Sign in to follow this  
Christine Viljoen

I need some advice

Christine Viljoen

Hi all.Ek gaan nou maar in AFRIKAANS skryf (dit is tog my moeder taal).Ek is in Graad 10 en wil weet of dit beter sal wees om eers skool klaar te maak in Suid-Afrika.

As julle dink Kanada het snaakse woorde wil julle nie die goed hoor wat nou hier uit kom nie. Soos woef kardoes (wat ons ken as doggy bag).

Is dit nou somer daar in Kanada. Ons het al so baie inligting, maar ons weet dit nog steeds nie. Hoe is die mense daar (vriendlik of bietjie anders).

Dimitri

expiper

Dimitri

As jy will studeer sal ek aanbeveel dat jy eerder jou schooling hier voltooi. Karen behoort jou beter antwoord te kan gee.

Vriendelikheid - Oor die algemeen is die mense baie vriendelik en behulpsaam maar hou baie by themselves en is baie polities correct, party keer kan dit 'n pyn in die g.. wees veral as jy in 'n bestuurs posisie is.

Other than that, it's a good place to live.

Karen

Dimitri,

I will answer you in English, as my school Afrik. is really rusty after 12 years of living here.

Is it better to finish school in SA? Good question. If you are in matric the year you arrive, it may be, but if not, a year or two here won't be a bad thing at all. It will allow you to get credits in an array of subjects perhaps not do- able in SA and also to learn how the system works( and it a very different one from the one you know), and of course, to make new friends who will go onto to college/university etc with you. I think it will be an amazing learning curve for you if you look upon it as a wonderful life adventure. Of course, you may feel real culture shock initially at what you see and hear, but with time, that will pass and you will adapt and become used to everything - even if some things remain very weird always!

Remember that Canada is a country of immigrants and students arrive from all over the world at all stages of their education, and they are generally well catered for and they all do settle - some sooner than others, and that is also alright.

Summer in Canada runs from around June until early Sept, so right now we are at the tale end of the season and will soon move into Fall, so called because the leaves fall from the trees after turning the most magnificent colours. So, our seasons are very definite and reversed from the SA ones.

Here are some questions for you:

When are you arriving and where in Canada?

Are you feeling very apprehensive about this move ( to be expected), but still want to do it?

Do you and your parents/guardians feel that this will be a positive move for all of you? Have you ever visited here?

Are you doing a lot of reseach about Canada and its systems?

Feel free to continue asking questions here, and we will do our best to answer them for you.

Christine Viljoen

Karen and Expiper thanks for replying.

We are going to move there (Canada) in the next 6 months or so. Fort Nelson, Fort st John or Fort Mc Murray are some of the places I hered of.

I was exited at first, but I want to finish school in South-Africa. I think it will be better for me.

My education here in South-Africa is average,but Im getting good grades

Karen

Dimitri,

There is no reason why you will not continue getting good grades here too. In my experience, most SA students who come here, tend to do very well and even find some of the subjects easier than back home.

You can do your credits on a few levels here, so if you are not really good at something, you can opt to do it a college or workplace level rather than the university one. I am also sure you will be given credit for subjects such as Math and English done in SA.

It seems as if you are going to a smaller city or town, and I am certain that the kids at school there will make you feel very welcome and be most interested in you.

IMO( for what it's worth), you are in grade 10 and can still get in another two years of schooling here, which if you are going to make this your home, is a very good idea. When you have kids someday, you will understand the system better and you will have geared yourself for any tertiary courses, too.

Try and put your fears behind you and look forward to an exciting and interesting life journey, which I am sure you will never regret.

I wish you courage, luck and lots of fun in planning for your new life.

SAAngel

Hi Dimitri

I stayed to finish Matric in SA before we moved over here. I do not recommend finishing school in SA, I would advise you to finish your schooling here. Mainly because your Grade 12 from SA doesn't count here. I finished Grade 12 with most of my subjects in Higher Grade with fairly good marks, but when they converted it over here I barely had a Grade 11 education ( according to the Canadian Equivalent) I had to go to College for almost 2 years before I could even think of applying to University here, needless to say I got fed up and gave up just over a year into my studying.

My advice would be to move over here, finish you schooling here. You will make friends easier in High School that will likely go through with you to University, you will be able to get into said University easier, and if you're lucky you may get pushed ahead a year like my brother was when we moved over here.

As for the friendliness of Canadians, they all love the accent and are generally very friendly.

Hope that helped, even just a little bit.

ChristineViljoen

Thanks for all the advice,I needed to hear that. Well Im going to finish school in Canada.It looks like everyone is getting good grades there!!!!!

expiper

But, you still have to work hard to achieve good grades

ianmillar

I agree with saangel,

I am 23 and a grad of yr 2000 in SA and i also had to do upgrade courses but thankfully that they are free (at least i hope for all colleges like North Island College www.nic.bc.ca)

Also i feel that my social life is rather small compared to my brother as he is completing grd 12 in Canada.

Well good luck

johankok

Remember that you will have to do a SAT test to be accepted at Uni in Canada, even if you have an SA matriculation exemption. With good SAT marks, the equivalence should not be a factor. However, if you try to go in without SAT tests, then you have to go for equivalence, and you could have what happended to SAAngel.

You could apply for SAT tests at the following web site: www.collegeboard.com. Be sure that the english is of a high standard, and be on top of your maths when writing it. It is worth getting the various books available on collegeboard. Plan to write it twice, the first time round provides for good experience.

My daughter just completed her (home) schooling (and SAT tests) and are planning to study in Canada. However, being a little late to apply for September, she will start in Tukkies, and hopefully move across in Sept, next year.

Regards

Johan Kok