Sign in to follow this  
Adele

Vancouver: Southern African Picnic, Sep 5th

Adele

A South African/Rhodesian/Zimbabwean Picnic in the Park.

WHAT: END of SUMMER PICNIC Braai's/bbq's can be enjoyed and games can be played by all ages. Whole families and all those singles out there to! Even those South African pets are welcome! ;)

WHEN:September 5th, 2005 11am - 4pm, or later, once you start to have fun! The park opens at 8AM and it is a first come basis for the tables.

WHERE:Derby Reach, Fort Langley

DERBY REACH REGIONAL PARK

Located at the North end of the Township just off 208th street on Allard Crescent. Wander deeply shaded trails, walk fields once farmed by pioneers, fish the Fraser River, or imagine the bustle of a trading post while standing on the site of the first Fort Langley – includes an excellent fishing bar with overnight camping facilities, cycling on the Fort-to-Fort Trail and the Edge Farm Trail, off-leash dog area is provided at Edgewater Bar and horseback riding is permitted on the Houston Trail.

Everyone brings along:

Own drinks, Munchies for the bbq.

If you last name starts with A - M bring a salad and N - Z a desert for the share table.

Own picnic blanket, Sun umbrella and lawn chairs.

Gas braaing it is, as unfortunately we have not got a covered, reserved facility which provided wood and fire pit. Don't forget the towels, the games e.g. volleyball, badminton, RUGBY balls etc and for the more energetic, of us, bicycles. :cry:;);):cry: :lol

The obligatory warning: PLEASE NOTE: NO DRINKING IN REGIONAL PARKS! B) but what I don't see, ;) I can't say anything about.... ;)

FYI:

Want SA alcohol: For all Varietals of Red & White Wine,

Spirits and of course Beer!

If you want to make this a GREAT event and show your support get back to me at adele (at) sacanada.org or call me 604.575.4042

Edited by Adele

Adele

I am very happy to announce that RWW(Rhodesians Worldwide) has joined us. Wendy and Allistair Ball have been hosting events for RWW at Derby Reach for the past 2 years and host events at Christmas too. You can read more here about the Rhodesians.

We felt that joining the 2 communities for this event would only strengthen the Southern African people in Canada.

Looking forward to meeting many more people at this event.

Hendie

Good work Adele!

Adele

Thanks Hendie. Now I need the Coporate community to step up and offer door prizes for that day.

Anyone here willing to donate something for this great event? Call me at 604.575.4042. I am looking for things that familie's would appreciate. I have food certificates for restaurants and clothing but things like haircuts, housewares, appliances and odd gifts or certificates would be great.

Please remember this is a Family event as well as an opportunity to meet other people. It is not specifically a business event, but it might be a good opportunity to promote your business, if it is family related and not a business service.

Adele

VERY VERY EXCITING THINGS ARE HAPPENING!!!

We have had the people from SAFARI GOURMET PIES, offer to come out and support us. On the day of the Picnic, they will be providing Boerewors (farmer's sausage), Pork Sausages, Biltong, Droewors, S.A. Pop, and Appeltiser.

We will also be having a few lucky draws:

So far we have prizes that have been generously sponsored by:

SACanada - Adele & Michael Putter, ABC Country Restaurant, Bemberi Marketing, Enigma, Minuteman Press - South Vancouver, Nando's Canada, Yvonne and Andy Berrisford.

Thank you to everyone who is willing to make this such a HUGE Success.

Looking forward to meeting eveyone at Derby Reach, September 5, 2005. 11am - 4pm

Edited by Adele

Rochelle

Hey Adele

Not to "rain" on the parade, but are there any contingency plans in case of rain? What are the chances of the event being postponed/cancelled in the event of rain, and how will we know if that has happened?

We are planning on coming and bringing our Columbian friends (we're going to their Columbian BBQ today - talk about an exchange of cultures!), but we don't want to drive all the way out there from North Van for nothing.

Adele

Hi Rochelle,

Glad to hear you are inviting other people along.

