Sign in to follow this  
Kolla

Alberta : New Teen Driving Regulations

Kolla

Teens accelerate quest for licences

Calgary Herald - Friday, February 28, 2003

"Calgary driver education schools are being swamped by phone calls from teenagers eager to acquire their driver's licences and learner's permits before May 20, the day the province switches to new tougher rules under its graduated driver licensing program.

After that day, drivers 14 and older who earn their Class 7 learner's licence will be subject to a mandatory one-year waiting period before they can test for their Class 5 permit.

Likewise, anyone 16 and older looking for a Class 5 will be subject to the new probationary restrictions under the GDL program.

Under the GDL program, learners cannot drive between midnight and 5 a.m., must have an adult with a non-probationary Class 5 licence sitting next to them and will be allowed only eight demerit points before automatic suspension kicks in.

Once attaining their Class 5 licence, drivers will be placed on a minimum two-year probationary period.

Probationary drivers can have no more passengers than seatbelts in the vehicle, cannot drive commercial vehicles and must take another advanced test to be given a full licence.

They will also be subject to a zero alcohol tolerance, and probationary drivers are allowed only eight demerit points.

These rules apply to drivers of all ages.

The ministry of transportation and the AMA say the GDL program is being brought in to increase safety on Alberta's roads a position supported by studies conducted in Ontario and in the United States by the American Automobile Association where the GDL is already in place.

"The bottom line is 16 is too darn young to be out driving in today's world," said Szarko, provincial spokesman for the Alberta Motor Association. "

Liz

The GDL program is already in effect here in Nova Scotia and I think it is a good thing.

At least you'll be sure the children will be home by midnight!!! :P

debbieD

My daughter isn't happy about this - she has had her learner's since she turned 15 on May 22, 2002. :P:( Shame! I feel bad for her, but them's the rules.

Guest Bob Hodds

is there a waiting period in a affect right now at all for class 7 drivers to get their class 5?

Daniel

Hoor, Hoor

DBotha

Tabbie

As far as I know it it is not new TEEN regulations.. but for ALL new drivers. Like us immigrants... :unsure:

I think it is an excellent idea though. This law would ensure everyone is safe on the roads!!!

Guest Guest
:angry: I think the gdl is just :whistling: stupid, and another way for the alberta government/dmv's to make more money. MONEY SCAM! ...Cant they give anyone a break? No wonder alberta is a :rolleyes: hole that many r now tryin to leave.

Guest a fourteen year old trying to ge

:D:holy::o:cry::holy::lol::sleep::magic:B):P:hug:

i dont get it

u can still get licence

Guest Guest_Andrew

I think that teenagers should be subject under teh law..studies show that people over 25 years old have less accidents then the teenagers do..I live in Ontario and we had this now for 10 yeras garduated drivers licence program...we had it because our preimeir Bob Rae at that time claimed it was to save lives and that we had a major insident with teenagers drinking and got into a big accident...alot of it is a rip off the costs involved to just add money into the Governments coffiers...yet the roads in Ontario have not improved or changed......the younger people under a certin age should go under the Graduated drivers as they are not as serious of responsibilities as the older people are...in some states it is only ifg you are under a certin age the Graduated program is in effect wehn you are older the same regular program is in effect....

dlam

How many immigrants have "probationary" on their class 5 Alberta drivers license? It is printed on our drivers license and I have no idea why. Does this also mean that we are being treated under the same rules as the teenagers ?

Guest dJwind

do i got to be a residense in calgary to get my learners beucas ei am staying here for about 2-3 months and i would like to drive and how old do you must be to get your learners :cry::ph34r:

Guest F!!!!!!&

I think the GLD is the stupidist thing since gun regestration, why can't learners drive after 12 they make good DD's (designated driver) when you may have had too much to drink.And why the 2 year probationary $h!t.

And the rules like no more passengers than seat belts, it's always been like that, and the 8 demerit points thing I got 3 words, where all Srewed! O and Mr.Szarko Provincial Spokesman dude 16 is not too young when you have a life!

