Sign in to follow this  
ChristineViljoen

What is it like in Canada?

ChristineViljoen

Hi,guys and girls. My name is Dimitri and I'm 16. We are living in Witbank SA but will be moving to Canada soon (Fort Mc Murray, Fort St John or Chetweynd are some of the places that were mentioned). What is it like there? Do you have school uniforms there? Are there lots of skateboarders? What kind of outdoor activities do you have in Canada? What is the weather like? Please reply on my e-mail. Thanks :)

CharleneK

Christine,

Although I'm not young (well, not VERY), I have lived in that area for a while. No school uniforms, and the school year runs from Septembeer till June. Although winters are cold where you're going, people only stay indoors when it's colder than -20 degrees centigrade. In winter you ski (downhill and cross-country), skate and snowboard (the winter version of skateboarding.) In summer you play rugby (yes, girls too), soccer, baseball, basketball etc. etc. Both Chetwynd and Fort St John have good indoor swimming pool complexes with wave pools.

No matter the weather or the remoteness, most Canadian young ones find that there are not enough hours in the day for all the things they can do. And yes, they skateboard, mountain bike, ride horses.......

You'l love it here!

Charlene

Jakkals

Hi Dimitri

I'm 18 and I've been living in Fort McMurray for just over 3 years now. We came here directly from SA. It does get very cold up here, the coldest I've seen here is -58 C (that's with the windchill). But before you freak out, its not that cold the whole winter. :P Our coldest months are January & February where we might have a couple of weeks where it will go down to -40 and maybe a day or two where its colder than that. But while your inside your not cold at all. Houses are kept at a nice temperature (ours is at 20 C). Its cold when you go outside, but even then your dressed for the cold.

Up here snowboarding (like skateboarding on snow) is a major activity in the winter. I stink at it, but I know a lot of people that are really good. There's also regular skiing, skating etc. And then there is another hobby that people up here have that is a lot of fun... A lot of people here have quads (4 wheel "bikes" - I can't remember what we called them in SA), which they drive outside in the woods summer and winter. And then they have skidoos ( like those things you ride on the water, except these are for snow) which are a lot of fun. They can go pretty fast and are driven next to the road, in the woods etc.

We don't wear uniforms. You wear whatever you want. In the winter some of the girls and guys even like to wear pajama bottoms to school. You can have any hairstyle you want ( you actually see people with mohawks here - and hair in all kinds of colours) and as many piercings as you want. There are basicly no rules regarding what you wear. Hoodies are very popular and I personally love them.

It takes a lot of getting used to but Fort McMurray isn't all bad. That being said, I am very glad I'm moving to Edmonton in September! ;)

Eileen