I have been STRESSING about that very fact. I usually have a contigency plan when I have planned a smaller group. But not this time. I have been watching the 36 hour Weather Channel for the last 10 days, and today is the first time the temp for tomorrow has dipped below 20 deg. They are expecting 19 deg and partly Sunny with a 10% chance of precipatation. Therefore it is ON!. If that 10% becomes 100% and it does rain, then there is a facility inside the actual park, unfortunately you would have to park outside, walk in and join us under the cover. It will not be postponed or cancelled, but it may finish up earlier if it rains..

When you get there and you need to find us. Once you have parked and you are facing the river, we will be at the picnic tables staight ahead. NOT UNDER THE COVERERD FACILITIES. Just look for the banner that says, "Welcome SACanadians".

Adele

I would also like to mention a few 'TAKE NOTES" :

Safari Pies will be at the Park selling Boerewors, Pork Sausages, Biltong, Droewors, and S.A. Canned Pop.

We have secured a fire pit, and they have lifted the fire ban. We may use wood, charcoal or briquetts IN the fire pit. Note that some woods have been treated with toxins and therefore are not suitable for cooking over.

We will have two BBQs going, as well as the fire pit. If you wish to bring a small portable with for your own use, it would be appreciated. Unless you wish to use charcoal in that case please bring your own bag or two.

We will be having several lucky draws, and there will be a table reserved for name tags, entering the lucky draws, and for sign-up to receive future invites. Not R.W.W. will have a seperate sign up sheet.

As mentioned in the previous post, I will not be postponing or cancelling the event in the case of rain. But we will meet INSIDE the actual camping park at the covered facility and end earlier.

While driving there from the 200th street off ramp, look for the "SA Picinc in the Park" flyers attached to the traffic lights.

Andy & Yvonne

Hi Adele,

Thanks for the lovely day at Derby Reach.

Yvonne

Edited by Adele

deenav69

Hi Adele, thanks for a great day. Felt good to be around South Africans again. The smell of wors on a braai, surrounded by our unique accent, stirred up some feelings of nostalgia. Couldn't think of a better to spend sucha beautiful day.

Looking forward to the next gathering..

Cheers

Deena

post-1485-1126041729.jpg

Cathy K

Cute! Really cute!

Cathy K.

Adele

Hi Yvonne, Andy, Deena, and EVERYONE else,

Thank YOU for joining us, and having fun. If it was not for the people attending and to those who helped behind the scenes, the "Picnic in the Park" would not have been the success it was.

There were 172 people who came out and 'signed' in. There were many kids there too, who had parents who 'forgot' :huh::ph34r: to add their names in. Anyhow, they still had a lot of fun. The day turned out beautiful and the Park was the most relaxing place to be. The smell of boerewors, steaks, and chops on an open flamed fire, smelt 'mouth watering' delicious, (tasted even better) :P:angry: , until someone did the newspaper thing and the smoke was on, even that brought back some memories for some people. ;):lol::lol:

Many friendships from South Africa were renewed and new ones made. Networking was done in a very casual and subtle manner. Safari pies and their team of people saw to the drinks and the recylcing was full of S.A. pop cans. I usually ONLY drink Appletiser so I did not know you could get Fanta Strawberry now. :blink::cry: . Anyhow the kids sure enjoyed it.

A fun time was had by everyone, and I would like to encourage every person in Vancouver to sign up to the Vancouver Meet & Greet's List, so that you can join us for the next event.... WATCH THIS SPACE. B);)

Hendie, if you will allow this one time name advertising, I would like to say a big thank you to our sponsors and donators of gift certificates and prizes:

• ABC Country Restaurant - White Rock (Meal for two gift certificates)
  • BBQ Buddy (2 Caps)
  • Cornerstone Gallery ($20 gift certificate)
  • Bemberi Marketing (Gift Cards)
  • Minuteman Press - S.E. Marine Drive (banner's and flyers)
  • Nando's Canada (2 hampers)
  • SACanada - wood for the fire, gas braais (bbq's) gazebos, tables, etc
  • Safari Pies (provided S.A. Pop, Boerewors and biltong)
  • Square Hair (Free hair cut)
  • Yvonne and Andy (Red Robin, and Nando's Burnaby gift certificates)

Once again thank you to everyone for joining us. I will be posting pictures soon.

Edited by Adele