Sign in to follow this  
Harry

How long to get a Permanent Resident Visa

mareyke

Morning all :angry:

I am new on the block and would kindly appreciate your guidance / help in replying the below - (will introduce myself in the foyer section asap)

Once you have a position (work) in "wherever" Canada how long would the process then be to immigrate as a family ?

Would one need to first go over on perhaps a work visa and once over there after year(s) apply Permanent Residency ??

It does sense to us that finding and being successfull in getting a job as a first step would be first prize ?

Thank you

Mareyke

Dedré

Mareyke,

I look forward to your introduction in the Foyer.

I don't know how long it takes to process PR within Canada and when one can apply. But agree with you, to get out of SA as soon as possible, first prize is to get a job offer. Good luck with finding a job. Please let us know what your occupations are. Maybe someone can help with sound advice.

mareyke

Hi Dedrè

Thank you for your reply

I am in the Wine industry Managing the Logistics thereof for a company in Stellenbosch - exporting all over the world.

Husband - A computer Engineer dedicated to some latest and greatest computers and systems thereof (only he can say what they are)

We understand that between the two of us will he gain the most points from a working background scenario.

Trevor&Anelle

What a GREAT post, Harry!

We are hoping to go to Chile in South America with a Canadian engineering consultancy company within the next 8 months. We will then live in Santiago for a year before applying for permanent residency from there. Can we at any point ask for the process to be put on ice (so to speak) if we are not quite ready to move to Canada within the year after the medicals?

We are homeschooling so we are pretty flexible regarding moving and we are thinking that seeing a bit of the world doing various contracts within the safety net of a company before settling somewhere (Canada) permanently would be really great!

Thanks

Anelle

Edited by Trevor&Anelle

KarenLV
If I understand you correctly, you are asking if CHC (Canada High Commission in Ptia, SA) can decline towards the end. I wish I can say no, but they can. Remember each step is a small process making up the whole process of 3y or so. I stand to be corrected, but CHC can really only decline if:

1) You do not obtain the required points

2) You are medically unfit

3) You have a criminal record/s

4) During any of the process stages, you or your accompanying family has become a security threat.

Even if you are approved, a security officer at your point of entry can stop you from entering Canada if any of the above items surfaces prior to you actually arriving in Canada.

Best to also consider a few other countries for immigration as well not have all your eggs in one basket, have options.

Regards

Cant they at least tell you why you have been declined? I cannot imaging having to wait so long and then being declined. I have to wait 42 months since I only applied last year (2007 Oct). The idea of going through everything and then being declined fills me with dread. I had 75 points last time I checked,so now I just need to stay out of trouble and stay healthy and not hang out with the wrong crowds. He-he!

Edited by KarenLV

Island Life
Cant they at least tell you why you have been declined?

Yes, they will tell you why you've been declined, and you also have a right to appeal. Not sure about being declined at the airport by the Border Service Agency people - I don't think they have to give reasons for refusing entry to someone on the basis that allowing them entry would be a threat to national safety, but I doubt that the types of people being refused entry at the airport have come through the full immigration process and are being turned away at the final hurdle.

EvB
Cant they at least tell you why you have been declined? I cannot imaging having to wait so long and then being declined. I have to wait 42 months since I only applied last year (2007 Oct). The idea of going through everything and then being declined fills me with dread. I had 75 points last time I checked,so now I just need to stay out of trouble and stay healthy and not hang out with the wrong crowds. He-he!

Nothing is over until the fat lady sings! Having said that, if the system or points changes after you have submitted your application, rules and conditions that applied at the time that you submitted your application, remain valid. You should not be concerned about your points then. The risk does remain that you may be declined on your medicals if something funny shows up in your tests. I have heard some bad stories where people contract a terminal illness during the time they wait (not Canada specific) or if the child contracts a terminal illness (this actually happened to people whom we know indirectly). As for criminal records, if you abide by the laws then you should not worry. As such, the only variable remains the medicals.

mary.f

Hi Harry,

Thanks for the GREAT post! But I have a favor to ask.... Could you possibly give us the graphs again with maybe updated info? I see its been a year or two since your post with the graphs.... I would like to know if these statistics maybe changed over time. I know this is obviously a HUGE task, but I'm sure lots of us out here would appreciate it. Just to make sure I understand correctly - I am a SA citizen, but in a couple of months, I would have been living in Australia for a year. Do I apply from Australia (Sydney)? And will this be faster than applying from SA? I certainly hope so! If you cannot do this whole graph thing again, could you maybe please point me to the website where you got all this info?

Thanks!!!!!! :)

Tammy

Skilled Worker Class and Business Class applicants - approximately 40 months for a substantive review to take place; if the application is approved, approximately 6 to 8 months to process to completion from the date of the substantive review; if a personal interview is required, approximately 8 to 12 months to process to completion from the date of the substantive review.

http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/southafrica/protime-en.asp

This used to read - Approximately 24-36 months for a substansive review - I know this because i used to read it almost everyday! I have not read it in a while- and was looking for it because I wanted to email cic today - quoting their own Web site, but it seems they've caught on to that.

