Sign in to follow this  
Harry

RAAI-RAAI Rides Again!

Harry

Adele,

you are thinking of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", which folks thought meant "LSD". I do not believe the word "psychedelic" appeared as such...although they sang about "...the girl with kaleidoscope eyes"

That's my trivia for today.

GOOD HEAVENS.....the TV is playing behind me and, as I hit the button to post....Rick Mercer appeared on the TV saying "it is the year 1967. The first heart transplant operation has been performed and the Beatles release "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely hearts Club Band"....the very LP Adele is talking about!

THIS IS UNCANNY!!

Harry

RAAI-RAAI 126

Still staying with Canadian Matters Historic...at least kinda...:

This is the moon rising over a historic coastal town.

A. What is its name?

B. Where is it?

moon.jpg

CLUES:

1. The folks who first settled here were from Continental Europe in 1750-52: Germany, Switzerland and the then County of Montbeliard.

2. They came to Canada under the auspices of the British Government and the Governor of this part of the country.

3. They were known as "Foreign Protestants".

4. The town was laid out, however, in square British style.

5. Its name remains German/germanic.

6. Towns with the same name also occur in The Netherlands and the United States...Virginia, Massachusetts and Vermont, to be precise.

7. There is also one with a VERY nearly identical name in South Africa ( it is pronounced the same way)...in the Balelesberg.

Those are a LOT of clues....should be more than enough...8 actually :o

Merv

Would that be Lunenberg?

Harry

That would be correct, Merv....actually LunenbUrg

More on Lunenburg here and here from our August 2004 visit.

The SA version is Luneberg...cute place, worth a visit. The road west from there to Wakkerstroom is also very very scenic

Merv

Yislaaik but sometimes (only sometimes :o ) I get clever (actually the reference to the moon gave it away to me and of course the German sounding name). My wife has been there on a conference and loved the place, very British in nature.

Harry

RAAI-RAAI 127

Still staying with Canadian Matters Historic...and keeping the buildings in it...which keeps digin digging:

This is a time exposure of a signifcant building

A. What is the building?

B. Where is it?

C. Who is the "more recent decent politician" referred to in the clues below?

D. Who is the "French Prime Minister" referred to in the clues below?

E. Who is the son in the "father-and-son combination."

building.jpg

CLUES:

1. At the building is a statue to a more recent decent Canadian politician

2. This politician shares a surname with the only father-and-son combination in Springbok rugby history to both captain the team.

3. Few people know that the name is also shared by a somewhat infamous and very powerful historic French Prime Minister who is the "bad guy" in quite a few swordfighting movies. He created the Compagnie des Cents-Associés (Company of One Hundred Associates) and recruited investors for Champlain's Canadian efforts. He thought this "Canada thing" was "a good thing". So for us he's the good guy...OKAY! :lol:

4. That particular Prime Minister was also of the clergy!! :lol:

5. Yes, of course the Fleur de Lys features on the flag on the tower...jô!!

Find the Springbok, and you solve "the riddle". The building is fairly obvious after that. Alternatively you can just know French or Canadian history... ;)

Do take a shot at this one

Dana

RAAI-RAAI 128

1. What is this metal 'contraption' used for?

CLUE: Out of 40 'units', 39 of it evaporates

post-170-1113171381_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dana

Harry

Dana,

I cannot make out what in the picture is real and what is a reflection! The tray at the bottom foreground appears to be reflected..as as the "scoop". But I cannot understand what is going on with the second tray that is higher up...it looks like it might be a reflection but then where is the actual tray?....totally confused!

So, can you help a bit?

Dana

There are two deep trays and they're interlinked.....the stuff starts off in the top tray at the back and lands up in the right hand side of the front tray. There is also a lot of steam, hence the reflections. This process can take up to 10 hours at a time.

This normally happens only in early spring, as the day/night temperature plays a big role.

Edited by Dana

thelategans

How about the process of making maple syrup.

Stuart

Charles

It's a machine used to make Maple Syrup or Maple sugar.

Rochelle

A. What is the building?

It's the Quebec Parliament building, home of the National Assembly of Quebec.

B. Where is it?

Quebec City

C. Who is the "more recent decent politician" referred to in the clues below?

This refers to Maurice Duplessis, Canadian lawyer and political leader. Elected in 1927 to the Quebec legislature, he was leader (1933–35) of the provincial Conservative party. A founder of the Union Nationale, a French Canadian nationalist party, Duplessis became premier and attorney general of the province of Quebec in 1936, when the party was victorious in the elections. He was defeated in 1939 on the issue of Canadian conscription for World War II but was reelected in 1944. He remained in office, as both premier and attorney general of Quebec, until his death in 1959.

