Sign in to follow this  
Harry

RAAI-RAAI Rides Again!

Harry

I should think a Nova Scotian would figure this one out! And so, the answer is?

How 'bout you tell the folks in SA this crazy story, Brad.

Actually, under normal circumstances, the bulbs come on when the tide goes out, so to speak.

Now we have all the SA folks utterly confused, because both the power generation and the thing they are looking at could only have happened together at this one area on the Earth. I still cannot figure out exactly how the thing got to the wrong side of the road!

Hendie

lisabella, sounds like your pictures are of something like Baardskeerdersbos or something, and not in Canada, you may not have noticed that this thread is for the benefit of South Africans and displays Interesting places & sights in Canada. :)

Liz

Harry, I only saw the photo of PEI after someone had already answered it!

Are these people all looking at the whale that got in where it shouldn't have?

BevBrad
Now we have all the SA folks utterly confused, because both the power generation and the thing they are looking at could only have happened together at this one area on the Earth. I still cannot figure out exactly how the thing got to the wrong side of the road!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Harry,

This really was a strange event to say the least. I recall that the it was it no real hurry to leave as the place was teeming with food!

Brad

ANNAPOLIS ROYAL, Nova Scotia — A hydroelectric plant in Nova Scotia has been shut down after a wayward whale swam through the facility's underwater gates in the Atlantic Ocean.

Officials said the 6-meter (20-foot) humpback was chasing a school of herring late Monday when it passed through the sluice gates of the Annapolis Tidal Power Plant, which generates electricity from the flow of the Bay of Fundy's record-high tides.

The whale was still trapped in the plant's so-called head pond by late Tuesday. Officials have asked boaters to stay away from the area.

"The whale made some attempts to go back to the gates, but the presence of boaters may have been a distraction," said Margaret Murphy, spokeswoman for Nova Scotia Power.

Murphy said the utility is working with federal fisheries officials in a bid to coax the mammal through the facility's 9-meter-wide (30-foot-wide) gates and back into the bay.

The 20-year-old plant generates electricity twice a day when the bay's tides flow in and out through the gates. The plant was shut down because officials were concerned the whale could get trapped in its turbine.

Jerry Conway, spokesman for Canada's Fisheries Department, said the whale did not appear to be in immediate danger.

The plant, which is one of only three tidal power plants in the world, produces more than 30 million kilowatt hours per year — enough to power 4,000 homes.

Harry

And there you have it...for the Nova Scotians themselves!

Only in Canada... :D

digin

RAAI-RAAI 119

I found this intriguing flag somewhere in Canada. It was at a Fish & Chip's shop in a small village. Which village was it?

raairaai120.JPG

Clues:

(1) This village is at the mouth of a famous river that has its headwaters in an area named after a variety of Quartz.

(2) It was founded in 1882 (hence the Queen Victoria flag) by a group of brothers who gave their name to the town.

(3) If you rearrange the letters of the words SWAN'S SWEAT, you will get the name of the First Nation peoples that lived here.

(4) The area around the village is now famous for its bird watching, though more for geese than swans!

Edited by digin

djb

Ladner/Delta/Tsawwassen :D

I believe you are looking for Ladner.

Rob

LADNER

Named after the Ladner brothers in 1882, famous for the 25 000 swans and the first nation tribe "tsawassen".

The quartz headwaters has me stumped, coz the Fraser river's headwater is Mount Robson.

Thanks

Rob :D

digin

Well done, the town is Ladner, home of the Tsawwassen (Swan's Sweat). It's home to the Rifel Bird Sanctuary, which has 20 000 Snow Geese arriving each year.

The river is of course the Fraser River, which mouths here in Delta, and originates at Mount Robson in the Jasper area. Jasper was the reference to Quartz.

Harry

RAAI-RAAI 120

What building is this and where is it in Canada?

buildhq.jpg

Clues:

1. It stands to reason that it should be where it is.

2. It represents the first establishment of its kind in Canada.

3. It is NOT a government building..at first I thought it was.

4. All the clues you need are in the picture...all ONE of them.

DEAD EASY!... :D

Hendie

The logo on that flag looks awfully much like that of Bank of Montreal, only difference is that on the flag it's blue.

2023218logo_financialgroup.gif

So I would hazard a guess that it's BMO's headquarters in Montréal ?

Harry

That's right, Hendie. Bank of Montreal Headquarters in Montreal

Actually the BMO stuff is usually blue. Also, they are in fact the oldest bank in the country.

digin

RAAI-RAAI 121

While we are on the subject of businesses, what business lies directly opposite this corner? In fact, I am standing taking this photo from the floor of the business which extends outside.

