Sign in to follow this  
Harry

RAAI-RAAI Rides Again!

Harry

RAAI-RAAI 143

It is winter again. It is snowing outside. My car is trapped in the carport. So it is time for the Raai-Raai season. I thought I'd start with a radically different kind of "sight", hopefully still informative, and fun to figure out:

QUESTIONS:

1. What aeroplane is this? Its name, please! ( two accepable answers)

2. Who is the manufacturer and which country are they in?

3. Where is it based? The name of the base, please!

4. What is it used for? A few answers.

5-12-04plane.jpg

CLUES:

1. The plane was flying northeastwards

2. Anne Murray (yes, the singer!) comes from the piece of land across the water

3. The base, which is home to a few squadrons, is behind the back of the photographer, but miles away.

4. The manufacturer is famous for its "Skunkworks".

5. A SAAF transport workhorse, whose Canadian cousin was in the local political news in the last two weeks, comes from the same stable. Probably the most ubiquitous transport plane since the famous Dakota.

BevBrad

Here we go,

It is a CP-140A Arcturus which is based on the Orion P-3 airframe. I cannot tell whether it has the anti-submarine "stuff" which would make it an "Aurora". Made by Lockheed in the USA.

Used for maritime recon and search and rescue.

I would imagine that the coast in the background is New B. Which means the water is the Bay of Fundy. And of course Anne Murray is from around here.

Based in Greenwood AFB, Nova Scotia. (14 Wing)

Harry

Yep, you've got it , Brad! Do you know the guys there, or did you look it up?

...except that the piece of land in the background is the isthmus of Nova Scotia...the bit that attaches it to New Brunswick. That piece of land is where Anne Murray comes from.

Check out the Air Force page here.

So take your tiny wings and fly away.... [snowbird...by Anne Murray]

I took that picture while visiting you guys in Nova Scotia in August 2004....on the Bay of Fundy coast.

The SAAF plane is the Hercules or C130.

The famous "skunkworks" turned our planes like the blackbird SR-71. The term "skunkworks" is now widely used in High Tech companies to describe groups of very clever guys that turn our weird/impossible stuff in double-quick time when others said it could not be done. Half thetime the teams do not deserve the title.

Cathy K

Harry

I must respectfully disagree with you. The SAAF Hercules C130 is a high-wing configuration, whereas the CP-140A Arcturus is a low-wing. There is a vast difference between the two.

Pierre K.

Harry

errrr.....Pierre,

read again what I said. The recent political debate in Canada was about replacing the ageing RCAF Hercules transports, not about the plane in the raai-raai. Of course, it is more completely known as the Lockheed Hercules....hence the connection to the raai-raai.

Cathy K

Harry

Sorry man, soos gewoonlik kyk ek net die prentjies en lees nie die storie nie. Sal moet ophou oud word :o

Pierre K.

BevBrad
Yep, you've got it , Brad! Do you know the guys there, or did you look it up?

I had to do it the hard way. Internet research. But I did have a head start as I recognized the area and I think I have seen one of those flying around as well. You almost had me with the base though, I was going to say Shearwater. Good thing I checked.

Hey, guess what. I see we have had a few snow flakes tonight. It's a bit white out there. Unusual for us they are drifting down gently. Last winter all our snow came in the form of bizzards !!

Brad

Harry

Yeah! We're sending over the cold air, to take care of all the hot air generated in the vicinity of Ottawa.

DougieFaure

Harry - yes the hot air down our way has heated up the city - Sunday was not bad - although snowy.

And I see the forecast is for colder weather - longer term - seems those politicos must be running out of hot-air.

Dougie (Ottawa)

shaun

RAAI-RAAI 144

The most notable owner of this building entertained the Prince of Wales in 1860.

He was also the president of the Great Western Railway at one point.

He was Knighted.

He was appointed the Queens Council.

Given the political flavour on SACanada at present, I'll mention the fact that he was the Tory Party leader (opposition party) during this time.

He helped bring forward a bill that would compensate people whose property had been damaged or destroyed during the Lower Canada Rebellion.

So......without further a do....

1) who was he?

2) more importantly what is this building?

BTL066.jpg

Edited by shaun

Harry

a] Sir Allan Napier MacNab

b] Dundurn Castle.

Too much info, Shaun!...... :ph34r:

Harry

It is raining ou-m**de-met-knopkieries outside...

the skies are grey....

the TV is useless. .....

It is November! It is time to switch on...( wait for it).....

RAAI-RAAI 145

raai145.jpg

This building is in a town in Canada......BUT WHERE? And what is the building?

