Sign in to follow this  
Harry

RAAI-RAAI Rides Again!

shaun

Answers to the clues (in no particular order):

6) Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

5) Fanny Appleton Longfellow died 1861 from severe burns.

1) Paul Revere

3) Paul Revere rode on horseback to warn Boston that the Brits where coming

4) Paul Revere's father was a French Hugenot (Apollos Rivoire) , so I presume the names outside on the monument might be French names similar to those found in SA??

I can't get the building though. Everything points to Massachusetts in the USA.

Harry

Shaun,

Longfellow is indeed correct....I thought I made that too easy :cry:

The names are indeed French. Roux...Le Roux...Hugo... and Fouche. The last name is part of my own genealogy. Quite a couple of other standard Afrikaans surnames occur.

I understand from one of their descendents (whose ancestors were ironically actually Hugenot), that they'd revolve at high speed in their graves if you called them Hugenots

It is definitely not Paul Revere, because I only post Canadian places!

Good shot...but you get half of a cigar! ;)

Would you like to try another? The giveaway clue about the general area is in the picture...provided you recognise what is there. ;)

When you get it...I'll post the outside view!

shaun

Thats what I though..... you only post Canadian.

Ok I'll give it another go..... looking at the French flag and thinking .....Quebec

Harry

Shaun,

though it looks identical as folded...the flag is actually not the French flag. It is certainly based on the French tricolor... but the differentiating bits are hidden in the folds. This is a distinct part of Canada, with a distinct culture, It is kinda French, but it is NOT Quebec!

The relevant piece of history is very tragic and is a rather infamous bit of British legacy. These folks had lived in peace with the local First Nations for much more than a century and had wrested their breadbasket countryside from the sea with hard work, dedication and ingenuity. What was done to them was utterly unforgivable.

If you like eating out, "Cajun" food might feature on your diet....where do you suspect that word comes from? I really liked the folks I met there. This is another part of the world where a handshake means something.....even the tiniest and most unpretentious house in those parts was strikingly well looked after...a mark of pride.

shaun

MMmmm...... the statue inside is of Evangeline.

shaun

Grand Pre. Acadians settlers settled there in 1680, but where deported by the Brittish in 1755. The area is in the Minas Basin, NS.

The statue of Evangeline is inside the chapel where the Brittish gathered together all the Acadians and told them to leave.

I too like the east coast people. My 'best' Canadian friend is one. What an absolute gentleman!

shaun

Some interesting Geography wrt the Minas Basin. The tidal flow at Cape Split which drains the basin is more that the total of all the rivers and streams in the world, some 14 cubic Kilometers of water every 6 hours.

Harry

Shaun, well done!

I'm not so sure the statue inside is of the fictitious Evangeline, but the one outside certainly is.

5-03-27evangeline.jpg

The place in the original picture is, of course, the memorial chapel at Gran Pre. This is where the British rounded up all the Acadians ( Cajuns) and put them on boats and deported them from their "beloved Acadie".

Longfellow wrote the poem about Evangeline, the fictitious Acadian girl.

I was much taken with these superb folks.

The gentleman at the museum and I were comparing surnames. I would pronounce it the Afrikaans way and he would do it his way with much nodding and approval and then find it on the list!

shaun

Google images search (Evangeline statue), last picture on third page.

Harry

I'm not sure exactly when the actual Grand Pre was settled, but the French settled Acadie in 1604 at Port Royale up the road from there....the earliest ( barring the possible Viking site of Newfoundland)...This made the Acadian settlement the earliest in Modern history in Canada.

Harry

Shaun,

hmmm... found it on Google! I never checked it at the time I was there, but the differences between the outside and inside "statues" were so great, and the outside one is so much the internationally standard image ( eg millions of little statues sold), that I never assumed the one inside to represent the same "person". I'll have to go back one day and actually read the inscription.

The 400-year celebration of L 'Acadie is HERE.

Harry

RAAI-RAAI 124

Still staying with Canadian Matters Historic:

This is a historic site.

A. What is its name?

B. Where is it?

C. What is the siginificance of the site?

5-03-22horse.jpg

CLUES:

1. There was a defining battle at this spot that set the future of Canada

2. One of the two sides climbed up the cliffs up to this piece of flat ground before the battle

3. The leaders on both sides died directly as a result of the battle.

This stuff is kind of important to know to become a real Canadian, in my opinion.

shaun

Was the pic taken at Niagara-on-the-lake. The place between upper and lower Canada.

Answers:

A. Fort George built in 1802

B. Niagara on the lake

C. British Headquarter for the Central Division during the war of 1812. This is where General Sir Isaac Brock was killed by the invading USA troops. Fort was destroyed in 1813 during the Battle of Fort George.

If all of the above is incorrect then I'll have to start again with Dundurn Castle, but I think I'm on the right track by looking at that horse drawn carriage, there's plenty of them in Niagara on the Lake.

digin

The horse and cart looks like those in Quebec City, and I would think this is the Plains of Abraham, where the British climbed up the cliffs led by Wolf. Both the French commander, Montcalm, and Wolf died of their wounds.

BTW, the British won. If things were different... Nous devrions savoir le français avant d'immigrer au Canada.

shaun

Eish!! Me thinks I got this one sooooooo wrong!!! ;):cry:;)

Edited by shaun

Harry

Shaun,

digin has it ( he visited there, remember!)....this was the decisive battle that gave Canada to the British. They pulled a couple of clever tricks on the French, whose army was, I guess, not really up to par with the Brits at that point.