Heehee, why does Harry say he is "decent"? Maybe because he built his reputation by exposing the misconduct and patronage of the Liberal government! :lol:

And very clever, Harry, throwing in that Fleur de Lis clue without anybody noticing! That is because our man Duplessis made one of his most enduring contributions to Quebec with the adoption of an official Flag of Quebec, the fleurdelysé, which replaced the Union Jack at the top of the Quebec Parliament Building.

D. Who is the "French Prime Minister" referred to in the clues below?

It refers to Cardinal Richelieu, who was born Armand Jean du Plessis. He took the name Richelieu from the name of his family's estate. And yes, he was quite the "bad guy". He is quoted as saying "If you give me six lines written by the most honest man, I will find something in them to hang him.

E. Who is the son in the "father-and-son combination."

Felix and Morne du Plessis is the only father and son combination to captain South Africa in tests (1949 and 1975).

NEEEEEXT!

Edited by Rochelle

Harry

Brilliant , Rochelle....in what order did you crack it?

P.S. The "decent" was borrowed from a Vancouver Sun article of yesterday morning.

Regarding the way I slip the clues in...I train for that daily by writing patents for a living :lol: ...and I'm up against some seriously devious folks.

I tinkered with the thought of puttng that precise quote down as a clue, but figured that would make it way too easy to search.

I always told the U Stellenbosch students I knew that their professor Jan du Plessis is actually Richelieu...and they would not believe me. So I had to lay it out for them.

I lo-o-o--o-ve history. It is infinitely weirder and more outrageous than fiction. Who would have thought that I'd be living in Vancouver because of Richelieu!

Ja-well-no-fine....now I'll have to think up another one. I hope that was the right mix of entertaining and challenging

Liz

Yes, those metal trays are used for making maple syrup.

Rochelle

Thanks Harry! Hmmm, I've never really been into history (2 of my mottos in life are 1. What is done, is done and 2. Try everything at least twice - so all of that "learning from history" doesn't apply to me!).

But I am both a research and Internet nut, so I looooove this stuff - any topic. I've often wondered whether I could actually make some money using this "skill" ... ;)

Anyway, keep 'em coming. It's nice to get the brain working after 8pm at night and a day spent talking baby-language!

Oh, and I happened to know about Cardinal Richelieu - I never missed an episode of "Brakanjan en die 3 musketiers" as a kid! And I knew the rugby Du Plessis thing too - being married to a self-proclaimed rugby historian does that to you... Then the rest was easy after an initial hiccup with Duplessis (one word!).

Harry

RAAI-RAAI 129

AND Still staying with Canadian Matters Historic...and keeping the buildings in it...:

This is clearly a church:

A. What is its name?

B. Where is it?

C. Who is the "Irishman" referred to in the clues below?

D. Where did he live?

church.jpg

CLUES:

1. A church was built here in 1683.

2. The featured building was started in the first quarter of the 19th century.

3. It was completed in it first form in the 1840's and bits were later added.

4. The designer was an Irishman.

5. At the time it was built, it was the largest church building in North America.

Digin knows this one....he's been to the place and I know he would have gone to look at this particular building.

This one's easy...a landmark building.

digin

I certainly have - I've actually just finished my series of photostories on my travels last Fall - and I will be posting it soon. One of the days features a long discussion of this very building!

So once someone has got it, I'll post up all the photostories...

Adele

Just a guess,

A. What is its name?

Notre Dame Basilica

B. Where is it?

Montréal, south side of the Place d'Armes

C. Who is the "Irishman" referred to in the clues below?

James O'Donnell

D. Where did he live?

New York

Rising on the south side of the Place d'Armes, Notre Dame Basilica is in the same location as Montréal's first parish church, built in 1627. The basilica was constructed in 1829, a twin-towered, neogothic structure which was designed by James O'Donnell, a Protestant who is said to have been converted to Catholicism during the building process. He is buried under the church. Fourteen stained glass windows trace the history of Ville-Marie. The church can seat 5,000; the organ has 5,772 pipes.

The eastern tower, known as "Temperance" houses a carillon of ten bells. In Perseverance, the western tower, hangs "le grand bourdon", the heaviest bell in the western hemisphere. It was in La Basilique de Notre-Dame that Céline Dion was married in 1994.

