Sign in to follow this  
Harry

Posting pictures on SACanada

Harry

Posting pictures on SACanada

pic11.jpg

There are two ways to do this:

A. ATTACHMENTS

The first method is to simply attach the picture to the posting using the File Attachment facility that you see when you are typing your message (in forums where you are allowed to post attachments). Each SACanada member has 2 Megabytes of memory allocated on SACanada’s system for this purpose.

picturePost01.gif

To do this, look below the box where you normally type your message. You will see a banner marked “File Attachments”. In the area below that banner you will find a window with a “browse” button next to it. Click on the browse button and then navigate to the place on your computer where you keep the file you wish to post. Click the button marked “Add this attachment”. The picture is sent to SACanada and stored on the forum server. The filename of the picture you just sent appears beneath the browse window.

You can now add further attached pictures to the same post. Note how your total available memory decreases as you do that.

picturePost02.gif

You CANNOT see the actual attachments in the PREVIEW pane when you hit the “preview post” button. They only appear on the screen when you actually hit the “Add reply” button. Normally attachments are just added to the bottom of your post, but you can override their placement by using the Add into Post button on the right of the attachment list in order to place your pictures within your text (when you click on the Add into Post button, that picture is added at the cursor position within the text edit box of your posting). Pictures posted in this way are automatically "thumbnailed" (reduced) to a maximum of 300 x 300 pixels. The original size picture is however still viewable by the reader, by just clicking on the thumbnail. Pictures smaller than 300 x 300 pixels are displayed as is, and not reduced.

You can see your stored attachment pictures by looking under "My Controls"- "Manage your attachments". You should see a list of all your attachments that are currently connected to live posts of yours on SACanada.

Please remember that some threads, such as those under Chit-Chat, erase themselves two weeks after the last post was posted. Any posts you had on that thread then also disappear. Along with them, your pictures disappear off that list.

B. LINKED IMAGES

This is the method that you see some folks, such as myself, use all the time. Unlike the attachment method, this method actually puts the picture on a website of your own. When someone then looks at SACanada, they see the message you posted to SACanada, but the SACanada system actually then goes and gets the picture from your website. This is why the picture may take some seconds to load...especially if it is big. So someone from SA may be viewing your post on the SACanada server machine in Calgary, but the picture in the same post may be coming from the Cayman Islands, such as in the case of Island Life’s posts! This method also displays the actual picture and NOT a thumbnail as with the attachment method above.

There are three things you will need to use this method.

1. Firstly, you need to have a webspace account with your Internet Service Provider (ISP). The typical deal from most ISP’s here in Canada, is to give you seven e-mail accounts per subscriber and to then give you 10 Megabytes of webspace per e-mail account. A typical Shaw subscriber in Vancouver, for example, has exactly that deal. This gives him/her 70 megabytes of webspace to play with. If you do not get "free" webspace from your ISP, you may want to consider some of the North American sites listed HERE or just search Google for Free web hosts...there are many. Photobucket is one. However, please make sure that you know what you are getting into, and that you do not burden your viewers, or SACanada members with nonsense ads.
  2. The second thing you need is a FTP software package (like FileZilla, CoffeeCup FTP or WS_FTP) or a package like FrontPage to upload the pictures to your webspace, which is on your ISP’s system. Most folks have MS-Office somewhere. MS-FrontPage is one of those things in that MS-Office package that were sold to you and which most folks never installed or never used. So go take a look whether you have it. Serious website designers don’t like FrontPage too much, but for the regular folks like us, it works just fine because it makes things simple for the user.
  3. The third thing you will need is a software package to manipulate and compress pictures. The best little package for this is a piece of Freeware called Irfanview. Download it now! You will NOT regret it. This little package is absolutely brilliant and was written by a young man from a beautiful town called Jajce in Yugoslavia who now lives in Austria. He really needs to be commended. It will display or play almost any form of media file that you will ever have. Of course, a lot of folks here have fancy stuff like Photoshop. If you have, you probably know how to use it. The explanation further down focuses on folks who have not used such packages.

The actual method:

Once you have your pictures on your website ( which we explain below) you simply post them on SACanada as follows:

When you compose the post, you use the IMG button that you see above the text box. When you click on that button, it opens a little window in which you already will see http://. After this you then type the address of the picture and you hit the OK button. This address will be provided by your ISP when you register your webspace. For Shaw clients, it will be something like: http://members.shaw.ca/joebloggs/picture.jpg, where joebloggs is the userid of the e-mail account that the webspace is linked to, and picture.jpg is the file you have uploaded. There may be more directories between the userid and the picture.jpg, depending on how you have prepared your web before uploading it.

To try this out, start a new post and click on that IMG button and then type in: http://www.sacanada.org/uploads/harry/pic11.jpg. (Make sure you do not have the http:// twice.) Hit the OK button. The stuff you typed now appears in the text window with some codes either side. You are quite right....you could have typed that yourself without using the "IMG" button. Now hit the Preview Post button....VOILA!! You should get the picture you see at the top of this page. Simple, EH!?