Guest C

yeah.. do you have to LIVE in alberta to obtain your permit. Cause i visit often and i would like my permit. But i dont live there although i'm a citizen.

Guest N!

Most of what I've read has been "Kids" complaining about the new licence laws. Here are my comments on what I've read so far!!

If noticed that none of you can seem to spell correctly! If you haven't taken the time to learn something as simple as that, then how can we expect you to be SAFE on our roads?? GROW UP and learn something from this!!

Driving is way more complicated than learning how to spell. The Alberta Government is doing us all a big favour.

SAVING LIVES!!

Guest N!

In last posting, should be I've, not If!!! (Not a spelling error, just didn't re-check content!! Ooops!

Guest Guest_Tony

I was wondering if any one knows polocy for level 7 drivers with motor bikes...

if you have any info, sent it to me at

AnthonyL100@hotmail.com :unsure:

Guest having a laugh

so far you all sound like children to me, ohh your spelling sucks!, who gives a flying f***, the whole english language is goin to the sh**er because of the internet so who cares? i just got my N, i live in B.C. i see drivers who are 30 who drive faster and more dangerously then i do, half the accidents that new drivers are in involve class 5 drivers some how, this is just another "quick fix" for the government i think you should stop :lol: and deal with it!

Guest Guest_Amanda

i think that we should just keep the same regulations we have had for so many years. if teenagers want to drive wreckless and lose their lives its their choice. there is no sense in changing it now. even if it is changed then people will still drive illegally because teenagers dont care. trust me, im a teenager and i know. so i think they should stay the way they are now. ;):P:D

Guest C
:) The graduated licensing laws are ludacris. Since when is sixteen too young to drive? It wasn't for our parents, why should it be for us? If anything, sixteen year old's now are more informed and educated on the dangers of driving, and most have been affected by alchohol related deaths of friends or family. Give kids a chance

Guest mikedd

*** inappropriate posting removed ***

Edited by Hendie

Guest carguy

you guys are stupid if they want to drive they will drive anyway you can't stop us and the probationary stuff is gay and you adults need to loosen up

Guest Guest_dave

i think that the gdl is unfair because the kids today dont have a chance to drive i think 17 yaers old u shoud have you lisnce and not half to wait a year

;):ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::(:ph34r:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:;):o:huh::P

Guest Guest

I live in bc, and i dont think that these rules are a good idea. im a teen of this century, and... the way i see it ... is there are going to be alot more accidents. see with the old rules, teenagers would have one designated driver for the night who made sure all the drunk, or high ppl get home safe! with the new rules here in BC, there is only alloud one passenger in the car with you at one time. so, this is going to cause all of the drunk and high new drivers, that would have been driven home by the designated driver;who can now only make sure one person gets home safe, will be driving themselves home... all DRUNK AND HIGH! if people odnt realize that this is going to cause alot more accidents, and alot more deaths... than im sorry, but you may be the one losing your kid next. wake up and look around, most of the accidents arent caused by the new drivers of today, they are caused by adults, depressed because they lost a bf, or a job, so they go out and get hammered as hell, and drive home. IF NOT THAT! its because, hmm ... EVERYONE GETS IN ACCIDENTS SOMETIME! it just happens. i think the rules are just set, by the old people in our coke head government. adults/old people, have to blame things on the teens, makes them feel better because they know we are just as smart, and just as good at things as they are, and they are a hell of alot older than us. w.e im done with this :yawn:. just know, that all of these new rules, will make the death rate for car accidents... go way way up!

be prepared

I dont agree with these new rules at all, and am sorry for n eone who loses their kids because of them.

Ashley

Merv

Gosh, what a pleasure to read such a string of well put together, structured and eloquent postings. :cry:

Guest Moo A Merh

You can't really fight, drivers in alberta, especially Calgary suck. I think the GDL is a good idea, but handled the wrong idea. There are alot of crappy drivers here, and instead of having all this curfew crap they should have everyone attend driving classes in order to get their lisence. Not driving between midnight and five isn't going to make you a better driver. :D The gov't will realise they're taking a wrong approach on this, but till then, what can you do but chill and follow the rules? :D