Sign in to follow this  
Harry

RAAI-RAAI Rides Again!

Harry

The nickname for a British soldier is the same word as the rock opera! In fact, the heritage website of the area shows soldiers with British Boer War-type helmets with their horses at the river....at least I presume it is the river.

Harry

Nahhh! Digin, you'll have to tell us your stab at the answer....and then I declare Raai-Raai dead.

Rochelle

I got as far as Khaki - the nickname for a British soldier. And the rock opera ... the only link there: Kaki Hunter from "Roadie"???

Permanent fear ... phobia?

I'm stumped :unsure:

Harry

"phobia" is right. Say the word, and spell it differently..."fobia"

The Rock opera was by The Who ( the first Rock opera ever, as I recall), and contained songs like "Pinnball Wizard" and "See me, feel me". Those of us who were around in the 60's would know these things.

As with "phobia", write the word down and then re-write it ...but with just four letters.

So now you know, it is not Khakifobia but......( errrr yes, what?)

I did give other clues...like "Bonne Chance!"...which was hopefully a dead giveaway that it is in Quebec.

When I got there I thought this name was just too weird for words. This is the kind of stuff I tend to notice.....like the place in Scotland called "Achtertyre"

Merv

Something along the lines of "Tommyfoba" ??

Hendie

Liewe land Harry, jy's erger as 'n blokkiesraaisel! : Tomifobia Rivier - vloei deur die grensdorp Stanstead in Québéc.

Harry

Hendie gets the cigar!

That was really close Merv. See, it works!

British soldiers have been called "Tommy" for centuries. I figured the guys in Quebec may have had a "Tommy"-phobia = Tomifobia. I even downloaded a MIDI file of Pinnball Wizard from the rock opera Tommy by the who last night, but could not get it to work on SACanada somehow.

It is very beautiful along the Tomifobia, by the way

5-03-17tomifobia.jpg

As you can see, I pulled the car off the road...any place with a name like this was worth a stop! I also have a picture of Achtertyre in Scotland! ;)

Harry

RAAI-RAAI 116

Where was this picture taken? What is it?

whatzis.jpg

Clues:

1. I had just a few minutes to take the shot

2. It is a cold place

3. The first part of the name sounds like the name of an extremely contentious SA political figure..and the second has something to do with a washday

4. The townsfolk once gave the Provincial speaker a tar bath!

5. The name of the town is derived from the First Nations name of "muddy water"

digin

Hi Harry

You've given too many clues for the place - it's name was obvious without the need for googling. As for the exact building, I'll guess that its the ceiling of a famous dome on which stands a rather valuable young man. Am I correct?

Harry

digin, I dunno...now you've got me.

I tried to reduce the complexity a bit from the last one...I have to give Hendie a decent chance, you know! B)B)

BevBrad

Harry,

I think its an Infra red heater in one of your Motel bathrooms B)

Brad

Harry

Nahhh..tough luck , Brad. We never stayed in a motel on the trip we took this shot on. B)

So, I had to take the picture fairly quickly...why would that be?....read some of my other recent posts...eg The Canadian B)

The folks in the relevant town may never have noticed this item.

Cathy
1. I had just a few minutes to take the shot
So it had to be on your train trip when you only had a few moments off the train.
3. The first part of the name sounds like the name of an extremely contentious SA political figure..and the second has something to do with a washday
You must mean our friend Winnie Winnipeg

My first thought when I saw the photo was that it looked like a station and Voila! the dome in Union Station in Winnipeg. Must say Harry for all you only had a short time your photo was much nicer than the one I found on Google.

Did you know it was designed by the same architects who designed New York's Grand Central station?

P.S Why do you want to kill RAAI-RAAI Harry it is a real fun way to learn about the places and history of Canada. Personally I have learnt a stack.

Edited by Cathy

digin

I thought it was the ceiling of the rotunda of the Manitoba Legislature. Above the ceiling on the dome stands the Golden Boy. However, I've sinced googled a picture of that dome, and it's nothing like the pic. So Union Station it must be...

