Sign in to follow this  
Diablo

University

Diablo

I hear that if you start in January ( very few do like Windsor, Laurentian - they are so far!) you are a semster behind!! I cant wait till september, too far and Im old as it is! Any advice??

Marli

Hi Diablo,

The North America academic year starts in September. However, there are institutions that allow you to enter in January, or in May as well. I started my studies at a university in Canada in May and had no problems with this. Yes you will be 4 months behind those who started in September if you start in January, but so what? You'll be 8 months ahead of those who start the next September.

Don't worry about it. Just start when you can and when they will allow you to enter.

Diablo

your advice is so true. ANyone knows anything about university of Windsor? its so far but im compelled to got there because it starts in January, everyone is telling me no its bad, you will be behind and in the middle of things and they wont have any orientation for new students! Every one that i have talked to says that orientation is vital to a students succesc because it is the best and easist way to make friends. Whereas if you start in Jan or May there is no orientation and you dont feel like asking someone who you dont know for help, its an awkward situation!

Im going to think myself into a comma, Im so confused to go or not but what you said makes sense but Im afraid it will be harder for me if there is no orientation. n e suggestions??

Marli

Hi Diablo, you are right about that. I think orientation does only happen in September. And it is nice to be a part of it. Unfortunately now you have to weigh your choices. What are the benefits in waiting for September? What are the benefits in starting in January. List these for yourself. Include things like making friends, orientation (I am not sure how old you are, if you're just leaving high school, then I think orientation is very important for you, if you are a mature student, then you wouldnt need the orientation). What about finances. Do you have a bursary, will you study with a loan? Will your family finance you? Remember that if you start in September, you can spend the next couple of months working and earning money that may help make your transition to university easier.

Now that you've mentioned the orientation part, I have to reiterate that if you will be starting university fresh from high school, then I think the orientation process is VERY important, it certainly helps you to make friends and form bonds that may last for the rest of your life. If you have some experience with studying after school and if you are more independent (as in you've worked for a 2 or more years, perhaps live by yourself etc.), then I wouldnt put to much importance on the orientation.

Unfortunately, I do not know the university you're talking about.

Diablo

hello there!

Im 20! For you this may not come across as very old but to me it defnbtely is. I studided in Botswana and finished my O'Levels there at the age of 18! I came here to Canada and they didnt recognize my qualifications! I had to repeat! Now all my buddies in botswana are in second year while im doing high school courses. My cousin who is 19 is doing first year at University of cape town, so its also a matter of my reputation as well, if I start in Sept she will already be in second year and the rest of my ex-classamtes in third year! I wish these canadian schools could have started University in January like South Africa!

I plan to live on campus . I am thinking of applying to university in South Africa for January! Do you think there is still time to apply as an internatinal student since I only have the Botswana passport?

Orientation is so important!

I was thinking if i do one year in South African university and take a transfer back to a university here would it work? No they prolly will tell me to repeat! I dont wanna regress!

Ahh this is the toughest decision of my life!!!!

Hello Marli once again

Im assuming you are going to york since it starts in May eh

Marli

Hi Diablo

It is too late to apply for the university of Cape Town. I see on their website that the deadlines for applications to UCT is 20 September. If you have not applied to the Canadian Universities for entry in January, you may be too late for that as well, in which case your problem will be solved!

I think that the best thing you can do is to find out what your options are. Perhaps the universities of your choice will not allow you to enter in January, then you will have no alternative but to start in September.

Questions for you to answer.

1) What university do I wish to attend

2) Do I fulfill their minimum requirements

3) Can I finance my studies at this university

3) If yes to the above two questions, when am I able to start with the program. (Read their website to see when they will allow you to enter into the program. If they only allow you in September, then your problem is solved)

4) Is there still enough time to start at the earliest time (ie. has the deadline for submissions closed)

Perhaps what you need to do is to discuss this matter with a guidance councellor at a school or at a university that is near you. They will be able to assist you a lot better. Don't waste too much more time worrying about this, as worrying will not help you, only real concrete information will help you. You need to speak to go out and find someone of authority at your high school or at the university.

By the way, I live in Vancouver and I started my studies in Victoria. I'm a mature student, hence I never did the orientation bit here in Canada. I did however do it when I was still a student in South Africa.

Edited by Marli

Marli

Perhaps Karen, our education host, knows more about the issues you are dealing with. What are your thoughts Karen?

Diablo

Hello Marli!

Thank you, i suppose there is no way of getting into the SA universities! I did apply for the January admissons in Canada to University of Windsor, ontario. It begins September and finishes in April. I was thinking if I do one yeah in Windsor i could take a transfer to the university i want to get into ( Wilfrid Laurier) but then again I heard transfering is not easy! Not many universities allow that!!!!

Hello Marli!

It begins September and finishes in April.

Oops ma bad I meant it starts in January and ends in April, but then ....omg this is the toughest decision for me! Im taking evening classses so tonight i will speak with the guidance councelor because what my friends tell me is their opinion. Im going to get advice from the counceloor and not my classmates.

DougieFaure

hi Diablo - not only do some universities not like transfers - they will not grant credits for work done. - that is in some cases - but each case must be checked out ahead of time - to save a wasted year.