It used to be a town where one would buy leather belts and stuff like that, but the young men who brought that culture to the town are now 56 or older and kids are putting together serious pragmatic lives. The town is still very liberal, as folks from those parts will know very well. It has vaguely the same reputation in its province as what Grahamstown used to have in in the East Cape, minust the Xhosas of course. In fact, that part of Canada has a long-standing reputation for harbouring disaffected groups from various places.

I think I know who is going to figure this one out.

It hit the news recently when the City wanted to put up a memorial to the particular young men. A lo-o-o-o-t of folks were NOT impressed.

KateyLee

Is it Nelson British Columbia??

I'm probably wrong though. My Canadian history knowledge isn't that good yet!

Harry

And you would be right, ma'am!

So what is the building, and who are the "young men" and what was the "big noise" about recently?

KateyLee
And you would be right, ma'am!

So what is the building, and who are the "young men" and what was the "big noise" about recently?

I'm not sure about the building. I recognised the photo and story from news about a memorial they wanted to build for war dodgers. I think the building may have been a government building? People were upset because they didn't want to glorify Vietnam war dodgers and this was further complicated by a case of an American soldier who had recently filed a refugee claim to avoid serving in Iraq.

But I might be confusing the news pieces!

KateyLee

My google search reveals that the building *may* be City Hall, although it has been a post office and customs house in the past. It was built by an Eastern Canadian architecture firm, therefore giving it a Chateau style all the way in Western Canada.

Harry

100% correct, Maya.

CONGRATULATIONS! :ph34r:

Now we wait for digin to post one! :D

KateyLee

Yay! I got lucky with that one. Nelson is one of the 4 town/cities in B.C that I am vaguely familiar with and it was in the news recently. I probably won't get lucky again :ph34r:

I think I have a few clues to post if I understand the game correctly.

RAAI-RAAI 146

Have a look at these 2 photos:

290125705_b3238e4cba.jpg

290125633_8f0eaba072.jpg

And tell me in which city they were taken and the name of the location.

Clues:

1. This area was once a prolific producer of a 'highly valued' consumable commodity.

2. It has also been the 'stage' for a well-known story from another age centred around the quest for fame with a little murder along the way.

3. Both these past incarnations are somewhat appropriate considering the areas current purpose.

Any takers??

Harry

This might be the supposedly highly haunted distillery in Toronto that featured at some point on Canada's Most Haunted.

KateyLee

That is right Harry, well done! It is the Distillery District.

290125732_63c95e98e3.jpg

It is a national historic site and is the largest best preserved collection of Victorian Industrial Architecture in North America. It contributed more money to Canada's GDP than any other industry when it was the most productive distillery in all of the British Empire.

It is now filled with restaurants and art galleries. But there is still a distillery there and there are lots of parties and festivals there during the summer time. It is also used as a set in many Hollywood movies. For example, the movie musical 'Chicago' was shot there!

More information about the history of the district can be read here.

Harry

RAAI-RAAI 147

raai147.jpg

CLUES:

1. This Canadian town is practically on the border of the USA.

2. Those chimneys belong to a very well-known Canadian mining company.(I did business with them from SA in the 1980s.)

3. The River eventually becomes one of the biggest in North America

4. One of its tributaries starts in the Canadian mountains, then goes to the US, and then goes back to Canada to join the river in the picture!!

5. Utterely amazingly, that major tributary actually passes within just one kilometre of the river in the picture at one point.

QUESTIONS:

1. Which town is this?

2. Which river is this?

3. Which company owns those chimneys?

4. Which is the crazily meandering international tributary?

5. At which nearby Canadian town does the tributary join the river in the picture?

6. In which North American City is the Headquarters of that mining company?

creston

Trail, Columbia, Tech Cominco, Kootenay, Castlegar, Vancouver.

Mooi foto.

Watter rigting loop die rivier in die foto? 06:00 na 12:00 of andersom?

Harry

Kriegler,

I thought you'd be the one to get it. The river flows toward you ( towards 6 'o clock) in the photo.

Dis die Columbia oppad na die VSA grens agter die fotograaf se rug. Die pad van Castlegar af kom al langs die linkerwal van die rivier af.

Merv

RAAI-RAAI 148

Hi All, bit of a different one this time around :P . I was playing around with the camera and came across something that intrigued me. Your task is to find out where might one find these inscriptions. It is DEFINTELY an integral part of Canadian society, you will just have to look very closely at your surroundings :ph34r:

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

Adele

Would these plaques be found at the local libraries?

Roch Carrier is an author as is Gabrielle Roy and John McCrae was more than a poet, but was also in fact a doctor, soldier, author and artist.