Harry

Yep,

that was the station in Winnipeg. We rushed out to go get some snacks, but somehow picked the wrong exit and ran out of time. We therefore went back inside and I put the camera on the floor and took this shot of the ceiling-dome, which I found quite intriguing.

Congratulations, Cathy!

Cathy,

I have only once ever taken a train out of Grand Central Station in New York, and I had no hope of looking up at the time...I would have been crushed! I took the Hudson Line back to MtKisco, where we lived...and there was an actual conductor shouting out the stations! I liked that! Afterwards I saw the pieces of track that were literally missing out of the line, and I decided to never take a train in those parts again.

As for killing Raai-Raai......that was just me "tripping over my bottom lip" because I was not getting any reaction to my efforts at re-energizing Raai-Raai, given that I had specifically moved away form shots of BC where I live..

Harry

RAAI-RAAI 117

Where was this picture taken?

beach.jpg

Clues:

1. It is a National Park, that is the sea out there and the picture faces north :)

2. A famous author lived nearby. A house features prominently in the first famous book of this author. The author did NOT really live in the house, contrary to popular belief. The house actually belonged to cousins of the author's grandfather.

3. The First Nations Folks in these parts speak Mic'maq ( "mikmah")

4. The area has, within Canada, the same connotation as what Idaho has in the USA. :cry: sub-clue: ...."I'm loving it" ( remember these words from somewhere?)

5. The water is extraodinarily warm in August..much better than Port Elizabeth as I recall..there is a reason to do with sea currents...SO, YES!...I've been there..I only post RAAI-RAAI shots on places I have been :lol:

So, this one is dead easy! I'll start figuring out another one so long.

Matisse

It must be in the Maritimes, one of the places you have visited.

I guess it's the Prince Edward Island National Park, which includes the Anne of Green Gables heritage farm. It was the inspiration for Lucy Maud Montgomery's classic work, Anne of Green Gables. The farm was actually the home of David Jr. and Margaret Macneill, who were cousins of Mongomery's grandfather. Shortly after her death in 1942, Lucy Maud Montgomery was recognized by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada as being a person of national historic significance, and a monument and plaque were erected at Green Gables in 1948.

Archaeological surveys in the Park have located various Mi'kmaw sites.

Later on Acadian families settled in the area, which started with the establishment of Port-la-Joye in 1720.

At the moment I will have to take your word about the warm water, Harry. Hopefully I will be able to test it personally when I visit the Maritimes sometime.

Edited by Matisse

lisabella

:) Hey Capetonians, been here??? We were here for New Year, love it!!!!

Isabella, I made the pictures smaller so folks can see them on the screen and can download them 10 times more easily....Harry

post-872-1111361797_thumb.jpg

post-872-1111361810_thumb.jpg

Edited by Harry

digin

This looks like an Ocean Basket?

Harry

Matisse,

yes that is correct, and I can see that you quoted directly from the National Parks website! :)

THINKs: hmm..thought that was too easy...got it first shot.

Matisse
yes that is correct, and I can see that you quoted directly from the National Parks website! 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry Harry, but I was too lazy to type it out!

Thinks: Is there nothing that escapes his eyes? I hope he's not working for copyright enforcers! :)

Liz

Harry..the 'red' sand gave it away too......

Harry

RAAI-RAAI 118

Where was this picture taken? More particularly, what are all the people looking at? The time is August 2004.

people.jpg

Clues:

1. There is a road to the left of the picture. Something is in the water to the right of the road, and which should, by rights, be to the left of the road :)

2. This is a few hundred yards from the earliest settlement by Western People in Canada

3. There is electricity generated at this place.

4. The generators were turned off because of what the people are looking at

Harry

Liz,

I thought you'd get that previous one first!

Matisse,

I actually am an intellectual property guy....but you can chill out!

BevBrad

It looks like they are all having a whale of a time! As the tide comes in the bulb will go on.