue of age for sponsoring and thought it appropriate to give an update on our sponsorship experience to highlight the fact that age should not pose a problem.

Marita's parents (aged 75 and 73) received their Permanent resident visas a month ago and are busy with their final preparations for the big move. In fact Marita arived in South Africa earlier today to support them as they are overwhelmed by the magnitude of things to be finalized prior to their departure. They are due to land here in Canada mid September. Although they are both fairly healthy for their age - they had no problems with their medicals and other than the long waiting time inherant to the application procedure everything went well with the sponsorship application. It took 3 years and one month to be exact.

Ben,

Can you tell me how long it took from the time the parent's submitted their own application?

Thanks

Sheryl

Mossie

Hi there, I've just mailed my "Parents sponsorship application" last week. I was just wondering if there is any new time lines updates form you guys who have gone through the whole process. Thanx

PierreJvR

Our sponsorship approval for my in-laws took 2 years, to the day almost, from when we mailed it, 03/06 - 03/08. It just sat there for 2 years gathering dust, because our approval letter stated that they opened and approved the file on the same day.

Good luck

Pierre

Edited by PierreJvR

jen1

We applied nearly a year ago and so far all we have received is the standard letter saying they have our application, and that there is a long wait time till we hear anything more.

Mossie

Thanx guys! Pierre, tell me was it about 2 years for your side of the application....and if so how long did their part of the application take? This is so hard.....folks back in SA are waiting.....and you never know with the immigration people....do you?

PierreJvR

Mossie,

Yes, two years for our side, the sponsorship approval. Don't know how long it'll take for the in-laws' application, they only sent it off beginning of September, so now we wait and see. I'm expecting it to take between 8-16 months for their side.

Pierre

Loerie

According to CHC Pretoria, the second half of the process currently takes "a minimum of 18 months once the approved sponsorship and completed application is received by our office in Pretoria ". (See: "Other Family Class Applicants"). Then they explain the increase in processing times for parents/grandparents.

link

fatcat

Hey Everyone

UPDATE TO PARENT TIMELINE

Applied to sponsor April 2005

Approved as sponsor July 2007

Parents submitted application to Pretoria August 2007

Medicals 16 Sept 2008

Passports called for 20 November 2008

They have sold their apartment and transfer will take place beginning Jan 09 so they will be here in the first 2 months of 2009 - It has been a loooooooooong wait!

Vanessa

Congratulations!!!!

Hey Everyone

UPDATE TO PARENT TIMELINE

Applied to sponsor April 2005

Approved as sponsor July 2007

Parents submitted application to Pretoria August 2007

Medicals 16 Sept 2008

Passports called for 20 November 2008

They have sold their apartment and transfer will take place beginning Jan 09 so they will be here in the first 2 months of 2009 - It has been a loooooooooong wait!

jen1

Excellent news!!! You have given me hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel...I will update my parents today!!

Congrats!!! You must be excited!

dieulefit

That is now a great Christmas present!