Sign in to follow this  
Borris

London (that's Ontario)?

Borris

Would anyone who knows more about London (Ontario) re cost of living, job availability, standard of education (upper school and university), crime statistics etc, care to fill me in. We are still looking at places and have about 18 months- 2 years before we leave SA for Canada - paperwork is done! :D

We are not new to this site, but haven't contributed for some time. The wheels, though, are now starting to roll and the questions don't get less - as I gather from the rest of the topics too. We go through phases of hyperventilation and being over confident - swing of the pendulum, I guess.

Keep up the good work on this Forum

Borris

Shadley

Dont know too much but i do know that Western University is out there and it is a really good school. London is also close to Kitchener Cambridge Waterloo and there is major tech and manufacturing industries in that area.

Borris

Thank you, Shadley.

We haven't decided yet where we want to live and looked at London as an option, because the university came highly recommended. My husband went there for a visit (we are still on terra firma in SA) and we came to the conclusion that although it is a beautiful campus and the varsity has high ratings, there are not a lot of other choices in the area. If the children are either not accepted there or their courses of choice are not presented there, we are in a fix. (finances will be tight and varsity hostels may not be an option at first). We would probably look at places with a bigger choice of universities/colleges/technicons in the vicinity. It is good though to hear from people who have settled there though.

Thank you for your response.

Shadley

My family live in Cambridge and my father is a toolmaker working at a company called Budd. I attended Conestoga College in Kitchener and my brother attends Wilfred LAurier University in Waterloo. Both of us lived at home while at school and commuted as the drive is not that far and it is considerably less expensive than actually renting an apartment or staying in residence.

Waterloo has 2 major Universities - University of Waterloo and Wilfred Laurier University. The K-W area is very well populated and there are alot of options out there.

Anyway good luck on your move.