Sign in to follow this  
BevBrad

What a lot of work

BevBrad

I came across this pipeline the other day whilst meandering through the backroads near my home. St Margarets bay, Nova Scotia.

Upon closer inspection I was astounded to see that it was made of wood in the style of a very long whiskey barrel. It is about 1.5 km long and about 9 feet in diam.

Imagine the work that went into building this! Anyone seen anything like this elsewhere?

post-1446-1121799994.jpg

Daléne

Wow, talk about hard work!! Maybe it's a whiskey line? :P

Matisse

This is quite amazing!

According to information here, these wood stave pipes (as they are called) are manufactured by Canbar Inc, located in Breslau, Ontario.

This company is the only wood stave pipe manufacturer in Canada, and these pipes are produced for irrigation, industrial, and potable water supply, as well as hydroelectric power generating plant applications all over North America and the Caribbean.

The benefits of these pipes are that they are easy to install, especially across difficult terrain, suitable to all kinds of climatic conditions and require minimal maintenance.

I guess if one can make the pipeline from wood, you can also transport whiskey in it. :P

Edited by Matisse

Adele

If it transports water or whiskey, I hope it has a nice big tap on the end so as not to waste the good stuff. Now if you had them running side by side (whiskey and water please) with a refrigerator (on the rocks) at the end, you could enjoy yourself and get fall down happy... :wacko::P:cry::cry:;)

Andy & Yvonne

Did you happen to notice what was at either end? Is it just strung across the veld on it's own or is it attached to something (a whiskey-lovers house)?

Andy

Andy & Yvonne

I believe this pipe is the penstock for a hydro elrctric plant at St. Margaret's Bay, owned and operated by NS Power. This carries water from a dam to the turbine at a lower level.

I found this paragraph from an IEEE document on the web:

"The Nova Scotia Power Commission was created by the provincial government in 1919. The Commission undertook a number of developments, notably at St. Margaret’s Bay to provide hydroelectric power to Halifax and vicinity, on the East River at Sheet Harbour, at Mersey, and at the Tusket plant near Yarmouth. "

Andy