Sign in to follow this  
Harry

RAAI-RAAI Rides Again!

Adele

THE CHAPPLE LIGHTHOUSE?

Built in 2003 at the waterfront the Chapple lighthouse recognizes a time before the railway when most of our settlers and supplies arrived by steamers that came from Rat Portage (Kenora), across Lake of the Woods and up the Rainy River. It was built according to blueprints provided to us by the Canadian Coast Guard and bricks in the base come from the Barwick Hotel and before that from Dobie #4 block school built in 1912, so these blocks have a long history in Chapple as well.

The project was written up in Lighthouse Digest, issue February-March 2004. Researcher Michel Forand says “a number of navigational lights were established on the river. These were post and mast lights that can’t be classified as lighthouses. As far as he’s been able to tell there’s never been a true lighthouse on the Rainy River – until now, that is.

The project, sponsored by the Chapple Heritage Committee, was completed and official lighting ceremony was held in September 2003. The light shines from dusk to dawn.

As the plaques show, donors to the project ‘bought a brick’ in honor of a friend or in memory of a loved one. The names go on small gold plaques on the model at the museum and are also etched in granite markers attached to the lighthouse. This an ongoing project and if you would like to purchase a brick ($100.00), you can contact the Chapple Heritage Committee at P. O. Box 54, Barwick, ON P0W 1A0 or the Chapple Township Office. The History behind Chapple Township

Hendie

Oh come on Adele! This was meant to lure HARRY out of the cobwebs of his office! But yes, you're correct. We visited the lighthouse on our 2006 tour of Ontario. Google is NOT my friend today!

Hendie

RAAI-RAAI 156 - Thunder Bay, ON : Sleeping Giant National Park

Due to radical improvements to the Google search engine, management has mandated that no clues will be presented for this one. You will just have to recognise it!

post-2-1275020252.jpg

dieulefit

Waar's Harry?! Kan iemand vir hom laat weet hy word gemis of is hy dalk vermis...... .

Hendie

RAAI-RAAI 157 - Calgary, AB : Groundhogs at Olympic Plaza

Not much I can say about these, just noticed them recently, and just HAD to take a piccie! Anyone seen them before?

post-2-1275857563.jpg

Adele

What are they? Squirrels? Ground Hogs?

Harry

Wat Raai-Raai 156 betref...Jammer, jy sal moet clues gee.

Mense, ek is in sig van die einde van die skrywery...na meer as drie jaar. Gee kans.

Lorrett

Olympic Plaza, Downtown Calgary.

Hendie

RAAI-RAAI 158 - Lloydminster, SK : Sky Dance artwork for Saskatchewan Centennial 2005

post-2-1279509330.jpg

post-2-1279510021.jpg

OK, I'll supply some clues:

• Living Skies
  • This is one of four artworks commissioned for this province's centennial
  • The town where this structure is erected was founded by Barr colonists from England in 1903-04.
  • Click on the first photograph!

Hendie

RAAI-RAAI 159 - Vegreville, AB : Ukranian Pysanka

For this one, all you need to do is go to the first RAAI-RAAI thread and scan the first page for the answer. I wanted to post my version because of the unique night-time view ...

post-2-1279511183.jpg

Vir dié van julle nog in Suid-Afrika, let op: dis net sterk skemer, en dié foto is half elf in die nag geneem!

macdonlg

RR158: Could it be LLoydminster?

Cathy

RAAI-RAAI 158

Definitely Lloydminster. Is the statue in Alberta or Saskatchewan?

RAAI-RAAI 159

I'll get to Vegreville one day.

BTW we give up on RAAI-RAAI 157 so please put us out of our misery.

Heinrich

Hendie, Cathy is 100% korrek, hierdie Pysanka (Ukrainian) is in Vegreville in Alberta...

Stefan

Raai-Raai #156 : Ek raai Sleeping Giant Provincial Park naby Donderbaai, Ontario :)

Hendie

Heeltemal korrek Stefan! Goeiste, tyd dat ek dié tema weer bietjie lewe gee!

Hendie

RAAI-RAAI 160 - Cape d'Or Lighthouse, Advocate Harbour, Fundy Bay, NS
Let's see if we can interest some of our newer Canada road trippers in some RaaiRaai fun, Clues on this one:

• This Bay has fundamentally the most extreme tide changes in the world.
  • For lighthouse hunters this is a golden find!
  • The nearby community is protected by one of the few "dykes" in this part of the world, from the extreme tidal changes.

Untitled
  • Like 1

Advocate Harbour, Nova Scotia! tongue.gif Thanks for the external link Hendie....

Hendie

Damn! I forgot about the geolocation on that photograph! Oh well, there is always a next time! ;)

• Like 1

Stefan

RAAI-RAAI 161 - where is this?

Clues: landmark hotel , great whale-watching destination. Getting here, the ferry is free.

Any guesses?

9775241733_753957a316.jpg

Stefan

Nog 'n clue: it's also nice for sea-kayaking, if you can handle the currents at the confluence of a fjord and a great seaway, as well belugas coming close to check you out.

Sideline

Tadoussac Bay hotel, Quebec Canada

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tadoussac,_Quebec

"...The modern village of Tadoussac lies close to the site of the original settlement at the mouth of the Saguenay River. It is known as a tourist destination because of the rugged beauty of the Saguenay fjord and its facilities for whale watching."

Edited by Sideline

Stefan

As they say here, "You got it, Pontiac!" I'm impressed that you found it from all the way over there in Joburg.

Edited by Stefan
  • Like 1

Sideline

hee hee,

Well I love to research odd and interesting topics. Also gives us a list of many places worth putting on the Canadian Bucket list. I started reading this thread from page one and oh boy we are going to be busy....

Blesbuck

Whose flag is this?

post-2387-0-46677600-1414687497_thumb.jp

cliveza

Vancouver Island