It is really THAT simple. The REAL problem, is learning how to manipulate your pictures to be the right size and to upload them to your webspace.

Fixing up your pictures:

This method displays the actual picture and NOT a thumbnail. It is therefore important to realise that SACanada is mostly viewed by folks with screens that have a pixel size of 1024X768. This means a picture in landscape format of 800X600 very neatly fits on the standard SACanada screen. The default unwritten agreement , is to post 640X480 pictures, and only do 800X600 in exceptional cases. This is because the folks in SA, who have to read SACanada over dial-up modems, have to wait for the pictures to load...and the bigger they are, they longer they take. In this respect 640X480 works best. Sizes bigger tan 800X600 take ages to load and just screw up the SACanada screen as viewed by most folks. If you do not know what all this means, don’t panic...just read on.

Navigate to the picture you are interested in using Windows Explorer ( Not Internet Explorer). Click on the picture. I trust this picture is in landscape mode and not portrait mode for the purposes of the present tutorial. Irfanview should open automatically and open the picture. If you have forgotten to install Irfanview, do it now and try again. If the image does not open, then open Irfanview, go to OPTIONS-PROPERTIES-EXTENSIONS and select JPG, BMP and GIF. Shut Irfanview down and, in Windows Explorer, click on the picture file again. The image should open.

Click on IMAGE and then on RESIZE/RESAMPLE. ( Alternatively you can just hold down the Ctrl button and hit “+” followed by “R”). At the top right in the panel that opens, select the radio button that is marked 640X480. Also make sure the box marked “Preserve Aspect Ratio” is ticked. It should always stay on. Now click “OK”. Voila!...your picture is now 640X480 in size.

Click “SAVE AS”. A window opens that allows you to select what type of file you wish to save it as. Be sure to select “JPG-JPEG files”. This will open a window with a slide bar. Set the slide bar to 40 or 50% quality. This should give you a file that is still good and which uses only about 40 kilobytes to 70 kilobytes of memory. The size will be determined by the amount of fine detail in the picture. The more detail, the larger the file. A picture of blue sky will compress to a very small file. Be sure to save this file in a place where you can find it. Please do not save your image files with names that have spaces.

LATER, when you are more familiar with everything, you can play with the IMAGE-SHARPEN and IMAGE-ENHANCE COLORS buttons before saving as above.

Uploading your pictures to your webspace

FrontPage is a special programme that has its own quirks, but which makes it very easy to publish stuff on the internet. For it to work like that, the ISP must have installed something called Microsoft FrontPage Server Extensions. Not all of them do it. Shaw has it. If your ISP has not done it, then FrontPage will simply default to using its built-in FTP ( File Transfer Protocol) system. FrontPage will tell you which of the two is in operation.

1. First your ISP must activate your webspace.

Clients of Shaw can look HERE for instructions on what to do.

2. Meanwhile you may want to create a "web":

This section is written specifically for folks that have MS-FrontPage. The folks that do not have MS-FrontPage, can always go to Tucows and download something like "My Internet Files", FileZilla, or WS_FTP, which are a popular FTP programmes. Some are Freeware. These are often more simple to use than FrontPage. However, FrontPage also is a tool to design websites. That's what I used to design mine HERE.

In FrontPage, you hit the "buttons” in the sequence: FILE - NEW - WEB - (Select One Page Web). Look at the box labeled "Specify location of the Web" and enter there the place you want to save it e.g. My Documents/My Webs/ Firstweb...this web will now be known as Firstweb. Click OPEN and then just click SAVE AS. A new window will open up...just click SAVE. You have hereby created a webpage having an index page with absolutely nothing on it and you have saved the "web" as a directory called Firstweb which should be under My Webs, which in its turn is under My Documents.

I suggest you use Windows Explorer ( that is, the file manager software of windows, not the internet browser, which is Internet Explorer) to look what is in that directory called Firstweb. You should see that it has automatically created a page called "Index” and it has created some sub-directories, ONE OF WHICH IS LABELLED "Images".

You can start collecting the images you want to post in there so long. You just save them into the directory called "Images"

3. When the ISP has indeed enabled your webspace, you just open FrontPage, open the web called Firstweb, and hit “Publish Web”!!

That will open a window that asks you to "specify the location you wish to publish your web to". There you enter the upload address the ISP gave you. Note that this may not be the location of your web when you view it...you upload one place, but view the results from another.

Select the "Publish changed pages only" option. It will contact the ISP automatically, and, after a while, ask you for a username and password. These would usually be your e-mail userid and password, but your ISP may give you alternative ones. There would be some difference in the operation between the FTP mode and the HTTP mode of Front Page. You may be forced to use FTP mode. Even so, it will still need that userid and password. In the FTP case, it may ask you to list specific directories or files that you wish to transfer. In that case, just select the whole image directory and carry on.

