Sign in to follow this  
Harry

RAAI-RAAI Rides Again!

Harry

RAAI-RAAI RIDES AGAIN

I thought I'd start a new Raai-Raai Topic. The original has become very long, and it feels to me as though it has lost its direction just a tad.

My idea was, and is now again, that we post these in the form of an educational quiz, giving folks some clues that will alllow them to look things up on Google or the like, and which will make them think just a little about Canada. So, the picture itself does not have to be significant..but the question should be.

I am nuts about geography and interesting groups of people and stuff like that. So, to me it is always interesting to learn which First Nations folks live where, and to understand why on Earth people are in the specific place etc etc etc. This means history gets involved just a little. In the process we learn about Canada....hopefully in an interesting way.

When one has figured the answer out, it should be a sort of "aha!" or "well whaddayaknow!" experience. It should sort of at least be worth a "Ja-well-no-fine".

If folks were to go back to some of the early ones I placed, they'll notice that I was playing on examples of things and places in Canada that had something in common with SA...like Boerbokke, or Suidwesdoringbome etc. In others I tried to fool them with water "running backwards" in a unique phenomenon over here called a skookumchuck.

In this spirit, I am trying a again, even though it is actually not simple putting these together, and the "aha" will not always be equally big.....I think I can manage a well-thought-through one a week at best.

So here goes....

Harry

RAAI-RAAI 101

In the following picture you can see a hotel, a taxi and a First Nations man standing in front of the booth from which the taxi operates.

Questions:

1. Where was this picture taken?

2. Which First Nation is the dominant group in this town?

CLUES:

1. The Sioux are/were Plains Indians

2. This picture was not taken on the Prairie.

3. The town is on the Canadian Shield

4. There is not really much north of there...a bit like Ellisras

5. There are two major ways of getting to this town

6. It was a really big deal when we rolled into this town

7..YES, I took the picture.

sioux.jpg

digin

Harry, I'd take a guess and say this is Sioux Lookout in Ontario. You can reach it from the 72 and 642 if I have a look at Mappoint. I believe it is the Wawakapewin First Nation, also knowm as the Shibogama, that is dominant here. Am I correct? If so, I'll post a raai-raai of my own.

Harry

Digin,

YEP! You've got it! I would settle for the larger grouping of Ojibwa ( Ojibway) people. If one starts dividing it down further you get into endless lists. The Cree ( rather different folks) are also a large group in the area.

In the 19th century the Ojibwa peoples successfully resisted the Sioux in these parts, after the Sioux had really slaughtered them for a long time....hence "Sioux Lookout", I believe. There are about 20 different individual First Nations communities in the area, totalling some 15,000 peple.

You will remember the Sioux from Custer's Last Stand, Little Big Horn and from the subsequent Massacre ( including the killing of Sitting Bull) of the Sioux at Wounded Knee. I believe the Sioux were really mostly in the Dakotas, Wyoming and Montana, but I can do more homework. So I imagine these were their most northeasterly efforts.

The two "ways" I had had in mind were ROAD and RAIL. The VIA Rail Canadian goes through here. It is a very big deal when the train rolls in. The train seems to take absolutely forever, crossing these outlying parts of Ontario. It finally rolls into Sioux Lookout...then the village taxi starts rushing around. My wife walked over to the the little shop across the first road. When they entered the shop, the lady behind the counter yelled over her shoulder : "train's in!!"

If you follow the railway line on the map, you'll find it seems to go through the "Northern Wilderness of Ontario"....until it finally reaches Sioux Lookout. From there things tend to be more "tame" all the way to Winnipeg. On the way to Sioux Lookout it is seriously slow going and it is lake after forest afetr puddle after forest after lake...simply endless. Now and then, ages apart, one finds an old disused railway siding on which the buildings now serve as hunting cottages. I saw pretty much zero roads...I guess one flies in by float plane.

I doubt whether the folks in Toronto could ever imagine the difference between urban, bright, worldly Toronto.....and the country on the way to Sioux Lookout...in the same province. I repeat...it gave me the feeling of Ellisras...a border town at the end of things.

This really is a land of contrasts....and it is seriously big.

ALL YOURS DIGIN!

digin

RAAI-RAAI 102

Here is an easy one, so easy that I am going to open this question to people who have not being to the East Coast - I suspect all East Coasters will get this one:

What product would you buy from the store located below, and what do the letters PFK stand for:

post-427-1102827309.jpg

Clues

1. The company has 11 000 stores in 80 countries.

2. Its stock symbol describes the product.

3. The business was started by a retiree.

shaun

KFC

Harry

So give it to us in French.

Hendie

Poulet Frit Kentucky

Why do the French always write things backwards? Is that just to be different from the English???

Just like the Canada Olympic Park which becomes Parc Olympique Canada.

