Sign in to follow this  
CPU

Jasper

CPU

The Columbia Icefield has been around since the early 1900s, and the ice has not melt that much. One day August 2000 I decided to take a drive to Jasper and took approximately 3.5 hours to get to the Icefield, half way to Jasper town from Calgary.

I go there just in time (4:30 PM) to take a tour in the SnoCoach, than back to Banff and stayed overnight. The drive was very scenic.

Edited by CPU

Pierre

This is where the Athabasca river starts which flows north to Fort McMurray and on to the Athabasca lake.

Summer is a good time to visit the glacier. In winter it is closed - that is the restaurant and buildings. The road is also usually closed in winter. Also the footpath up to the glacier is covered with snow and is trecherous.

Bananagirl

Thanks a bunch Pierre, I was considering taking a drive there on Family Day, Feb 19th, but now I'll wait until it warms up. They say the highway between Jasper and Banff is one of the prettiest around so it must be good.

Pierre

Bananagirl, the trip through the rockies (Banff to Jasper) is heavenly and out of this world. Truly spectacular.!!! The lakes, glaciers, mountains, rivers, wildlife, nature at it's best. Some of the lakes are unbelievable. It reminded me of what I had in mind moving to Canada - i.e. a lake surrounded by mountains and trees with someone kayaking accross a smooth clear water surface. If you are in Canada this is one of the tours one just has to make at some time. The Niagra falls would be the other must see and is also spectacular and unique of course. But the rockies can be visited over and over without getting bored. I have basically been there every year once or twice.

We're going to Banff for a ski weekend in Feb.

Harry

I have to agree with Pierre. That drive is one of the things that every person should do before he or she dies. It is truly the embodiment of all that one dreams Canada to be.

Guest Barbara

I have often heard the raod described as the most beautiful in the world. We went in May took friends from SA. It is the most beautiful I have ever seen. We will do it again.

Bananagirl

Thanks, julle. I read and heard that the Icefields Parkway is part of 1 of the World Heritage sites found in Alberta: (there are 5) "Travel through the majestic Canadian Rockies on a tour that is considered one of the most scenic mountain routes on Earth" - definitely on my "to-do" list and soon! I live for scenery, I feel like my soul's leaving my body and soaring around like a bird, so different from the hustle and bustle of city life. I'm sure this is breath-taking and can hardly wait. Thank goodness, my 17 year old will be getting his licence soon so I can gaze to my heart's content while he enjoys his :D driving experience. It's true, it's the image we get of Canada at it's best to enjoy.

Hendie

Ek moet saamstem, die Columbia Icefields Parkway is seker een van die mooiste in die Rockies.

• Hangende gletsers:

post-2-1138926951.jpg

• Die pragtige Peyto Lake:

post-2-1138926964.jpg

• maar gouspring voor die toerbusse daar aankom!

post-2-1138926977.jpg

• en interessante natuurlike rotsbrûe soos dié:

post-2-1138927110.jpg

Pierre

Moraine lake is my personal favourite.

post-46-1138936187.jpg

Bananagirl

Dankie vir all die pragtige prentjies. It looks rugged in some places and postcard perfect in others. Die water is so blou. Ek sal ook fotos neem en op 'n CD sit.

LOL, about the tour bus.