The website where Shaw, a popular Canadian ISP, describe their upload arrangement is HERE. It will look pretty similar for most other ISPs. Note that Shaw DOES have Microsoft FrontPage Server Extensions installed, but the user must enable it. The instructions for Telus users are HERE.

IN CONCLUSION:

I know all this sounds complicated, but, when you have done it once or twice, it is really simple. Please go ahead and try...and let me know where the instructions may be improved.

Karen

Thank you so very much, Harry.

I have finally managed to post my very first pictures on SACanada and I am thrilled!

shaun

Harry

Thank you for your time and effort with the above info.

Once again you have done the Harry magic with this posting.

A big thank you!!!!

Shaun

Harry

Its a pleasure folks, but Hendie made a huge contribution here, correcting a bundle of my mistakes and adding screenshots, and stuff like that.

Marg

Hi Harry,

I can't seem to find the "What We All Look Like" forum. :lol: I would like to post a photo or two. Maybe, I missed it?

Thanks,

Marg

Zanie

Hi Marg.

I think that's one of the topics that dissapeared into space! lol... We'll have to start a new link...

Zanie

Marg

Thaks Zanie. I'll wait until we have a new post. ;)

Harry

Yes, its one of a horde that died. We're trying to fix, but it will take time.

Ann

One way of reducing the size of pictures is to use the default software in Windows XP.

First open Windows Explorer to find your picture/s.

Right click on the picture, then select Send To / Mail Recipient.

Then a small dialogue box will come with the heading "Send Pictures via E-mail". It is set to the default option of "Make all my pictures smaller". Just click OK and an email will be composed containing the picture/s. Send the email to yourself and when you receive it save the picture into another file name, e.g. "MyCat.jpg" becomes "MyCatsmall.jpg".

Hope this help those struggling with large photos.

Marg

Thanks Ann. That's a great way to see if a photo turns out okay by emailing it back to me. I have Windows XP so it should not be a problem.

Marg

Merv

Good tip Anne. Marq, you don't even have to send the e-mail to yourself. XP will create a new mail message from which you can then just click on the picture and "save as" (give the pic a new file name eg. pic1_resized) and there you have it. Delete the email message after you have saved the pic. Great little "quick and dirty" method.

BTW, when XP prompts you to reduce the size, you can click on "show more options", this then allows you to choose the size of the pic instead of accepting the default which is 640 x 480.

Edited by Merv

Marg

Thanks Merv. I'll try your method next time.

Marg

Cathy K

I do believe that we are limited as far as the size of the photos we post are concerned. Perhaps Harry or Hendie can give us an update on that.

I sometimes find it difficult to open certain topics because of the size of some photos. They are utterly superb, but if we in Canada have difficulties, imagine how our members in South Africa struggle with this. :)

Cathy K.

Merv

For this (and most forums) 640 x 480 is ideal, I take it up to 800 x 600 if there is an exeptional pic I want to show

Karen

I do not seem to be able to post a single picture any longer, even although I have reduced them to the smallest possible size. I keep getting a notice that my pics are too large for my filespace, yet on SA Australia, I have no problem getting anything attached.

Help, please!!

Hendie

Karen, have a look in your control panel - it will tell you if you have used up your quota of photographs.

Karen

Thanks, Hendie.

I think I have used up my quota, but does that mean I can never post another?

How come Harry, our most prolific photo poster does not run out of space?

How do I get some space back again?

shaun

Create a Photobucket, Flickr, Myspace, etc account and then link the picture to your post instead of using the attatchment function from SACanada. Storage space on SACanada is limited.

Read back through this topic for an explination from Harry on how to do it.

Karen

Thank you.

Hendie
LifeHacker, one of my daily stops on the Internet recently conducted a poll for Photo Sharing Websites. Worth a read!

vinceb

The linked to images have disappeared - on Firefox but are visible on IE ??

Edited by vinceb

ANIELIA

Ok hi so what about profile pictures :) thnx

Cathy K

What is the easiest way to post pictures. Any help to do it properly?

Merida

I thought I saw an option to Manage attachments (images) but I don't seem to be able to find it now.  

Where does one find the option to manage attachments, e.g. to remove old attachments to free up space?

Edited by Merida

Zealan
7 hours ago, Merida said:

I thought I saw an option to Manage attachments (images) but I don't seem to be able to find it now.  

Where does one find the option to manage attachments, e.g. to remove old attachments to free up space?

Click on your username on the top right. Under "Content", go to "My attachments".

There isnt a way to remove them all though. It looks like you may need to click on the post and remove each one manually.

You should rather host the image elsewhere, and paste the link. The forum will fetch and display the image, without taking up some of your allocation.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this