Sign in to follow this  
AnnieA

Cats in Calgary

AnnieA

Hi there

I've been doing a bit of reseach in anticipation of my move and was/am looking at Calgary.

What has worried me a little is the fact that it would seem that certain cities, Calgary being one, do not allow cats outside of the house. Was this a factual report or not?

I can't think of anything worse, for my cats and me, for them to be cooped up in a house 24 hours a day. My cats are 'Seffrican' and like to go out in the yard.

Of course, where I am offered a position, will finally affect where I settle, but if this is true, I'll not even research this area any further.

Keep up the wonderful site. I love 'browsing'.

A

Kolla

Annie, yes it might be the law here as I dont see cats on their own wandering into my yard and prowling the back alleys here. You often see cats sitting in windows starring outside and defnetly wishing they had the freedom to just walk off into the sunset.

Non cat owners dont want their animals to be a pest to the neigbours, lots of people here has turned to back yard bird feeding and once a cat has found this constant string of hungry birds arriving, its hard for them not to try and catch a few.

In a previous home here in Calgary, my neighbour was absolutely horrified to find bird feathers in her backyard, she was really disgusted by this possible loose cat catching, eating and leaving the feathers and some intestines, for her young todler and his not much older sister, to pick through the remains.

A solution to the problem is to fasten your cat in your front yard on a leash, so he can walk around your own yard and explore a bit and enjoy the sunshine, unsupervised. As you cant watch him for an hour or more outside yourself, so then you tie him up and he can enjoy himself. I believe nothing will happen if your cat stays off leash in your own yard, the problems begin when kietsie jumps the fence and start going to the neighbours.

Another good solution for cats I have seen first hand here now in my own neighberhood. A women walks very often her dog on his leash and a short distance behind her and the dog, follow 2 cats on their own, walking at least 30 mins. To get some exersize and fresh air they walk not as fast as a dog but they keep coming and stay on the sidewalk.

The first time I saw this women and her 3 animals out and about on a walk, I just had to look twice, I litterally could not believe my eyes 2 cats on a draf stappie and seemingly enjoying it a lot! So try and teach your cats to go for a walkie and they will be fine. Remember a big part of the year its in any ways so cold they will be indoors then for months on end anyway.

Ann

You might think of doing what I have done and that is to get a Kitty Condo for your cats.

They can custom make your cats Kitty Condo to suit where you will be placing the condo.

You might provide access via a Sliding Patio door or window

Matisse

Here the general attitude towards pets is one of responsible ownership. Roaming dogs or cats are therefore frowned upon, and owners are expected to take care of their pets and keep them under control. This article gives an indication of the views about a neighbour's cat in your yard, and how owners are expected to control their cat.

On this webpage you will find a link about the City of Calgary bylaw concerning cats. The bylaw requires that a cat must remain on its owner's property - if not, the cat can be trapped (humanely) and taken to Animal Services, where the owner will have to pay a fine to get the cat back. The links on this website also show some amazing examples of cat runs and enclosures, definitely only for the serious cat lover!

As a previous cat owner, I used to have the typical SA attitude that a cat should have the freedom to go outside at will. However, my 3 cats in SA died violent deaths - run over by a car, killed by a neighbour's dog, and shot with a pellet gun. My next cat will therefore stay indoor, and go on outdoor visits on a leash and harness and within a cat run (something like Ann's Kitty Condo perhaps).

Edited by Matisse

anthea

hi annieA

I would also not look at calgary if that was the law. My cat is not a wanderer at all, but does his business outside and likes to lie on the wall, and watch other cats or people walk by. I could not think of anything so cruel to a cat , who has never had to stay inside.

When i lived in Florida, in 1992, my cat was the only cat to wander around the complex, even though they were meant to stay inside. But i was on very good terms with the runners, so yes i was lucky, but i wouldnt want to take a risk if someone would try ot hurt my cat. So i would definately look in a nother city.

I have a british passport as i was born there, and one of the major factors of not moving there is the quarantine.

Anthea

Marli

Hi Matisse

I have to admit to finding the article you referred to quite funny. Funny, in the sense that I don't know if the people that wrote the article have ever tried to teach a cat that used to roam free, to stay indoors.

Our cat is a moaner and has a very strong desire to go outside. Can you ignore a crying baby? Well, similarly, you cannot ignore our cat. We work from home and believe me, the cat can drive you insane with his cries...

Fortunately, I've never come across such bylaws in Vancouver - because I also believe it would've affected whether I came here or not. I do see cats roaming around here and also in Victoria where I used to stay.

I cannot believe that cats can make a happy transition from outdoors cat to indoors cat. Perhaps in a snowy winter, yes - but not in summer!

Hendie

Hmmm, looks like you're right about this:

RUNNING AT LARGE

3. The owner of a cat shall ensure that the cat is not running at large.

4. Where a cat is running at large, the owner or occupant of that property on which the cat is running at large may make a complaint to the Animal Services Supervisor.

Source: Cat Regulations

Matisse
I have to admit to finding the article you referred to quite funny.  Funny, in the sense that I don't know if the people that wrote the article have ever tried to teach a cat that used to roam free, to stay indoors.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Marli, I agree with you that it will be quite difficult for an outdoor cat to make the transition. I tried to do that with my cat when we moved to Cape Town, but he was so visibly unhappy that I allowed him out again. And then some months later some sadistic kids shot him with a pellet gun. :cry:

I guess immigration do not only require adjustments from humans, but also from their four-legged companions. <_<

Maybe if one arrives in winter, the transition can be easier - I am sure the cat will not want to be outside in the snow, and by the time summer arrives he might be more used to his new lifestyle.

Marli

I am so sorry about what happened to your cat! I don't understand how people can be so cruel!

I am aware of the dangers out there. I often tell myself that if something were to happen to one of my cats when they're outside, at least I will know that they've had a happy life.

I am not sure what cats do in the really cold parts of Canada, but when it snowed here in Vancouver (we only had snow cover for about 2 weeks and it never went below -10 degrees during that time - and usually not colder than -3 during the day), my cats stayed indoors for about 2 days. On the 3rd day they became VERY insistent. So we let them out... And after that they were not afraid anymore. They didnt stay outside for long, but they still went out a couple of times during the day.

The picture below was taken on her first visit outside. The other cat prints you see belong to our other (much braver) cat and the neighbour's cats

post-246-1122663525.jpg

Edited by Marli