By the way - I hear that Ottawa University is easy to get into - but brush up your French - as even though it is an English University - some studetns who I have known got surprised with French only classes some subjects (this was due to registration preferences) and is only publieshed when all students have registered (I have only anecdotal info on this)

Dougie (Ottawa)

Zanie

Hello there Diablo...

The first thing you'll have to overcome is what your ex-classmates and family are doing right now and think about yourself!!! What if you're a year behind... You're in Canada now, you have your own life. It's about where you see yourself in the future, not what the people you know have accomplished...

YOu should look into the University of South Africa... They have some degrees that you can do from within Canada, that's "up to Canadian standards." I looked into it myself, but unfortunately they did not have anything I was interested in at the time... Here is a link you can go to: UNISA - Canada/USA

UNISA also have centres in Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver and Victoria...

Good luck,

Zanie

Edited by Zanie1976

Diablo
(I am not sure how old you are, if you're just leaving high school, then I think orientation is very important for you, if you are a mature student, then you wouldnt need the orientation). What about finances. Do you have a bursary, will you study with a loan? Will your family finance you?

If you have some experience with studying after school and if you are more independent (as in you've worked for a 2 or more years, perhaps live by yourself etc.), then I wouldnt put to much importance on the orientation.

Thats the problem! Im not independent! But im seriously making some decisions of what to do.

Thanks Zanie for the site

Diablo

Hi Marli!

I have decided to live on my own! Maybe at a campus or renting a shared town house nearby...unsure right now!

Thanks for helping me in this decision, Life is going to get tougher for me as my parents are thinking off moving to Cape Town, In fact this December they are going to see some houses which shows they are dead serious!

Everything is in god's hand!

Marli

Hi Diablo,

It is good that you're making decisions by yourself, but you need to think it through before you commit yourself to this. And you will need your parents to help you with this. They will have to help you draw up a budget and plan how you will pay for everything. How much will rent be, food, classes, books, etc etc. It will be tough not having your parents around, do you think you'll be able to do this without their emotional support?

The most important thing you can do right now is to try and be prepared for the realities of this decision and hopefully you can do a trial run before your parents leave the country.

I hope this helps and I can try and help you as much as I can.

Good luck!

Marli

Edited by Marli

Diablo

Im so so teribbly confused! OK am i ready to go without their emotional support?? Absolutely not! Even though im not a kid anymore I still get these feelings!

But as you said many people have done it before. I just hope the adjustment is going to go smooth and easy!

I gotta get out and think for a while...its so sad!

Diablo

How soon can one expect a reply from the university if they have applied in the university??

Because Im leaving for South Africa on 6 Dec!

Anyone know>>>>>>??

Zanie

I have no idea, but I'm leaving for SA on Dec. 4th! :D

Diablo

Oh wow Zanie!!!! Which flight are you taking????

Karen

Diablo,

I am the Mom of two university students, and I can honestly tell you that at 20 you will not have missed much by not attending orientation week. As Marli has rightly stated, it really benefits school leavers the most, and is a way to meet a whole bunch of new people, but it is certainly not critical to your success at university.

Here is a suggestion for you to ponder. Why don't you enrol at a community college in the interim and do a few courses that could perhaps be recognised towards the degree you are planning on starting in September. You may also be able to do some part- time work, which will not only give you some financial independence, but also look really good on a resume.

Twenty is the perfect age at which to start your studies, believe me. You will be streets ahead of the younger ones in your classes, and that life experience will soon be picked up by the profs, Also, you will have the pick of the 18 year old girls, who will think it is so cool to have an 'older' guy in the class!!!

Once again, look at all of your options and best of luck. Age does not matter- I am a Queen's University student at the age of 50 - even have a student card to prove it!!!

Zanie

Hello again Diablo.

I'm flying British Airways to Cape Town, from Vancouver, and will return with SAA and Air Canada, to Calgary.

Good luck with your University studies!

Zanie

Diablo

Hey you!

Have fun Zanie and by the way guys I got admission for university in January! Still trying to arrange for residency! Hope I can get everything done before leaving to SA! Now the ball is rolling! These weeks have been so hectic deciding whether or not to go until my parents finally told me to go in Jnauary. Keep you guys posted more on it later!

Diablo

Diablo

Well aint anyone going to congratulate me??

Shout outs to Marli, Zanie and Karen!! Where are thou??

Marli

Hi Diablo!

Sorry, I wasnt on my computer very much yesterday! Absolutely I want to congratulate you! Wow, to be accepted for January, surely took some work, but I am very happy for you! I hope it works out and that you enjoy it a lot.

Shout if you need any help

:-)

Marli

Karen

Well done, Diablo!

Which university will you be attending and what will you be studying?

Harry

Congratulations, Diablo!

You hid that statement in the middle of your trip and flight info...! Jô!

I have the same question as Karen.

My 20 year old son is at Simon Fraser University here in Vancouver, battling his way towards being an actuary.

Zanie

:D Well done Diablo...

You've taken the first step towards your future! Hope it brings you everything you're looking for!

Good luck,

Zanie