Sign in to follow this  
Guest CharlvS

Driving habits in Calgary

Guest Zordak

Hi all...

You all have probably read that one bloke's views on his site "A few things I wished I knew before moving to Calgary" to be found here: Click this!.

In there the guy mentions that Calgarians are rather ill-mannered drivers. How true is this? Are they as bad as Capetonians? Because we hate the driver mentality here. Can any Calgarians perhaps shed some light on this? :o

Hope you guys had a wonderful weekend.

Cheers!

Charl

Luvette

I have often thought that I find more inconsideration, intolerance, spitefulness and aggressiveness on the roads in Calgary than what I experienced in Cape Town area.

Luvette

Eugene

As a Calgary police officer I can concur that a lot of Cgy drivers are rather poor.

I have to say that I think they are worse that Cape Town (being from CPT myself).

A majority of t-stops i conduct are for: speeding, not stopping at a stop sign, unsignalled lane changes, unsafe left turns, illegal u-turns, seatbelts, and the list goes on.

Honestly, i think that Canada should perhaps implement the k-53 driver training test, like we had in SA.

Rolé

Well, I've been in Calgary for a year now and we have no big complaints. You get the odd driver doing something stupid, but generally it usually all goes smoothly. I have to add here that I stay at home, so don't have to contend with rush-hour traffic, which will probably be a beast of a different colour altogether. But in my day-to-day doings and drivings I can't complain.

Luvette

Eugene, I'm not sure if the K-53 will help. Just my opinion, but I don't think it necessarily a lack of knowledge or skill. I think it is the soft skills that is the problem - consideration etc. And it is contagious, so it becomes a "culture". For example, Mr X jumps in front of me without signalling, then I get mad and charge pass him and cut him off. Or Ms Y doesn't let me in on a merge, so I figure "nobody does it anyway", then I don't do it either.

Just examples, not that I do any of that! :o

Luvette

Trev

Wow!

That guy certainly puts foward a negative view of Calgary. All he seems to do is complain. Either Calgary is a truly awful place to live, he has been extremely unlucky, he is overstating things, or he needs medical (mental) help.

The picture he pains of Calgary is honestly one of the most depressing things I've ever heard, and I live in Johannesburg (crime capital of the world). If what he states there is true, Johannesburg is about 10,000 times better to live in than Calgary.

How accurate is everything this guy says ?

Hi all...

You all have probably read that one bloke's views on his site "A few things I wished I knew before moving to Calgary" to be found here: Click this!.

In there the guy mentions that Calgarians are rather ill-mannered drivers. How true is this? Are they as bad as Capetonians? Because we hate the driver mentality here. Can any Calgarians perhaps shed some light on this?  :(

Hope you guys had a wonderful weekend.

Cheers!

Charl

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

GerhardB
Wow!

That guy certainly puts foward a negative view of Calgary. All he seems to do is complain. Either Calgary is a truly awful place to live, he has been extremely unlucky, he is overstating things, or he needs medical (mental) help.

The picture he pains of Calgary is honestly one of the most depressing things I've ever heard, and I live in Johannesburg (crime capital of the world). If what he states there is true, Johannesburg is about 10,000 times better to live in than Calgary.

How accurate is everything this guy says ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One thing is for sure, the whiners will always be with us. Some people are even very good at that!

I live in Calgary and I drive approximately 70 000km every year. My experience is that the Canadians are very courteous drivers. If you want to change lanes, they will give you a chance. If you want to parallel park, they'll wait until you are done. At a 4-way stop, you go when it is your turn. If you drive too slowly on the highway's fast lane, they won't flash their headlights and they won't try to drive up your zoompipe. If you allow a Calgarian to switch lanes in front of you, you' will most likely get a wave, not just with the one finger, but the whole hand. I think that is fairly neat. And it is not only in Calgary. For the whiners, if they pay attention, they will notice it elsewhere as well.

The Canadians are wonderful people. They are not always the best drivers, especially some of the older drivers, but we'll get there as well. Are they worse drivers than the South Aricans? Catch a wake up! How do these taxi drivers compare with the South African taxi drivers?

The Canadians don't try to change us, they accept us into their country, cities and homes exactly the way we are. Wonderful people and drivers with excellent road manners!

And, for just over 8 years now, nobody has stolen anything from me. My experience is that the Canadians are overall very honest people and I like it! Really!

Gerhard

Trev

Thanks Gerhard, interesting to hear the other side of the argument.

