Sign in to follow this  
Durban_gypsy

Uuum.... I'm new here...

Durban_gypsy

B) Hi guys! ^^"

ok.. I'm new here, and um... lol ok... My name is Tatiana, and I'm 15. I'm living in Brazil at the moment (I am from S.A tho - Durbs!!! lol) , but sounds like we're moving to Canada soon... I'm pretty well settled down here, and im not sure what to expect of Canada ^^"

I'm pretty happy here... I'm an Oriental freak lol and Brazil has the biggest population of japanese out side of japan :D even my bf is japanese lol poor oke

Anyway... My moms part of the board too, so anything I say in here is gonna be checked up on <_< if ni1 wants to chat... just PM me, maybe we can get on messenger sometime ^^'

((BIG HUGZZ)) Tat ;)

Bones

Hi!

Pleased to hear you're coming to Canada! If you're into Japanese culture, Vancouver is a pretty good place for you to be. Asians (i.e. what you'd call "Oriental," which is considered a politically incorrect term here) are the majority in some areas.

I moved to Canada when I was 16, midway through Grade 11, which I had to restart when I got here. It all works out, though.

If you have BC school related questions, direct them my way (I'm a teacher-in-training).

Welcome to SACanada.

Durban_gypsy

*grins* Thanks! ^^" I'm really worried about the move and school and stuff =/ I'm a little behind in my school work, and I'm not sure if I'm going to continue homeschooling or if I'm going to start at a regular school.

If I start at a regular school, I'll be put back a grade or two... I'm fine with that, I guess lol It's just gonna be wired studying with people a few years younger than me, but I know I'll survive lol Is it true that in winter when there's a snow storm or something like that, schools close and it gets taken off summer holidays? And how does summer school work (ok, I know that sounds wired, but I've never been =p)? I know I'm going to have to do summer school when I get up there to catch up...

We're moving to Winnipeg in Ontario, in fact we're moving a little out of town... something like half an hour to the nearest town, 45 min. to the nearest city! I was going like ... <_< OMG!! I'm pretty much a city girl now (I used to live on a farm) so it's gonna be wired lol

Thanks for your welcome :D Hope I didn't ask too many questions =p

Harry

Welcome to SACanada, Durban_gypsy

Please feel free to ask questions and we’ll all pile in and try to help where we can.

As regards school, I leave the questions about "snowdays" to others in the "snowbelt", but I can tell you that many kids, including our own son, were advanced by 6 months when they moved here. So do not ASSUME that you'll be moved back. The SA schooling is pretty good...so don't knock it.

Are you sure there is a Winnipeg in Ontario! B) Last time I looked it was in Manitoba..about 1500 km from Toronto, Ontario!! It is not all that far from the Ontario border though. It is about 600km from Minneapolis in Minnesota. Very artsy place, by the way....Winnipeg, that is.

miena

Hi Durban-gypsy,

Welcome. It rarely happens that you will be put back (unless your parents ask). Based on your year of birth, your grade will be determined. If you were born in 1990 you will be allocated to Gr 10, else if 1989 then Gr 11.

As things are seasonal here, your year will be quite intense between Sep-Dec, first report card (also the fall season is busy with Halloween, winter presparations and then a 2 week break over December). The next "long" haul is winter (Jan - March), very cold and snowdays will be on the TV, radio, etc. It is also fun as your school/community will offer many activities such as hockey, skiing, curling and snowboarding. Great way for you to make friends. Do not be intimated as the local kids could skate before they could walk and you might have to hold on for dear life. B) So what...

March break is when "most" people had enough of the snow and we all go "South", Florida, Cuba. etc. Always an "energizer". Next report card due.

Final haul is Spring and it is jam-packed with book reports, projects, speeches, etc. (Looking for a summer job, etc.). Things tend to "slow" down in June and I found that my kids' "homework" becomes irregular. Kinda more of a fun-attitude in Spring than Fall. Based on my eldests advice, the most important choice you will have to make is subject choices to make sure you will have enough credits for Gr 12. That might determine whether you stay another year (Not uncommon as many kids choose to finish Gr 12 over 2 years..). Ask and we will try and help.