The tricks included taking some French women captive and then releasing them and realising that they could get out the side of the slope in those parts relatively easily..I guess that's where the idea of climbing up was born. They also had earlier skirmishes with quite a lot of casualties. The French ethical conduct code meant that the British wounded were treated in the Quebec hospital...that way Wolfe ended up knowing quite a lot about what was going on in the City before the actual battle.

You can read the whole thing HERE.

Digin, yeah...I guess if had turned out the other way round I may have had to learn to speak French. Somehow, I think the Brits would have tried again, though. They came with an enormous fleet for the job, you know.

shaun

With out starting a huge klei-lat war. Did the British ever actually find new lands and countries, or did they just invade everyone else???

digin

RAAI-RAAI 125

This is a close-up of a car that I photographed somewhere in BC. I've taken a close-up because I did not want to give the game away too quickly as the car is pretty famous. Where did I take it, and whose car was it originally?

raairaai125.JPG

1. The original owner was a singer / songwriter!

2. This car originally came in black. However, the singer wanted it changed to another colour. When asked what colour he wanted, he replied "Psychedelic!", and so this is what he got.

3. It was bought by a Canadian tycoon, one of whose businesses is cleverly hidden in this Raai Raai. I imagine he paid quite a bit for it.

4. If you need any more help, at least 3 of the songs by the group the singer belonged to and/or the songwriter on his own have one-word titles - and, believe it or not, you can find these 3 words in the text of this raai-raai.

Edited by digin

Postmas

The Analytical Research Laboratory of CCI was recently given the unusual opportunity to examine paint samples from a 1965 Rolls-Royce automobile once owned by former Beatle John Lennon (1940-1980). The car was purchased by a Vancouver entrepreneur at Expo 86 and later donated to the Royal British Columbia Museum, where it currently resides. As seen in the photograph, this is not just an ordinary Rolls-Royce. In 1967, the car was painted in a brightly coloured floral motif on a yellow background by one of Lennon's friends, known as 'Gypsy Dave'. Knowledge of the type of paint used would help conservators determine the best way to clean the surface of the car and protect it from paint losses and other damage, so Valerie Thorp, Chief of Conservation Services at the museum, requested the paint analysis from CCI.

Harry

Ag nee man, Postmas...the Beatles are my department! ;) jô!

John Lennon outraged the then owners of Rolls-Royce cars when he had his painted up like this.

digin

Harry, since you are a Beatlemaniac, show us your stuff and let us know the names of the 3 Beatle songs that are hidden in the text of the Raai Raai!

All are one-word titles, 2 are easy and the other is a bit harder.

Also, who is the Canadian entrepreneur who bought the car, and which business does he own that is also hidden in the text of the Raai Raai?

Harry

Help ( about 1964).....

......Because ( on the Abbey Road LP around 1969)

...and Imagine, which I imagine you imagine is a Beatle song, but it was a Lennon song, not a Beatle song! ;)

Did I miss one? This was just shooting from the hip.....there are other words like "car" from "Baby you can drive my car!"...which is appropriate here. I think that one was on the Revolver LP.

These four kids had an unbelievable influence on the world...as demonstrated recently be the Russian Minister of Defence, who hugged Paul McCartney and said "you changed my life!". It is so bitterly sad that they are now just two.

digin

Yep Harry, you got them! I meant to in the Raai Raai put the slash between group / songwriter like this, but somehow in my tiredness last night I messed up.

Ok, so just about all of the Raai Raai is solved, except for the matter of the identity of the Canadian entrepreneur and the name of the business he owns mentioned in the Raai Raai.

Adele

The word "Psychedelic" was in the St Pepper's Lp in one of the songs if I am not mistaken. The name eludes me right now. Just not thinking clearly.

"During the making of Sergeant Pepper John decided to have the Rolls-Royce painted. Colour and design were of the utmost priority and he employed a firm of barge and caravan designers to do it for him. The idea came to him when he bought an old gypsy caravan for the garden." -- Cynthia Lennon, from her book, "A Twist of Lennon", page 142.

Digin, I believe the owner might be Mr. Jim Patterson? He acquired it in 1985

Jun. 29, 1985 The Cooper-Hewitt Museum auctions the Rolls-Royce at Sotheby's in NY, where it is purchased by Canadian billionaire Jimmy Pattison for US$2,200,000. The Phantom V was then loaned to Expo ‘86 in Vancouver (Chairman: Mr. Jim Pattison) for exhibition. The American title was transferred from Ripley International Inc. to Jim Pattison Industries Ltd., in Canada (Mr. Jim Pattison is a well-known British Columbia business man.)

I was under the impression that he had donated it away again???

In 1987, Mr. Pattison presented the car as a gift to Her Majesty in Right of the Province of British Columbia and displayed in the Transportation Museum of British Columbia at Cloverdale (near Vancouver).

Then, in 1993, the car was transferred from the Transportation Museum and sent to the Royal British Columbia Museum in Victoria, British Columbia. Here the car would be kept for secure storage, displayed only for fund-raising and occasional use. The car was serviced and maintained by Bristol Motors of Victoria.

From 9 March 1996 to 15 September 1996, John Lennon’s Rolls-Royce Phantom V was displayed at the National Museum of Science and Technology in Ottawa, with as passenger a sculpture of John by Joanne Sullivan.

Thers is a good deal more of infomation at this Beatlology site.

Edited by Adele

digin

So there you have it. Jim Pattison, who owns the Ripley's Believe it or Not franchise (as well as a host of media, transport [car + shipping] and food retail interests) bought the car for Vancouver's Expo, but it can now be seen gracing the entrance to the Royal British Columbia Museum in Victoria.