Hmmm :rolleyes:

PS. I created a custom BB code for the raai-raai titles:

[rr]NNN[/rr]

Harry

As my good friend Piet once said, after living in France for a long time...."ït is a Cartesian[rigid] culture...much more so than the Germans"....So read it like the Army:

shorts -jockey- white :rolleyes:

Harry

You're ON, Shaun....your turn.

Has to have a "twist" somewhere, remember!!

Charles

RAAI-RAAI 103

I think I will get involved again.

Here is I think 103?

Where is this Monument and to whom is it raised?

post-25-1102875925_thumb.jpg

digin

This is Brock's Monument in Queenston, Ontario. It commemorates the 1812 War.

For more information, see www.generalbrock.com/level2/monument.htm

digin

RAAI-RAAI 104

Where is this place, and what must you do to stay there?

post-427-1102877122_thumb.jpg

Clues:

1. It is one of 56 federal buildings serving a particular purpose.

2. One historical town contains 11 of these buildings.

3. You are looking at the oldest one, and it is in this historical town.

4. It is possible to stay in this prime lakeside property for free.

5. Superman also features somehow into the history of this building.

Edited by digin

Harry

I imagine you have to break the law pretty badly somehow....like killing someone?

I believe this is Kingston maximum security Penitentiary.......where they keep some serious baddies, like serial murderers.

It was used for a scene in Superman in the 1970's...when Superman delivered crooks to prison.

I don't know which are all the other prisons there, but the Correctional Services Department appears to be the biggest employer somehow.

Take a look HERE.

digin

Yep, you are right Harry. Over to you!

Harry

RAAI-RAAI 105

My braintwister for the weekend.....Where was this photo taken?

1. That is a famous ( or infamous) Admiral on his Column in the background (depending on whose side you are on) :)

2. Before the Admiral became famous, the Powers that Be left this place to the invaders without any resistance :o

3. One of the best known traitors on Earth was involved in the invasion. :angry:

4. The invaders were convinced there would be an uprising against the Powers that Be... but it never happened, which kind of messed up their plan! :)

5. It is a major international destination with two international airports

And, YES, it is a big place and it does have to do with Canada!...otherwise I would not place the quiz. Maybe Chubs (Simon) belives he has the answer. Be careful...all is not what it seems to be....you have been warned.

Digin, I know you have been to this particular place in the particular country and I believe you have the answer...so I'd like you to give folks a chance. ;)

nelson.jpg

Cathy K

Harry

Die Lord Nelson Column in Trafalgar Square, Londen?

Pierre K.

Harry

errr..Pierre,

It is absolutely true indeed that Nelson's Column is on Trafalgar Square in London...that is correct! :o:angry::):)

...is that your answer?! Going....going.......(!!)

Remember : "Be careful...all is not what it seems!"

London certainly has an admiral on a column

London certainly has more than one international airport!

To which invaders was London left?

Which famous traitor was an invader in London, England?

Anyone else that votes it is London.?

I have to have my fun Pierre! Please bear with me!!

shaun

RAAI-RAAI 106

Sorry to sqeeze in like this, but if I don't I'll never get a turn.

There's lost of Africa in this place, but its not in Africa!

post-940-1102948681_thumb.jpg

digin

Harry, I know where this is - but I'm not saying... But a clue for everyone - look at the direction of the stop street on the left of the picture!

Cathy K

Harry/Digin

Londoners (and everybody in England) drive on the right-hand side of the road.

Napoleon is regarded by many as a traitor for betraying the higher ideals of the French Revolution.

He wanted to wipe the English from the face of the earth.

Was this photo taken from in front of South Africa House on Trafalgar? See the many okes in kortbroek walking around there!

Pierre K.

digin

The last time I was in England, I drove on the left-side of the road! I believe this has always been the case, unlike in Europe where you drive, like North America on the right.

Edited by digin

Cathy K

Digin

Ag sorry man!

I got confused. I'm still thinking about it.

Pierre K.

Cathy K

Harry

Het jy die foto per ongeluk ge-'horizontal flip'?

Pierre K.

Harry

Nope...no horizontal flips :):angry::)

So, Digin is right....... Like I said...all is not what it seems. :o

He has revealed my carefully constructed pictorial clue. I really thought the car would draw people's attention to it! The stop sign faces away from the camera...OK!?

I knew for a fact that Digin had been there...at least within 150 yards of that column...and he most definitely would have walked down to where I took the picture from..so he HAD TO know the answer.

You'll get it Pierre....just hang in there....

As regards "..one of the best known traitors on Earth" : more than 200 million people have been taught that he was an arch-traitor. In fact he did quite well for his side ( as in the bit I referred to), before he blatantly switched sides. He shares one name with a famous and rather popular present day politician and another with an egg-dish. No, his name is not Quisling.

...there, now that ought to fool yer and give you some history to chew on.

Shaun, I gave you the gap but you were too slow Broer! We'll get to it! Promise!