I won't give any clues, safe to say if you bought shares in this business 12 years ago, your shares would have gone up 40 times in value. Like Harry's previous pic, all the 3 clues that you need to work it out are in the picture.

100_3796.JPG

I'll ask Harry to refrain from answering and give others a chance first...

Edited by digin

Adele

Digin,

Is it by any chance the OTHER Starbucks on the opporsite corner of Robson and Thurlow?

digin

Well done, Adele! You got it!

I believe this is the only place where two Starbucks lie diagonally opposite each other on the SAME street corner.

Some interesting facts about Starbucks in Canada...

494 Stores in Canada

206 lie in British Columbia

162 lie on the Lower Mainland (i.e. Greater Vancouver)

67 lie in Vancouver

19 in the West End

and, get this, 6 on one street, Robson Street!

On my walk home from Granville Station down Robson and onto Denman (about 1.5 km), I walk past 10 Starbucks in all - all 6 on Robson and 2 on Denman, 1 at the Station, and 1 on Granville Street! Luckilly, I'm a Tim Hortons fan or I'll be broke!

Edited by digin

Harry

That issue played quite heavily on the news here when they opened the second one. Somehow both are doing OK, it seems. Proves this place is nuts. :P

Harry

RAAI-RAAI 122

Having covered the oldest bank in Canada, where is THIS place and what is it? It is another oldest/first in Canada. I have intentionally cut the rest of the picture off, otherwise it would be a dead giveaway. I'll post the rest when you've identified it. I suspect digin, with his interest in buildings and architecture, will get this one.

5-03-22ship.jpg

No further clues....there are some in the picture...look carefully. It also requires you to know where the older settlements are in Canada. This one is a city. :P

Kobus & Adele

Hey Digin

Had a wonderful coffee at Starbucks in Menlyn today - had 2 hours to myself to get into the The Davinci Code. What a blast of a read!

I can fondly remember on a previous trip to Chicago in late Dec / Jan of 1999, Adele and I were walking down Michigan Avenue (wind howling), virtually praying for the next Starbucks to appear - (1 x Grande to drink and 1 to pour over your feet just to warm up)!!!!

Cheers

K :P

Rochelle

Well, I think the "Divinae Gratiae" gave away that it is a church ... I suspect the parts that you cut away are stained-glass windows?? But there is also a cross in the picture, so church it is then.

Oldest settlement ... had to be Quebec City.

So a few clever keystrokes later ...

This is the Eglise Notre-Dame-des-Victoires, the oldest stone church north of Mexico, and it is some 300 years old. The father of Canada, Samuel de Champlain, built his first residence here in 1608. Canada's first bishop, Francois Leval, built a church on the site about 80 years later.

Over the next 200 years, this little church had to endure several fires and epidemics.

The ship you see suspended from the ceiling is it's trademark, a reminder of the city's close association with the seafarers.

Tens of thousands of tourists and school children visit the church every year.

BevBrad
Oldest settlement ... had to be Quebec City.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do believe that the oldest European settlements are in Nfld and were the Vikings.

Brad

Edited by BevBrad

Rochelle

Sorry. I didn't mean to misquote Harry (or insult any Newfies!) ...

I meant to say "Older settlement ... had to be Quebec City"

Sorry :P

Harry

Rochelle...you have it, ma'am! And of course Brad is right...there is the much-debated possible Viking settlement in Newfie-land and then, in terms of "modern history", the French settlement at Port Royale (Annapolis Royal...where the whale was in a previous Raai-Raai)

The full picture looks like this:

insidechrch.jpg

The blurred image of the wife gives it away as a time-exposure. It occurred to me that it is going to be a bit of a problem if that ship comes down on the heads of the congregation.

Matisse

Harry, that ship really stumped me! My immediate reaction when I saw the picture was that it must be a church. But then I just couldn't believe that a ship would be part of the decoration in a church, and I ended up searching for all kinds of other things. ;)

I am sure that ship has already been the start of many interesting thoughts by members of the congregation, both old and young, while sitting through a dry sermon.

Harry

Matisse,

now you know how my devious mind works. ;)

I'm pondering my next one!

Harry

RAAI-RAAI 123

Staying with matters historic. This one is compulsory Canadian history for all Ex-SAners...particularly Afrikaners.

AND SO: Where is this building, what is it and what is the siginificance of the site?

CLUES:

1. There is a poem associated with a fictitious person at this place

2. There is a statue to the person outside the building

3. The Brits "are the bad guys in the picture" in this case. (Just for once it is not us)

4. There are lots of names inscribed at the place and they are strikingly familiar

5. The poet's wife died an extremely unfortunate death...her dress caught fire while doing their daughter's hair with wax.

6. I'm not sure the poet was really all that tall.

pic62.jpg

The locals will find it very easy...those further away can see clues in the picture