All that this guy seemed to harp on about was that Calgary is expensive, Calgary companies pay low wages, medicine and treatment in Calgary is expensive, parking is expensive, the roads are confusing, the water is poisonous, there are a lot of accidents, car insurance is expensive, people can't afford to live in Calgary, Calgary is expensive, ad infinitum ! In the beginning, and then at the end he does say that Calgary is a great place, but his article is incredibly negative - it's difficult to understand why he is even bothering to stay there.

He also mentions that loads of people try to start businesses in Calgary every year because the wages are so low when they apply for jobs, and most fail. In South Africa (Gauteng) there are almost certainly worse conditions for people starting businesses (BEE etc), yet I know plenty of people that have successfully started and ran their own businesses (myself included), and only a few who have failed. I guess the point is that you have a negative attitude to start out with, you have already failed.

I understand that everyone likes to jump on people for holding this view and say they are being "unrealistic", but really... the reason I want to leave SA is because I have had my car broken into 4 times in the last 5 months, as well as having my previous car stolen, my office broken into, and a variety of other nuisances. I have never had a problem with money despite not having a "job" for the last 10 years. My theory is that some people just automatically have a difficult time because they start off with a negative perception of things - they become cynical, apathetic, and people notice these things, and their situation just goes downhill from there. I'm no psychologist, but that's what I think has happened to this guy.

One thing is for sure, the whiners will always be with us. Some people are even very good at that!

I live in Calgary and I drive approximately 70 000km every year. My experience is that the Canadians are very courteous drivers. If you want to change lanes, they will give you a chance. If you want to parallel park, they'll wait until you are done. At a 4-way stop, you go when it is your turn. If you drive too slowly on the highway's fast lane, they won't flash their headlights and they won't try to drive up your zoompipe. If you allow a Calgarian to switch lanes in front of you, you' will most likely get a wave, not just with the one finger, but the whole hand. I think that is fairly neat. And it is not only in Calgary. For the whiners, if they pay attention, they will notice it elsewhere as well.

The Canadians are wonderful people. They are not always the best drivers, especially some of the older drivers, but we'll get there as well. Are they worse drivers than the South Aricans? Catch a wake up! How do these taxi drivers compare with the South African taxi drivers?

The Canadians don't try to change us, they accept us into their country, cities and homes exactly the way we are. Wonderful people and drivers with excellent road manners!

And, for just over 8 years now, nobody has stolen anything from me. My experience is that the Canadians are overall very honest people and I like it! Really!

Gerhard

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Uitlander

Strictly about driving habits,

if I compare Calgary with Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal and Winnipeg,

the drivers in Calgary are the most inconsiderate and pushy,

with the ones in Montreal a close second.

In Calgary you learn quickly how to not give a damn about sharing the road.

Of course you get used to it and pretty soon all smells like (wild) roses. ;)

(After all, Calgary is in "Wild Rose Country", eh? Wild and ...thorny :( )

In BC you can almost tell the cars from Alberta,

before even looking at the licence plate, by the way they drive :

they have their specific way to be inconsiderate... :(

we have our own here in BC :P .

CharleneK

I've driven in Calgary, and found it okay. I've driven in Vancouver, and found it okay. I've driven in Toronto, and found it scary. I've driven it the Witwatersrand, and found it twice as scary. But I've never been as flabbergasted as when driving in Nanaimo. The driving habits I see here boggles the mind. But aside from that, I have to agree, Canadians are great. This thing about turning into a drooling imbecile when boarding an automobile is a worldwide phenomenon. That's why both Calgary and Vancouver have public transit.

Charlene

CPU

From my experience I use the Deerfoot highway to get to work downtown, and I have to say most drivers like to tailgate (COWBOYS!!) :angry: , must be the need for speed, and than you get the odd ones that drive too SLOW (60 KM) :cry: .

Vancouver also has their fair share of COWBOYS, maybe from Calgary or vice versa, but I find driving in Vancouver less stressful. In general when I drive in Calgary or Vancouver, I basically have to adapt (SUCK IT UP).

Parking downtown is relatively expensive, where I park cost $17.00 per day, $340.00 per month, and $4048.00 a year, YIKES!!! :unsure: Now I take the transit and only drive to work when I have projects on the go, and have to work late nights.

Matisse
I've driven in Toronto, and found it scary.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know this thread is about driving in Calgary, but I'm still curious to know why you experienced driving in Toronto as scary?

I have not been to Calgary or Vancouver, so I have no way to compare their driving with Toronto drivers.

CharleneK

Matisse, I'm no shrinking violet when it comes to driving. My style is assertive (although my mom says it's aggressive.) But Toronto drivers made me feel as if I'm a timid old lady, with their extreme speeds and risky overtaking and lane-changing maneuvres.

Charlene