The Irish architect James O'Donnell emigrated to New York in 1812. When he was approached about drawing up the plans for Notre-Dame, he had just finished Christ Church in New York and was completing the First Presbyterian Church of Rochester. He renounced the Protestant faith just before his death on 28 January 1830 in order to embrace Catholicism, and this allowed him to be buried under his church (at the foot of the first pillar on the side of the churchwarden's pew).
Edited by Adele

Harry

Drat...these darn women! :D:(

Well done, Adele!

Please post your photo-story, digin. We'd like to see!

digin

You can now read more about the Church in the Montreal section of my photojournal over here.

Harry

RAAI-RAAI 130

AND now now moving away from Canadian Matters Historic...but keeping the buildings in it...:

Questions:

A. What is the building in the picture called ( as in "The #####")

B. What is the name of the abbey on the grounds of which this very pretty building stands?

C. Which Province is it in and near which major regional town?

D. The abbey overlooks a lake. What is its name?

E. The lake is famous in its own right for an intriguing reason...what is it?

F. Which country did the monks come from that founded the Abbey.

G: What is the Order of the monks of the Abbey?

F : WHat is the "interesting trait" referred to below?

5-04-23chapel.jpg

CLUES:

1. The actual abbey was built during WWII.

2. It shares an interesting trait with the Vatican

3. The lake has a name that is reminiscent of the Afrikaans name of one of South Africa's truly strangest and rarest mammals.

4. I promise you the English name for the animal has nothing to do with a very recent Johnny Depp movie.

5. The same said Depp once blamed a specimen of the American cousin of this animal for wrecking his hotel room !!! :angry::) The man is truly nuts.

...happy hunting!! Where's Rochelle!?

Adele

A. What is the building in the picture called ( as in "The #####")

(answer) The St-Benoît Tower

B. What is the name of the abbey on the grounds of which this very pretty building stands?

(answer) ST-BENOÎT-DU-LAC ABBEY

C. Which Province is it in and near which major regional town?

(answer) Quebec, near the village of Austin.

D. The abbey overlooks a lake. What is its name?

(answer) Lake Memphremagog.

E. The lake is famous in its own right for an intriguing reason...what is it?

(answer) Two reasons actually. The Traversée is a major international event that attracts competitors from around the world. And of course, (I think this is the answer Harry wants) there is Memphré, the fabled serpent, which according to legend has inhabited the lake for centuries.

F. Which country did the monks come from that founded the Abbey.

(answer) They were exiled French monks who arrived in Canada from Belgium.

G: What is the Order of the monks of the Abbey?

(answer) Is it the Benedictine Monks??

F : WHat is the "interesting trait" referred to below?

(answer) The Abbey, along with its 225 hectares (560 acres) of land, is actually a municipality unto itself, a kind of Vatican City in miniature

Have I missed something?

Harry

Congratulations....Good for you, Adele! I was really looking for Magog as the major local town, but that's good enough

and, No, you did not miss anything...but here are the remaining questions:

1. What is the SA mammal called in Afrikaans? Ietermagog

2. What is it called in English? Pangolin

3. Which movie am I talking about. Finding Neverland

4. What is the connection between the movie and the animal? Peter Pan(golin)

5. What is the American cousin called? an Armadillo

How did you get the answer?...or have you been there?

Adele

Hi Harry,

Like Rochelle, I am an internet buff. Love Google and just did some snooping. The first was Johnny Depp's clue to a messy room. Found out it was an Armidillo. Surfed some more with the clue about am abbey with a Vatican similarity. That was the give away. I came upon a site for tourists that uses a similiar picture to the one you posted. I never did figure out about the Finding Neverland and Peter Pan clue.

Time to find the info: 8 minutes.

I enjoyed reading up about the Abbey and found out that it hosts overnight guests Men and Women separately at a cost of $40 per night. Room and Board.

No I have never been there. But with all these Raai Raai's it certainly helps to put places on a list of what I would like to see more of.

digin

RAAI-RAAI 131

This building is the oldest operational building of its type in one of our Canadian Provinces. What is the name of this building?

post-427-1114529142_thumb.jpg

Clues:

1. I smudged the name of the building on the photo, as it would give the game away.

2. A popular TV series contains a building with the same name.

3. I briefly and indirectly mentioned this TV series elsewhere on SACanada.

Edited by digin