Since we are only on month 40, I'll have to keep waiting and I've added a new aspect to just aimlessly waiting and waiting, I'll be waiting and hoping.....

See you in the queue

Tammy

Edited by Glenn

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

...almost there Tammy....almost....

Waiting with you to hear the good news, soon! :whistling:

Bondlady

I'm confused.:blink:

From what I've read - from time of application for PR to approval can take anything up to 5 years...

On the CIC site I found this copied below...stating that if applied through PTA - applications take 12 months - down from 73 months before Feb 2008.

Anyone out there apply via PTA after Nov 2008 who received PR within 12 months?

I just cannot see myself waiting for 5 years to get PR - by then my son would have finished high school here...then I may as well go back to plan A & go to NZ where app's take btw 8 & 14 months

Last quarterly update: February 22, 2011

Africa and Middle East Visa Office Processing Times IN MONTHS

<a href="http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/faq.asp#Q9" class="normal">(based on a complete application package) Applications received BEFORE February 27, 2008 Applications received BETWEEN November 28, 2008 and June 25, 2010 Abidjan - Ivory Coast 40 19 Accra - Ghana 86 12 Cairo - Egypt 65 18 Damascus - Syria 82 9 Nairobi - Kenya 72 18 Pretoria - South Africa 73 12 Rabat - Morocco 57 11 Tel Aviv - Israel 49 14

Cronje

Hi Bondlady,

From what I understand the applications after June 2010 goes alot quicker. We are still getting all our docs together and will hopefully submit end of June. I doubt it will be under 12 months but it will definitely not be 5 years.

Good luck.

Tracey22

I'm confused.:blink:

From what I've read - from time of application for PR to approval can take anything up to 5 years...

On the CIC site I found this copied below...stating that if applied through PTA - applications take 12 months - down from 73 months before Feb 2008.

Please do not confuse the two different application streams.

The processing time for applications prior to Feb 2008 is 72+ months.

The processing time for applications after Feb 2008 is 12 months. From the date they started processing our application to date of getting Visas was 9 months. It took them 8 months to strat processing. therefore, from the date of actually submitting the application to getting the visa was 17months for us.

Eager Beaver

The processing time for applications after Feb 2008 is 12 months. From the date they started processing our application to date of getting Visas was 9 months. It took them 8 months to strat processing. therefore, from the date of actually submitting the application to getting the visa was 17months for us.

When did you apply? My application was submitted Nov, 30 2009, so 16 looooong months and counting!! Application says "in process" as of 1 Feb, but I haven't received medical instructions yet. So frustrating to wait this long! But glad I found this forum - it helps to see others who are in the same boatunsure.gif

Really hoping the medicals come soon - anyone got any timelines on how long it takes after status changes to "in process"?

madikwechef

My Application has been at the pretoria office for about 15 months. They only started processing on November 2 2010. I have not heard anything from them though. I have applied for Caips notes to see what exactly is going on right now.

Eager Beaver

What is Caips notes - have read about it on this forum, but no idea what it relates to?

So your status has been "in process" since Nov? That's shocking! My agent advised that the doctor is no longer based in Nairobi, but flies in and out from Canada, so the medicals could be delayed once they get sent to Nairobi depending on whether or not he's there when it arrives.

Someone mentioned something about contacting the minister - any point in trying?

madikwechef

What is Caips notes - have read about it on this forum, but no idea what it relates to?

So your status has been "in process" since Nov? That's shocking! My agent advised that the doctor is no longer based in Nairobi, but flies in and out from Canada, so the medicals could be delayed once they get sent to Nairobi depending on whether or not he's there when it arrives.

Someone mentioned something about contacting the minister - any point in trying?

Caips - Computer Assisted immigration process system.

Basically it's a wealth of information about everything that has been going on in your immigration file. It also contains your original assessment scores, all of your background checks and so forth. You can read more about it here and also see the process for applying for it - http://www.sacanada.org/index.php?showtopic=8722

Who is your agent??? Are you using a immigration consultant? Those guys will tell you any kind of bullcrap under the sun, I am sure that there is not only one person in Nairobi that assesses the medical results. (do you know how many thousands of applications that would be?)

Don't be shocked at the amount of time that an application is in process as I have noticed that the average time right now is about 8 months. I also have a friend whose application has been in process for about 14 months, so it takes time, everyone's case is different depending on what your background checks reveals.

joel

Hello,can some one help me out here,did my medicals june 28,it got to nirobi on the 5 of july,but have not heard anything from pretoria yet. Have anybody who did medicals at the same time with me gotten request for passport?

GAMAWOES

Hello,can some one help me out here,did my medicals june 28,it got to nirobi on the 5 of july,but have not heard anything from pretoria yet. Have anybody who did medicals at the same time with me gotten request for passport?

Nothing here either. We are busy with our PR since April 2009.:angry: