• Admins
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,718 posts
  • SA Location:Pretoria & PE
  • Landed:Jun 2000
  • Language:English/Afrikaans

Posted 25 June 2005 - 11:05 AM

How long does it actually take to get a Permanent Resident Visa

Naturally, this is one of the major questions in this whole process of changing countries to Canada. Folks ask this question before they start the whole process. However, even more folks ask this question once they have already applied, because the wait times can be absolutely soul-shatteringly long.

Recently one of our members pointed out that Citizenship & Immigration Canada, the government department in charge of this whole trauma, has been forced to post the data on how long it actually takes.

I worked through this data and realised they had grouped the information in a way that was possibly not making things quite as clear as they should have or could have ( <_< )

I have therefore taken the data from their site, ignored the misleading continental and regional grouping, and have sorted the data in Excel. I then truned it into a graphic that hopefully makes the whole challenge rather more clear.

The graphic shows, for each city listed, the time it takes to process the first 30% of applications, the first 50%, 70% and 80 %. I have made the first 30% very dark and have sorted the cities by that number. The reason is simple. I have very good reason to believe that there are intentional delays built in for different countries. By looking at how long it takes to do the first 30%, we can get an idea of this intentional delay.

Posted Image

If I were to apply again, I'd go via Mexico or Brazil, if I could get residence and a job there in a short time. Both those offices handle only their own countries. CIC requires you to file from your country of citizenship OR, if you are living elsewhere, you must have lived there for a year. Even if you add a year to any of those, you beat the best South Africa times handsomely.

You do NOT want to apply from Paris, or any of the cities below Pretoria on the list. I do not believe the slow Paris times are related to regular French folks. Thisbecomes obvious when you realise that Paris is responsible for visas not only to people from Andorra, Azores, Belgium, Canary Islands, France, Gibraltar, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Madeira, Monaco, Portugal, Spain and Switzerland, but also from Tunisia, Algeria and Libya.

Rome handles Greece, Italy, Malta, San Marino, Vatican City and Albania.

Pretoria handles not only South Africa, Namibia, Swaziland, Botswana and Lesotho, but also Zambia, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Mozambique and Angola. See how low down it is on the list! Hmmm.

Nairobi beats Pretoria despite handling Burundi, Comoros, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Madagascar, Mauritius, Reunion, Rwanda, Seychelles, Somalia, Tanzania and Uganda

Accra handles Ascension, Benin, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea (refugees), Liberia, Nigeria, Sao Tome e Principe, Sierra Leone, St. Helena, Togo, Tristan da Cunha!

Damascus is the office for Cyprus, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria. Anyone surprised at where it is on the list?

Tel Aviv also handles the Palestinian Territories, though the folks may also use Cairo, where things take on average much longer.

Notice how London does not do particularly well?. It handles Bahrain, Channel Islands, Denmark, England, Faroe Islands, Finland, Greenland, Iceland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Kuwait, Northern Ireland, Norway, Oman, Qatar], Saudi Arabia, Scotland, Sweden, United Arab Emirates, Wales, Yemen

Manila handles Guam, Japan(!!), Johnston Atoll, Kosrae, Marinas, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Midway Island, Northern Mariana Island, Pacific Islands, Palau (Belau), Philippines, Ponape, Truk Island, Wake Island and Yap Island. I suspect the Phillipines and Japan make up 99% of the load there, with the Phillipines in the vast majority.

Contrast all this with Vienna, which handles not only Austria, but also Bosnia-Hercegovina, Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Macedonia, Serbia and Montenegro, Slovak Republic, Slovenia.

I think the patterns are obvious.
Posted Image

#2 Harry

Harry

Vancouver Host

• Admins
  • 6,718 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 07:07 PM

Which place takes TYPICALLY shortest or longest.

To get an idea of this, we take the same data, and sort it in terms of how long it takes to do thefirst 50% of applications. The result is as follows ( Follow the green bar):

Posted Image

Pretoria remains a bit of a problem...always hovering around 28th to 30th from the top.

Notice how Colombo and Tel Aviv have now shifted down the pile?
Posted Image

#3 Harry

Harry

Vancouver Host

• Admins
  • 6,718 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 07:13 PM

Just how bad can it actually get?

In the case of some places, some folks really struggle. It tends to take a long time to get going on their applications and there often seems to be a long line of "stragglers". One sees this when one sorts in terms of how long it takes the relevant High Commission to do 80% of the applications

Posted Image

Notice how Berlin has slipped in this case.

Stll, SA stays in that 28-30th position.
Posted Image

#4 Harry

Harry

Vancouver Host

• Admins
  • 6,718 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 07:17 PM

How long does it take, once they get going on your application.

to get some indication of this, I subtracted the time it takes to get the first 30% done. We then count the time from there. I reckon that takes care to some extent of any secret wait times they built into the process.

Now Pretoria moves up very strongly.

Posted Image

In this picture, Berlin, Tel Aviv and Vienna are seriously bad news.

This picture also explains how it can be that some folks, like some of our church ministers, could have had such quick processing. It also explains the fast processing for folks that land a job from SA after having applied for PRV.
Posted Image

#5 Harry

Harry

Vancouver Host

• Admins
  • 6,718 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 08:29 PM

My preferred list of places to work through, based on all of the above, in descending order of preference, would be:

2 Mexico City
2 Sao Paulo
5 Guatemala City
6 Sydney
6 Port-au-Prince
8 Port of Spain
11 Lima
14 Vienna
15 Kingston
15 Santiago
15 Taipei
16 Caracas
17 Buenos Aires
18 Buffalo
20 Kuala Lumpur
21 Havana
21 Cairo
21 Berlin
21 Rabat
22 Bogota
22 Kyiv
23 London
23 Nairobi
24 Singapore
24 Pretoria
25 Tel Aviv
25 Seoul
26 Rome
27 Paris
27 Beijing
28 Abidjan
28 Islamabad
28 Accra
30 Bucharest
31 New Delhi
32 Colombo
32 Manila
33 Warsaw
35 Ankara
35 Moscow
36 Damascus
37 Hong Kong

To get this ranking, I simply listed each table above, and, if (say) a certain city was 5th in graph1, 7th in graph 2, 12th in graph 3 and 4th in graph 4, then I added these ranking numbers to get 5+7+12+4=28, and then divided by 4 to get the "average position" of the city in the rankings. A high score is therefore bad. This is very unscientific, but gives an indication nonetheless. This way Mexico City was "on average in position" 2 and Hong Kong "on average in position" 37.
Posted Image

#6 Nico

Nico

Immigration Host

• Hosts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • SA Location:Pretoria
  • Landed:Jul 1995
  • Language:Afrikaans/English
  • Interests:I love hiking and learned to snowboard with my kids. I still love the snow!!!!

Posted 29 June 2005 - 10:00 AM

Harry,

Excellent work!!! Thank you for the hard work.

Note of caution - the Immigration & refugee Protection Act regulates specifically the office where you have to file you application. Section 11 of the Immigration & Refugee Protection Regulations states that you have to file where you are residing for at least one year.

Nico
Nico
Barrister & Solicitor
Alberta 13105

#7 Harry

Harry

Vancouver Host

• Admins
  • 6,718 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 09:31 AM

Nico,

I only saw your post today (!?). Sorry 'bout that. As for the caution, see the second sentence after the first graphic in the first post above. :( I prefer the places at the top of the list, DESPITE that condition. They still beat Pretoria! Of course, I have no idea what it takes to get residency in Mexico...maybe that delay nullifies the idea.
Posted Image

#8 adesoji

adesoji

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Language:English

Posted 11 October 2005 - 08:21 AM

Pls is it possible for some one in london (Native of Nigeria ) to apply through london

#9 Harry

Harry

Vancouver Host

• Admins
  • 6,718 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 12:26 PM

adesoji,

Nico can confirm this, but I believe you ARE SUPPOSED TO apply from your country of residence, if you have lived there for MORE THAN ONE YEAR.
Posted Image

#10 nkrombein

nkrombein

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts
  • SA Location:Johannesburg

Posted 13 January 2006 - 09:43 AM

Many thanks Harry - we are having much trouble trying to understand why things take so long just to send us for medicals.

When you say "process first 30%, 50% etc", does that refer to the first percentage of each application, or the first x percentage of each application before it is attended to.

regards
Nolan

#11 Moonstones

Moonstones

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • SA Location:Pretoria
  • Landed:July 2007

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:57 PM

Wow good work Harry!
I think that is the question everyone asks - why does it take upwards of 2 years just to GET to your application, and then they process it within a month or so?

Is this because of a backlog? I mean imagine if the turnaround time was 6-12 months for the whole operation - I would be thrilled!
And if it is a backlog - are they ever going to get rid of it?

Thanks again for that insightful bit of info! ;)

#12 Ann

Ann

Raggedy Ann

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • SA Location:Birch Acres
  • Landed:Apr 1994

Posted 23 March 2006 - 12:04 AM

It must be due to a backlog. When I applied in 1993 my application was submitted towards the end of March and I received my PR visa early November (the same year).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; who put darkness for light, and light for darkness." Isaiah 5:20-21

Raggedy Ann was designed by Johnny Gruelle as a sad tribute to his daughter who suffered such a painful, untimely, smallpox vaccination-related death in 1920.

#13 Nathan

Nathan

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Running, Swimming, Sports, Being outdoors, Spending time with my wife and daughter and appreciating everything that life has to offer. :-)

Posted 31 August 2006 - 06:25 PM

Groete almal! Ek het lank laas op SaCanada gekom, maar ek hoop dat hierdie kort boodskap sal julle in goeie gesondheid vind en dat dalk iemand kan my 'n bietjie help! Nogtans, na die hart van my vraag...

My wife and I have submitted our application for the immigration for her and her daughter to the Mississauga Centre on 6 July 2006 and I received a letter dated 15 August 2006 stating that I was approved as a sponsorer. Not long after that I did a quick online follow up on our application using Immigration Canada's site and saw that the status of our application is now "In Process" in Pretoria. Would any of you happen to know what the estimated time of approval is once an application has reached that stage? I am a born Canadian and some people have told me that that has helped with my application being processed so quickly up unto this point. Once again, I truly hope that someone can help or shed a little light on what our time-line could possibly be from this point on.

Opreg,

Nathan :-)

#14 Jenny

Jenny

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • SA Location:Port Elizabeth and Johannesburg
  • Landed:August 2006

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:13 PM

I have recently gone through the Sponsorship within Canada route and the process took 10 months. I am in a common-law relationship and my partner, who is a PR, sponsored me. We submitted our papers to Vegreville in November 2005, and in mid-July 2006 we were notified that our application had been transferred to Victoria for consideration. Soon after, my partner was informed that he was accepted as a sponsor and that the next step was to assess my suitability. Late last week, I received a letter saying that I needed to present myself at the Victoria office. I went in on Tuesday, answered a few questions and was immediately presented with my PR papers. My passport was stamped by the official and I was welcomed in as a Permanent Resident.

So all in all, a pretty smooth process!!!

#15 Nathan

Nathan

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Running, Swimming, Sports, Being outdoors, Spending time with my wife and daughter and appreciating everything that life has to offer. :-)

Posted 04 September 2006 - 02:09 PM

Thanks for the reply, Jenny :-) Glad to know that this whole process is almost at it's end :-)

#16 Jenny

Jenny

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • SA Location:Port Elizabeth and Johannesburg
  • Landed:August 2006

Posted 05 September 2006 - 08:55 PM

Nathan - for a long time (ie 7-8 months) our application was shown to be in progress, then once it was transferred to the Victoria office, things happened very quickly. My partner was only approved as a sponsor about 5 weeks before I actually became a PR.

Are you and your family in SA? As I said, we submitted our application to Vegreville and it was assessed within Canada. At no point during the process, did my application go through the Pretoria office.

I have been in Canada for 3 years now - came in on a study visa and then converted it to a post-graduate work permit.

Anyway, I am glad it is over - it is a weight off one's shoulders. Good luck with your application.

#17 EvB

EvB

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • SA Location:South Africa
  • Landed:Aug 2008
  • Language:Afrikaans/English

Posted 26 October 2007 - 02:32 PM

here is the link to get you to the detail dope regarding Canada Immigration Act and Regulations. Follow links click on Full doc for printing, print to PDF, save on hard disk - happy reading

Canada Statutes and regulations - Canada Justice Dept
http://laws.justice....l...=I&subject=

EVB

#18 Jean C

Jean C

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • SA Location:Rustenburg
  • Landed:Nov 2005

Posted 09 November 2007 - 08:22 AM

Hooray! Just received our letter in the mail from Buffalo, "CONGRATULATIONS! The processing of your application for permanent residence in Canada is complete." Wow! The nicest sentence I have read in a long time!

We submitted our application exactly today a year ago. We plan to go to Buffalo next Thursday and hand in our passports, do some shopping, fetch our passports and re-enter Canada as LANDED immigrants. Hope this works. They say that, "every effort will be made to have your passports ready on the same day".

I could not have imagined the overwhelming, expolding emotion that one feels when receiving THE letter! I just want to phone, shout it out and dance! YIPEE!

Had to share this with SACanada as I know that most of you will understand.

Jean

#19 Cathy

Cathy

Saskatchewan Host

• Hosts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • SA Location:Johannesburg & P.E.
  • Landed:Jan 2007

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:26 AM

Wonderful news.

The feeling of euphoria has to be experienced to be understood.

#20 Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Citizen

• Members
  • 3,985 posts
  • SA Location:KZN/Pretoria/Table View
  • Landed:Jun 1988

Posted 09 November 2007 - 02:14 PM

Hooray! Just received our letter in the mail from Buffalo, "CONGRATULATIONS! The processing of your application for permanent residence in Canada is complete." Wow! The nicest sentence I have read in a long time!

We submitted our application exactly today a year ago. We plan to go to Buffalo next Thursday and hand in our passports, do some shopping, fetch our passports and re-enter Canada as LANDED immigrants. Hope this works. They say that, "every effort will be made to have your passports ready on the same day".

I could not have imagined the overwhelming, expolding emotion that one feels when receiving THE letter! I just want to phone, shout it out and dance! YIPEE!

Had to share this with SACanada as I know that most of you will understand.

Jean

Awesome news, Jean! ;)
So very glad for you and your family.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users